So, ...um... How Do You Tell Someone...

viking66

I am fan of motorcycles. Road Racing, Dirt,Trials its all good. DNF is used there to denote in a race standing or result: Did Not Finish. Its UGLY. For whatever the myriad of reasons, be they mechanical, spiritual, bluntforce,whatever. NO GOOD.Which brings me to today.

There we are, a caching buddy and myself, and we were 1 for 3 today. On a day of DNF retries. Getting the picture? Oh, the redeeming aspect was getting the micro that was really well hid; a good hide. But of the other two. GRRRRR. Sure weve got a littany of reasons; bounce, bad math (not ), sun was in my eyes, the whole nine yards. One is a second stage of a multi, dastardly well hidden, recently found by some seasoned searchers. That caches owner got hung up on stage 2 of my cache, so were even. Well actually ,no, he found mine in January.

The other is by some neophyte who seems to have a knack for hiding things really well.

All I can say is Ill be glad when Im past these. Thanks for the vent.

Peace

Uhhhh,

The hider is playing a game called geocaching. They are evidently playing it right because their cache was approved.

You are also playing a GAME (sport/hobby/obsession/etc.) evidently called MY version of Geocaching 1.5, or maybe even 2.O. You seem to be failing at your game if you are not able to enjoy it. Snoogans (I forget when.)

"Failure is a hard pill to swallow until you realize the only failure you can really have in this sport is the failure to enjoy yourself."

TotemLake 4/26/04

We are new to caching...about 3 weeks or so...

There was this hunt yesterday that we triple checked the coordinates on two different GPS and it put

us smack in the middle of a big field each time!

We looked and looked and puzzled and looked and read clues and read posts from other finders and then

started all over again and looked and looked and looked and read, and read and read and read......

Well, anyway......I am not giving up. We are going back fresh one day this week. And No, I did not enter a DNF yet......cause I "ain't through lookin'"!

Chuck :rolleyes:

Hi chuckwagon101,

Welcome to a new sport, and good luck with it. You have the right attitude of not giving up. That is the one thing that is key it is persistance. So, with every DNF, there is a renewed effort. When I opened this thread I stated how I "Hated their caches" well, that is not entirely so. What I hated was not finding them. Like you, I aint through looking!

Thanks for your reply, and once again welcome.

And No, I did not enter a DNF yet......cause I "ain't through lookin'"!

DNF's are not the devil. Sometimes a DNF log is the funnest, and adds to the cache when it is finally found. Plus others can laugh at your travails when they walk right up to it! :)

We approach every cache as if we aren't done until it is found, and we continue to log DNF's until we DF! I think it adds to the flavor of the particular cache. Just last week, we logged a find on a cache the we DNFed a couple of times......last year!

Hey, we weren't thru lookin! :anicute::anicute:

We are new to caching...about 3 weeks or so...

There was this hunt yesterday that we triple checked the coordinates on two different GPS and it put

us smack in the middle of a big field each time!

We looked and looked and puzzled and looked and read clues and read posts from other finders and then

started all over again and looked and looked and looked and read, and read and read and read......

Well, anyway......I am not giving up. We are going back fresh one day this week. And No, I did not enter a DNF yet......cause I "ain't through lookin'"!

Chuck :)

That sounds like it might be worth emailing the owner to ask if coords are correct. One of my earliest finds was like that and the owner discovered he had transposed numbers.

Most owners WANT people to find their caches and will help with personal clues and such if asked.

Welcome. Caching is fun. If you have fun it is a success. If not, well.... DNF, FTF, F, don't much matter if u had fun.

And No, I did not enter a DNF yet......cause I "ain't through lookin'"!

DNF's are not the devil. Sometimes a DNF log is the funnest, and adds to the cache when it is finally found. Plus others can laugh at your travails when they walk right up to it! :anicute:

We approach every cache as if we aren't done until it is found, and we continue to log DNF's until we DF! I think it adds to the flavor of the particular cache. Just last week, we logged a find on a cache the we DNFed a couple of times......last year!

Hey, we weren't thru lookin! :):anicute:

We are also pretty new to the game, and have had to return to a few caches... Stubborn as I am, I like to try and find them without reading the clues, or recording them either! Usually, I'll go back a second time, and if we find it, then we say it was a return visit in our log... if we don't though, I will usually post a DNF, or email the cache owner. This is a great game, but I understand the frustration... I guess with practice comes patience...

For me, a "Finally Found" is sometimes more maddening than a DNF - especially if there were several attempts.

I went back at least three times over several months for my first nano (which was admittedly a devious hide besides being a nano) and when I finally did find it, I was almost peeved. All that effort for THIS?!? pretty much sums up my thoughts at the time.

Other devious hides that resulted in DNFs rated a tip of my hat when I finally found them. Clever hides, well-camouflaged or unique containers all.

On balance then, I'd rate DNFs as 50/50 prospects for the future.

Im not the most fastidious about posting DNFs, but I think they provide a good feedback to the caches owner as to when to look into their caches placement or coords.

That said, the only fun to be found is in the postings themselves; they tend to be funnier than the 'founds'. Wrought with all sorts of misgivings , miscalculations and misunderstandings. They're great. "warm walk on a sunny day, FOUND IT!" yeah yeah.

"Treked through .7 miles of jungle habitat, askinghow could this be above the 40th paralell?!, sliding on thin ice... and its NOT THERE?!? or there. Nor there either. Ice pellets punish you as you make your retreat. Cell phone rings" Honey, where are you?"... How to answer that?

Where's my GPS!? YIPES goto go back." Got the unit back at least.

thats what was left off a posted DNF of mine only 2 weeks ago.

Life is good!

E-mailing the cache owner to verify the coordinates is my first step.

Begging for a hint is the second.

Having done over 700 caches this past year with Koikeeper ..... I'm still surprised at how clever cachers can be at hiding objects. We've gotten a lot better at finding them also ..... but still have problems once in a while. I missed one (a nano) recently because I did not have my flashlight with me. Went back with flashlight and had it in a few minutes. :anibad: ImpalaBob