Geocache Event Idea

It's spring again (hard to believe, I know) which means I'll be having a Grand Day Out doing maintenance on as many of my caches that I know/believe/think there may be a problem with. That's maybe 30-40 which could use an inspection, at least. Would having other cachers, who'd not found them, along with me be a good idea? They'd lead me to the cache with their GPS after I'd parked in a suitable spot, and get 5-10 minutes to find it before I get bored of watching them struggle and retrieve (hopefully) the cache. Would this be 'fair'? On multis I'd have to leave them at the start, do a local cache/check another one before heading back to the final location to await/help/collect them.

What's in it for them? A long day out caching, lots of walking, and a guarantee of a find, even if the box and/or log has to be replaced, at every cache. Plus moving up the 'Most SP caches found' table, of course <_<

What's in it for me? Some petrol money, I'd hope, plus some good company to keep me entertained. The car seats five with GPS space and room for bags in the boot. And there'd be nothing to stop others following me in convoy until we get to the end, as well as picking up any other unfound caches along the way, so long as they don't slow my maintenance mission down too much.

I can see why some of the rules of caching might have to be 'bent' by the time demands of my quest which is why I'd like to hear folks opinions. Thanks. :(

I too name my caches to the site, contents, final location or container. Really for me it is what is appropriate for that particular cache.

Are you intending to make it an actual event? If so, the only other thing you would need to arrange is a meeting place at the end for the chat and swapping of TB's. Although completely different from the Scottish Geocachers Days Out, it does have the same concept.

Sorry to pour cold water on the idea Paul, but isn't that against the guidelines for an event cache?

..an event cache should not be set up for the sole purpose of drawing together cachers for an organized hunt of another cache or caches. Such group hunts are best organized using the forums or an email distribution list.

I think you are allowed to have an 'event cache'... ie a cache or caches set up for the event, so the event can encompass hunting for them, but not organise an event just to get a group of cachers together to go cache hunting.

Edited by Alibags

Sorry to pour cold water on the idea Paul, but isn't that against the guidelines for an event cache?

..an event cache should not be set up for the sole purpose of drawing together cachers for an organized hunt of another cache or caches. Such group hunts are best organized using the forums or an email distribution list.

I think you are allowed to have an 'event cache'... ie a cache or caches set up for the event, so the event can encompass hunting for them, but not organise an event just to get a group of cachers together to go cache hunting.

As HH has said, the original concept of the SGDOs was exactly that - to join together with other geocachers to visit the more remote and inaccessible caches, such as those on top of Munros, for which company is really a prereqisite. As long as there is a meeting afterwards in a local hostelry to chat about geocaching and swap TBs, there isn't a problem.

There would be a sit down in PizzaHut at the end of it, I dare say. :rolleyes:

But the event would have to start with the cache-hunt. My reading of the Geocaching Event guidelines are they're for meeting other cachers (check) and discussing geocaching (check) so I don't expect any issues with TPTB. It was more the fact I'd be helping more than I usually would which my question's about. By which I mean I'd locate the cache after 5-10 mins on site if I could. I can be relied on to comply with the GC.com rules for listing the event, of course.

Opinion:

Only problem is, that for people who have done most/all of the caches that need maintenance there would be very little point in attending. Other than subsidising your petrol costs of course B)

Surely the maintenance of caches should be done when a problem arises and not once a year as part of a 'Spring Clean' Event. Cough Cough... RR-First or Last... Cough :rolleyes:

:(

Opinion:

Only problem is, that for people who have done most/all of the caches that need maintenance there would be very little point in attending. Other than subsidising your petrol costs of course B)

Surely the maintenance of caches should be done when a problem arises and not once a year as part of a 'Spring Clean' Event. Cough Cough... RR-First or Last... Cough :rolleyes:

:(

I wouldn't be twisting anyone's arm to join me, petrol money or not. And locals who've done most of the caches aren't really the people I'm thinking of - Hence this bit from my original post: "Would having other cachers, who'd not found them, along with me be a good idea?" - I'd not exclude anyone from coming, but I know it wouldn't be a trip suited to everybody. Just like the walk up Ben Nevis Event I did last year.

I do regular cache maintenance when I can - I've had a mixture of nasty weather, too much work, not enough time and injured feet (thanks to walking many many miles in Barcelona last month) recently, which has stopped me doing as much as I'd like to. Now I have more free time and my feet have healed, it seems sensible to me to try to hit all those caches I know are 'a bit damp' (and that's basically what it is. A drying-out with a tissue, a bag or two and a check of the box is probably all they'll need. Maybe a fresh logbook, contents and box, at very most :tired: ) in one big go.

My point again is would I be helping others to cheat by showing them where the cache is after 10 minutes of them hunting if they can't find it?

Oh, and RR- First or Last will be close to the top of my hit list, as it's been suspended a while. And a while too long.

Edited by Simply Paul

My concern was due to a recent event that I had a hand in organising, where it was spelled out to us very clearly what the guidelines were. As we were told, the event is the meet, not the hunt for caches. Of course, if you were to lure cachers into the area with a promise of a nice evening meet, no reason why they should not choose to gather beforehand to do local caches.

Changing the subject slightly, I wonder what the minimum mileage would be to get between all your caches, Paul, as they are quite widely spread. I would reckon that it would take you more than the available hours of daylight to get round them all, let alone searching for them (obviously not including those ones in Scotland!.

There would be a sit down in PizzaHut at the end of it, I dare say. :(

But the event would have to start with the cache-hunt. My reading of the Geocaching Event guidelines are they're for meeting other cachers (check) and discussing geocaching (check) so I don't expect any issues with TPTB. It was more the fact I'd be helping more than I usually would which my question's about. By which I mean I'd locate the cache after 5-10 mins on site if I could. I can be relied on to comply with the GC.com rules for listing the event, of course.

Does PizzaHut do good chips Paul? :rolleyes:

So why were my Big and Bigger event caches on the Ridgeway approved, as they were basically 'we're meeting to do a load of caches'? Or has there been a change in 'guidelines'? Either way, I'm sure LactoEctomorph will steer me right :(

We won't be visiting all my caches, as that would take a couple of days I expect! Just the ones I know or believe would benefit from a visit. Much route planning would take place beforehand, using up-to-date information and, with my help (the point of this thread!) there would be no 'looking for a good place to park' or 'not finding the right footpath' or long drawn-out cache hunting! I think 9am-9pm and 30 caches is realistic, with a 1/2 break for lunch/drink in a pub on the way. Yes it'll be a busy day, but numbers are numbers...

Edit: P.S. PizzaHut do fine potato wedges... and nice Pizza, naturally :rolleyes:

P.P.S Hi Guesswork, welcome to the forums!

Edited by Simply Paul

Seems to me Paul that youre wanting people to subsidise your cache maintainance !.Also you state that a find on each cache is 'a guaranteed'.....this wasn't the case when most people,including myself spent our time,petrol/diesel and boot leather looking for them.Why should a select few who get 'manouvered' into paying towards your fuel costs get guaranteed finds ?,strikes me as rather unfair.I personally like the Ridgeway Run series BUT if you cant afford to spend the time or fuel money maintaining them yourself then why bother setting them ?.

So why were my Big and Bigger event caches on the Ridgeway approved, as they were basically 'we're meeting to do a load of caches'? Or has there been a change in 'guidelines'? Either way, I'm sure LactoEctomorph will steer me right :)

I do not know. They do appear to have be in breach of the guidelines too. Perhaps there has been a general tightening up of the rules recently, ie since you had your previous events but before they questioned ours? As you say, I am sure the chaps will steer you right if there is a problem.

Seems to me Paul that youre wanting people to subsidise your cache maintainance !.

Any contribution would be wholly voluntary. Or someone else can drive and I'll give them some money for petrol. Anyone following in another car can organise how they split the costs amongst themselves too.

Also you state that a find on each cache is 'a guaranteed'

Yes, because I'll be there and the cache is missing, I'll replace it. If it's hard to find, I know where I hid it. This isn't rocket science...

.....this wasn't the case when most people,including myself spent our time,petrol/diesel and boot leather looking for them.

That's because I wasn't there, probably.

Why should a select few who get 'manouvered' into paying towards your fuel costs get guaranteed finds ?

Manouvered? What am I, some sort of cacher-seducer? Anyone would be free to come, in their own vehicle... I feel your point is moot. (No pun intended)

,strikes me as rather unfair.

So many things in this life are. But this isn't one of them. What *might* be unfair is me helping them find it after 10 minutes if they can't. That's what this thread is about. What do you think about that?

I personally like the Ridgeway Run series BUT if you cant afford to spend the time or fuel money maintaining them yourself then why bother setting them ?.

I'm personally glad you enjoyed doing them. I can afford to spend my time and money on looking after them but am *possibly* making the offer for folks to join me while I do it.

Sigh.

I'll be in touch, StevieP and DRC, if/when I go ahead with it. DRC, I'll do a full list closer to the time, but we'd start and finish in Aylesbury, and do a big circle around town.

P.S. DRC's at school so there's no question of him making a petrol contribution, before anyone suggests I'm fleecing a kid... grumble!

Edited by Simply Paul

P.S. DRC's at school so there's no question of him making a petrol contribution, before anyone suggests I'm fleecing a kid... grumble!

DRC's at school, therefore doesn't have a mortgage to pay, food to buy, insurance to worry about blah blah blah - I reckon he should pay for everyone else! :rolleyes: Oh, and hire a nice convertible while you're at it, possibly stopping off for lunch at Le Manoir....

j/k..... :unsure:

A simple thank you Paul, I look forward to hearing from you, I'll pick you & DRC up at the start & you can drive us round! or I'll drive! what ever!

I'll be in touch, StevieP and DRC, if/when I go ahead with it. DRC, I'll do a full list closer to the time, but we'd start and finish in Aylesbury, and do a big circle around town.

Definately count me in if it goes ahead! Sounds a top idea to me :o

And of course we're all so good SP won't need to help locate the caches right peeps (maybe) :(:(

Let me know when and where and i'll be there in the sonicsupercar lol. I've got room for two smallish bodies in my car if that helps x