All In A Name

I meant to start this topic earlier in the week but unusually for me - forgot!!!

I have looked at my own caches and thought to myself:

"What makes someone call their cache the name they call it?"

8.gif4.gif5.gif6.gif13.gifearthcache.gif12.gif11.gif2.gif3.gif

I named 12 of my caches as hints to the final location of the cache and 8 as appropriate names for the content of the cache "story" / content or what the cache is to portray to the finder.

So, my question to you is, what influences you the most, when naming your caches?

EXAMPLES;

Hint to cache location;

Description of site of interest in connection with the cache;

Relates to the Content of the cache page;

Clue to final hide area;

Themed caches;

and what else can you think of?

I think this should be pretty enlightening and possibly interesting...

Oss!

I came up with my cache names through the cache location and the inspiration. Reservoir Art was thought up because the cache is in a drained reservoir and asks the finder to leave a little peice of artwork in the log, while ITSGOECACHE was named after the puzzle that inspired it.

Colin

Our first cache was named in memory of Joans (Eeyores) dad and placed close to where he passed by on his narrow boat. The initials of the cache are also the initals of the boating club of which he was a member.

We also named caches after our dogs and placed them along their favourite walks.

Unfortunately our Mr Bean can't do his favourite walk at the moment as he suffered a spinal injury on Thursday and has to be confined to a cage for at least 4 weeks in the hope that his injury will heal.

Edited by Cave Troll and Eeyore

My caches, in order they were last found, with the reason in bold.

THE WICKEN MAN (Bucks/Northants border) Found: 3/11/2006 Based in the village of Wicken, and The Wicker Man film

Silverstone Circuit No.1 - STOWE CORNER Found: 3/11/2006 At Silverstone circuit's Stowe Corner

Silverstone Circuit No.2 - BECKETTS Found: 3/11/2006 At Silverstone circuit's Becketts Corner (usually shortened to Becketts

Silverstone Circuit No.3 - COPSE Found: 3/11/2006 At Silverstone circuit's Copse Corner. In a copse.

Canalmania 1 - BORDER RAID (Bucks/Herts border) Found: 3/10/2006 A cache series on the canal, close to the Bucks, Herts border.

RIDGEWAY RUN - Beyond Brush Hill Found: 3/9/2006 A run of caches along the Ridgeway long distance path, and beyond Brush Hill (from easy parking)

RIDGEWAY RUN - Verdant Valley or Horrible Hill Found: 3/9/2006 A run of caches along the Ridgeway long distance path, and above a nice valley, or after a horrible climb

HM4 - A gate to nowhere (Herts) Found: 3/8/2006 Named by The Hornet, adopted by me

HALF HIDDEN (Bucks) Found: 3/6/2006 A mystery cache, featuring a half-hidden phone box, but there is more to it than that

ARTWALK/JOG/RUN (Bucks) Found: 3/5/2006 A cache for two people to race each other around MK artworks. Can be done at a walk, jog or run

THE WINSLOW BOY (Bucks) Found: 3/5/2006 Film/play title, and a cache in Winslow, where I spent some time as a boy.

MILITARY INTELLIGENCE (Bucks) Found: 3/5/2006 An Oxymoron, based in disused military ruins

SUBTERRANEAN SUB-AQUA (Isle of Dogs/Greenwich) Found: 3/5/2006 Underground AND underwater

RIDGEWAY RUN - Hale and Hearty Found: 3/5/2006 A run of caches along the Ridgeway long distance path, and in Hale Wood

Puerile Photo-cache No.1 - RUDE LADY (Bucks) Found: 3/5/2006 A rude/childish cache requiring a photo to be taken. Of a Rude Lady, in this case.

RIDGEWAY RUN - Beggars Belief Found: 3/5/2006 A run of caches along the Ridgeway long distance path, and close to Beggars Lane

RIDGEWAY RUN - Letters Found: 3/5/2006 A run of caches along the Ridgeway long distance path, and based on letters to be collected (from a tree and a letter box)

Canalmania 5 - GHOST TRAIN (Bucks) Found: 3/4/2006 A cache series on the canal, close to a disused railway line.

Canalmania 4 - SWAN LAKE (Bucks) Found: 3/4/2006 A cache series on the canal, by a lake. With Swans.

Canalmania 3 - ROTHSCHILD BRIDGE (Bucks) Found: 3/4/2006 A cache series on the canal, close to Rothschild Bridge.

RIDGEWAY RUN - The Alpine Stage Found: 3/4/2006 A run of caches along the Ridgeway long distance path, and a steep, U-bend, alpine-road-like bit of it

Puerile Photo-cache No.5 - BOX IN THE BUSH (Oxon) Found: 3/4/2006 More childish/photo giggles, and a clue about the final box's location

IN MEMORY OF A LADY (Oxon) Found: 3/4/2006 Words from a monument seen along the way

RIDGEWAY RUN - M for T Found: 3/4/2006 A run of caches along the Ridgeway long distance path, and close to the M40

Chess themed Geocache No.2 - WHITE BISHOP (Bucks) Found: 3/3/2006 The Chess Theme is a bit stretched on some caches, but this one is outside Bishopstone, and was under white rocks.

TAKING LIBERTY'S (Bucks) Found: 3/2/2006 Based near the home of the Liberty family, in The Lee

ART OF THE PHOENIX TRAIL (Bucks/Oxon border) Found: 3/1/2006 You'll see Art, on the Phoenix Trail

WOTTON UNDER WOOD (Bucks) Found: 3/1/2006 Based in the hamlet of Wotton Underwood - with a hide-location clue

RIDGEWAY RUN - What 17 is to 289 Found: 2/27/2006 A run of caches along the Ridgeway long distance path, and a maths clue to the final location

MORONIC ATOMIC MINI-MICRO No. 2 Found: 2/26/2006 A silly story about Oxford history, and a tiny tiny cache

T(H)AME (S)TROLL (Oxon) Found: 2/26/2006 A cache near Thame, requiring a good walk. There may be another clue in there too

MORONIC ATOMIC MINI-MICRO No. 3 Found: 2/26/2006 Tiny cache, silly story

Simply Paul's MIGHTY MAZE Found: 2/26/2006 My cache, near a maze, and a mighty puzzle to get you to the right area

ROMING IN THE WOOD (Bucks) Found: 2/26/2006 A cache in Romer Wood

RIDGEWAY RUN - Crossword Clue: Flummox (5 letters) Found: 2/25/2006 A run of caches along the Ridgeway long distance path, and a 'clue is in the name' cache

RIDGEWAY RUN - Danger, High Voltage! Found: 2/25/2006 A run of caches along the Ridgeway long distance path, and by a sign with that on it

CANAL KNOWLEDGE (Bucks) Found: 2/25/2006 Cache close to a canal, which has a caching knowledge quiz to find it

RIDGEWAY RUN - Nowers Place Found: 2/25/2006 A run of caches along the Ridgeway long distance path, and name made from two other names local to the area

RIDGEWAY RUN - Pitstone Hill Found: 2/25/2006 A run of caches along the Ridgeway long distance path, and... you CAN guess this one!

CHEQUERED HISTORY (Bucks) Found: 2/25/2006 Some history - The name makes even more sense at the final location.

BUCKINGHAM BUMBLE Found: 2/24/2006 A bit of a 'bumble' about the town of Buckingham

TUNNEL OF LOVE (Herts) Found: 2/20/2006 A tunnel, where I.. err.. Act of... thingy.

WHO'S AFRAID OF THE BIG BAD WOLFE? (Bucks) Found: 2/19/2006 The clue is in the name.

RIDGEWAY RUN - Trackside Found: 2/19/2006 A run of caches along the Ridgeway long distance path, and next to an old railway line

WHAT'S THAT SMELL? (Herts) Found: 2/19/2006 The area has a name that makes sense of this cache's name

RIDGEWAY RUN - Span Span Span Span... Found: 2/19/2006 A run of caches along the Ridgeway long distance path, and a small Mothy Python/Bridge gag

THE DESCENT Found: 2/18/2006 From the title of a film shot at the location.

The Wicker Man - Here lieth Beech Buchanan Found: 2/18/2006 At a location used for a film. The other bit is a line of dialogue spoken at the location

HAMPDEN'S MONUMENT (Oxon) Found: 2/17/2006 Close to...

MOUTH OF HELL (Oxon) Found: 2/17/2006 A hellish cache, and a big mouth, of sorts.

Chess themed Geocache No.8 - BLACK QUEEN (Bucks) Found: 2/17/2006 Featuring a windmill that looks like Queen Victoria

STEAMING MIRES (Oxford) Found: 2/15/2006 A play on words from Dreaming Spires for this muddy cache near Oxford

Puerile Photo-cache No.2 - SPLASHING OUT (Bucks) Found: 2/13/2006 You're looking for Spurt Street. Take a picture of the sign as you giggle.

WENDOVER WAMBLE! (Bucks) Found: 2/12/2006 A Jonathan Ross style walk around Wendover

RIDGEWAY RUN - I did it Byway! Found: 2/12/2006 A run of caches along the Ridgeway long distance path, and on a byway. With a Ol' Blue Eyes slant.

THE END OF THE LINE (Bucks) Found: 2/11/2006 At the end of a line. Geographically and historically.

RIDGEWAY RUN - Watch for the Signs Found: 2/10/2006 A run of caches along the Ridgeway long distance path, and you're looking for signs

RIDGEWAY RUN - Rabbit Chicken Found: 2/5/2006 A run of caches along the Ridgeway long distance path, and close to where I played bicycle chicken with rabbits

RIDGEWAY RUN - Between the Lines Found: 2/5/2006 A run of caches along the Ridgeway long distance path, and between railway lines

RIDGEWAY RUN - The Iron Giant Found: 2/5/2006 A run of caches along the Ridgeway long distance path, and a BIG clue as to where it is

RIDGEWAY RUN - Lodged in Memory Found: 2/5/2006 A run of caches along the Ridgeway long distance path, and on Lodge Hill. A climb makes it memorable (especially if you're walking all the RR caches

RIDGEWAY RUN - Cunning, Or Similar. Found: 2/5/2006 A run of caches along the Ridgeway long distance path, and what I expect to be called when people find it

RIDGEWAY RUN - Steps Must Be Taken! Found: 2/5/2006 A run of caches along the Ridgeway long distance path, and you must takes (and count) steps

THE OTHER MUSWELL HILL (Bucks/Oxon border) Found: 2/5/2006 There's two Muswell Hills in the UK and my cache is on this one.

CACHE IN THE ATTIC (Oxon) Found: 2/4/2006 The second highest point in Oxfordshire - may be Oxfordshire's highest attic

The Wicker Man - A missing child is always trouble Found: 2/4/2006 A cache where The Wicker Man was filmed, and a line spoken in the film at that location

Puerile Photo-cache No.3 - GETTING WOOD (Bucks) Found: 2/1/2006 In a wood, but first you have to photograph an erection

THE WORLD'S TALLEST BUILDING... (Bucks) Found: 1/29/2006 You'll see the world's tallest building (of its type) along the way

LIVE BACKWARDS (Herts) Found: 1/28/2006 Is EVIL

RIDGEWAY RUN - Getting from A to B Found: 1/28/2006 A run of caches along the Ridgeway long distance path, and close to a point-to-point horse race course

THE ANGEL AND MR. O (Bucks) Found: 1/25/2006 You'll meet an Angel, and if you're lucky, Mr O

THE MEANING OF LIFE Found: 1/25/2006 At a location used in Monty Python's The Meaning of Life. Also so when someone says what do you think the meaning of life is, you can say you've found it

ROVER (Bucks) Found: 1/25/2006 A cache which Roves

DO YOU FEEL LUCKY? (Bucks) Found: 1/25/2006 Well, do ya? A cache which requires you to be lucky, or at least patient

Puerile Photo-cache No.4 - BUMP & GRIND (Oxon) Found: 1/22/2006 Another giggle, wink, wink, snap, snap cache, with bumps (in the road) and grinding (there's a windmill close by)

RIDGEWAY RUN - Mike Has It Found: 1/21/2006 A run of caches along the Ridgeway long distance path, and... well, Mike does have it!

RIDGEWAY RUN - First Past The Post Found: 1/21/2006 A run of caches along the Ridgeway long distance path, and close to Chequres. FPTP is a political term for our election system, the opposite of proportional representation

MONUMENTAL! (Bucks) Found: 1/21/2006 Based on a monument with monumental views

RIDGEWAY RUN - The Deadwood Stage Found: 1/21/2006 A run of caches along the Ridgeway long distance path, and the name is a clue to cover. It's also one stage of the RR caches, among many

UNDER LOCK... (Bucks) Found: 1/21/2006 Cache needs numbers from a trig point, which is locked away from visitors, and a key, my ...AND KEY TB

IT'S NOT AN ANORAK, IT'S A TRAVEL BUG RACE TARGET! Found: 1/15/2006 Says exactly what it is on the tin - a target for the INAAIATBR race

The Wicker Man - Our more dreadful sacrifice Found: 1/14/2006 At one of The Wicker Man filming locations in Scotland, with a line of dialogue from the film, spoken at that location

RIDGEWAY RUN - Devilishly Difficult? Doubtful! Found: 1/14/2006 A run of caches along the Ridgeway long distance path, and not *really* so hard to find

RIDGEWAY RUN - Country Style Found: 1/14/2006 A run of caches along the Ridgeway long distance path, and close to a stile, in the country

Chess themed Geocache No.9 - WHITE QUEEN (Bucks) Found: 1/11/2006 Based where Queen Liz I spent some time. Was a queen, had a lead-white face

Chess themed Geocache No.1 - BLACK ROOK (Bucks) Found: 1/8/2006 Big dark, castle-like hill

RIDGEWAY RUN - X Marks the Spot Found: 1/7/2006 A run of caches along the Ridgeway long distance path, and x does mark the spot - could use a re-paint

RIDGEWAY RUN - Tring Thing Found: 1/7/2006 A run of caches along the Ridgeway long distance path, and a thing near Tring

Chess themed Geocache No.4 - WHITE ROOK (Bucks) Found: 1/6/2006 White castles along the way?

Chess themed Geocache No.3 - BLACK KNIGHT (Bucks) Found: 1/6/2006 Black (k)night cache near an observatory

RIDGEWAY RUN - From Pillar to Post Found: 1/2/2006 A run of caches along the Ridgeway long distance path, and a pillar will send you to...

Pulpit Sermon (Bucks) Found: 1/2/2006 Was The Hornet's

RIDGEWAY RUN - Field in the Forest Found: 12/31/2005 A run of caches along the Ridgeway long distance path, and at a Field Maple in a forest (well, wood)

Chess themed Geocache No.6 - BLACK BISHOP (Bucks) Found: 12/31/2005 Lots of Black things in Oving. The Bishop's not one of them

Chess themed Geocache No.5 - WHITE KNIGHT (Bucks) Found: 12/31/2005 In Whitchurch (from White Church) featuring someone who was probably a knight

RIDGEWAY RUN - Over Wendover Found: 12/28/2005 A run of caches along the Ridgeway long distance path, and it's over Wendover. Nice ring to it.

WELL TRAINED (Beds) Found: 12/26/2005 A cache close to lots of trains

Chess themed Geocache No.7 - WHITE KING (Bucks) Found: 12/21/2005 A white monument to a King, of sorts

CATHEDRAL IN THE FIELDS (Bucks) Found: 12/17/2005 The local name for the giant church in a tint hamlet you'll visit

Canalmania 2 - LONELY CHURCH (Bucks) Found: 12/6/2005 A cache series on the canal, near a lonely church! It's not rocket science... :rolleyes:

THE CACHE OF WHICH WE DO NOT SPEAK (Herts) Found: 12/3/2005 I don't speak about this cache

UNDERWATER CACHE (Oxon) Found: 11/18/2005 Was a cache, underwater (of a sort) - a clue in the name sort of cache.

CLAYDON CONUNDRUM (Bucks) Found: 11/18/2005 Tricky cache between Claydon House and Steeple Claydon

FANTASTIC MR. DAHL (Bucks) Found: 11/16/2005 A cache about Roald Dahl, who wrote Fantastic Mr Fox. And he was fantastic.

Chess themed Geocache No.10 - BLACK KING (Bucks) Found: 11/13/2005 The Bucks County Council Building IS the Black King, and this cache is based in Aylesbury too.

The road to Applecross Found: 10/29/2005 Next to the dramatic Road To Applecross

RIDGEWAY RUN - Social Climber Found: 10/22/2005 A run of caches along the Ridgeway long distance path, and this one needs a climb

RIDGEWAY RUN - First or Last Found: 10/22/2005 A run of caches along the Ridgeway long distance path, and at the start or end of the Ridgeway

RIDGEWAY RUN - The Bigger Event Found: 9/11/2005 A run of caches along the Ridgeway long distance path, and was an event there, bigger than the last event there

Punters' Prize: Fiddling the Brooks Found: 8/28/2005 Play on words from Brooks University in Oxford...

Punters' Cache 2: River Fork Found: 8/27/2005 Reached by punt (or boat) only, close to the fork of a river

GIANTS OF BEKONSCOT (Bucks) Found: 8/2/2005 Based in a model village, which makes you feel giant

RIDGEWAY RUN - The Big Event Found: 7/26/2005 A run of caches along the Ridgeway long distance path, and an event on it. Which was big. Ish. And wet. No ish.

NETHER REGIONS (Bucks) Found: 5/30/2005 Was based in Nether Whinchendon. I liked it because folks could say 'I've done Simply Paul's Nether Regions. Chortle

MISSING CACHER (Bucks) Found: 5/29/2005 Was about a cacher, who went missing

"I AM NOT A NUMBER, I AM A FREE MAN!" (Bucks) Found: 5/1/2005 A cache based on The Prisoner 60's TV series, and that's his most famous line

MORONIC ATOMIC MINI-MICRO No. 1 Found: 3/25/2005 A silly story and a tiny, tiny cache.

ALL ROUND TO MY PLACE (Bucks) Found: 2/17/2005 Was an event in my lounge, to watch Countryfile

VISIT THE BIG HOUSE (Bucks) Found: 12/29/2004 A cache which 'forced' you to visit 'the big house' - US slang for jail (or gaol here)

Chess themed Geocache No.10 - BLACK KING (Bucks) Found: 8/30/2004 The original Black King event, in the shadow of a big tower block which I've always seen as The Black King

Good question Lester :huh:

I don’t consciously use a formula to name the caches, but reflecting on it, the following is generally true.

If it is a general cache I name if after the cache after the location.

If the cache is a special challenge the name relates to what is special.

If the name is ambiguous and may be used elsewhere I add/refine the location in brackets after the name.

Edited by alistair_uk

I came up with my cache names through the cache location and the inspiration. Reservoir Art was thought up because the cache is in a drained reservoir and asks the finder to leave a little peice of artwork in the log, while ITSGOECACHE was named after the puzzle that inspired it.

Colin

Our first cache was named in memory of Joans (Eeyores) dad and placed close to where he passed by on his narrow boat. The initials of the cache are also the initals of the boating club of which he was a member.

We also named caches after our dogs and placed them along their favourite walks.

Unfortunately our Mr Bean can't do his favourite walk at the moment as he suffered a spinal injury on Thursday and has to be confined to a cage for at least 4 weeks in the hope that his injury will heal.

Only named one cache - an ironic quote from Horace, made famous by Wilfred Owen, which relates to the theme of the cache.

This is exactly what I wanted.

Oss!

... and may I say: What an excellent answer!!! Cheers Buddy.

Oss!

My caches, in order they were last found, with the reason in bold.

THE WICKEN MAN (Bucks/Northants border) Found: 3/11/2006 Based in the village of Wicken, and The Wicker Man film

Silverstone Circuit No.1 - STOWE CORNER Found: 3/11/2006 At Silverstone circuit's Stowe Corner

Silverstone Circuit No.2 - BECKETTS Found: 3/11/2006 At Silverstone circuit's Becketts Corner (usually shortened to Becketts

Silverstone Circuit No.3 - COPSE Found: 3/11/2006 At Silverstone circuit's Copse Corner. In a copse.

Canalmania 1 - BORDER RAID (Bucks/Herts border) Found: 3/10/2006 A cache series on the canal, close to the Bucks, Herts border.

RIDGEWAY RUN - Beyond Brush Hill Found: 3/9/2006 A run of caches along the Ridgeway long distance path, and beyond Brush Hill (from easy parking)

RIDGEWAY RUN - Verdant Valley or Horrible Hill Found: 3/9/2006 A run of caches along the Ridgeway long distance path, and above a nice valley, or after a horrible climb

HM4 - A gate to nowhere (Herts) Found: 3/8/2006 Named by The Hornet, adopted by me

HALF HIDDEN (Bucks) Found: 3/6/2006 A mystery cache, featuring a half-hidden phone box, but there is more to it than that

ARTWALK/JOG/RUN (Bucks) Found: 3/5/2006 A cache for two people to race each other around MK artworks. Can be done at a walk, jog or run

THE WINSLOW BOY (Bucks) Found: 3/5/2006 Film/play title, and a cache in Winslow, where I spent some time as a boy.

MILITARY INTELLIGENCE (Bucks) Found: 3/5/2006 An Oxymoron, based in disused military ruins

SUBTERRANEAN SUB-AQUA (Isle of Dogs/Greenwich) Found: 3/5/2006 Underground AND underwater

RIDGEWAY RUN - Hale and Hearty Found: 3/5/2006 A run of caches along the Ridgeway long distance path, and in Hale Wood

Puerile Photo-cache No.1 - RUDE LADY (Bucks) Found: 3/5/2006 A rude/childish cache requiring a photo to be taken. Of a Rude Lady, in this case.

RIDGEWAY RUN - Beggars Belief Found: 3/5/2006 A run of caches along the Ridgeway long distance path, and close to Beggars Lane

RIDGEWAY RUN - Letters Found: 3/5/2006 A run of caches along the Ridgeway long distance path, and based on letters to be collected (from a tree and a letter box)

Canalmania 5 - GHOST TRAIN (Bucks) Found: 3/4/2006 A cache series on the canal, close to a disused railway line.

Canalmania 4 - SWAN LAKE (Bucks) Found: 3/4/2006 A cache series on the canal, by a lake. With Swans.

Canalmania 3 - ROTHSCHILD BRIDGE (Bucks) Found: 3/4/2006 A cache series on the canal, close to Rothschild Bridge.

RIDGEWAY RUN - The Alpine Stage Found: 3/4/2006 A run of caches along the Ridgeway long distance path, and a steep, U-bend, alpine-road-like bit of it

Puerile Photo-cache No.5 - BOX IN THE BUSH (Oxon) Found: 3/4/2006 More childish/photo giggles, and a clue about the final box's location

IN MEMORY OF A LADY (Oxon) Found: 3/4/2006 Words from a monument seen along the way

RIDGEWAY RUN - M for T Found: 3/4/2006 A run of caches along the Ridgeway long distance path, and close to the M40

Chess themed Geocache No.2 - WHITE BISHOP (Bucks) Found: 3/3/2006 The Chess Theme is a bit stretched on some caches, but this one is outside Bishopstone, and was under white rocks.

TAKING LIBERTY'S (Bucks) Found: 3/2/2006 Based near the home of the Liberty family, in The Lee

ART OF THE PHOENIX TRAIL (Bucks/Oxon border) Found: 3/1/2006 You'll see Art, on the Phoenix Trail

WOTTON UNDER WOOD (Bucks) Found: 3/1/2006 Based in the hamlet of Wotton Underwood - with a hide-location clue

RIDGEWAY RUN - What 17 is to 289 Found: 2/27/2006 A run of caches along the Ridgeway long distance path, and a maths clue to the final location

MORONIC ATOMIC MINI-MICRO No. 2 Found: 2/26/2006 A silly story about Oxford history, and a tiny tiny cache

T(H)AME (S)TROLL (Oxon) Found: 2/26/2006 A cache near Thame, requiring a good walk. There may be another clue in there too

MORONIC ATOMIC MINI-MICRO No. 3 Found: 2/26/2006 Tiny cache, silly story

Simply Paul's MIGHTY MAZE Found: 2/26/2006 My cache, near a maze, and a mighty puzzle to get you to the right area

ROMING IN THE WOOD (Bucks) Found: 2/26/2006 A cache in Romer Wood

RIDGEWAY RUN - Crossword Clue: Flummox (5 letters) Found: 2/25/2006 A run of caches along the Ridgeway long distance path, and a 'clue is in the name' cache

RIDGEWAY RUN - Danger, High Voltage! Found: 2/25/2006 A run of caches along the Ridgeway long distance path, and by a sign with that on it

CANAL KNOWLEDGE (Bucks) Found: 2/25/2006 Cache close to a canal, which has a caching knowledge quiz to find it

RIDGEWAY RUN - Nowers Place Found: 2/25/2006 A run of caches along the Ridgeway long distance path, and name made from two other names local to the area

RIDGEWAY RUN - Pitstone Hill Found: 2/25/2006 A run of caches along the Ridgeway long distance path, and... you CAN guess this one!

CHEQUERED HISTORY (Bucks) Found: 2/25/2006 Some history - The name makes even more sense at the final location.

BUCKINGHAM BUMBLE Found: 2/24/2006 A bit of a 'bumble' about the town of Buckingham

TUNNEL OF LOVE (Herts) Found: 2/20/2006 A tunnel, where I.. err.. Act of... thingy.

WHO'S AFRAID OF THE BIG BAD WOLFE? (Bucks) Found: 2/19/2006 The clue is in the name.

RIDGEWAY RUN - Trackside Found: 2/19/2006 A run of caches along the Ridgeway long distance path, and next to an old railway line

WHAT'S THAT SMELL? (Herts) Found: 2/19/2006 The area has a name that makes sense of this cache's name

RIDGEWAY RUN - Span Span Span Span... Found: 2/19/2006 A run of caches along the Ridgeway long distance path, and a small Mothy Python/Bridge gag

THE DESCENT Found: 2/18/2006 From the title of a film shot at the location.

The Wicker Man - Here lieth Beech Buchanan Found: 2/18/2006 At a location used for a film. The other bit is a line of dialogue spoken at the location

HAMPDEN'S MONUMENT (Oxon) Found: 2/17/2006 Close to...

MOUTH OF HELL (Oxon) Found: 2/17/2006 A hellish cache, and a big mouth, of sorts.

Chess themed Geocache No.8 - BLACK QUEEN (Bucks) Found: 2/17/2006 Featuring a windmill that looks like Queen Victoria

STEAMING MIRES (Oxford) Found: 2/15/2006 A play on words from Dreaming Spires for this muddy cache near Oxford

Puerile Photo-cache No.2 - SPLASHING OUT (Bucks) Found: 2/13/2006 You're looking for Spurt Street. Take a picture of the sign as you giggle.

WENDOVER WAMBLE! (Bucks) Found: 2/12/2006 A Jonathan Ross style walk around Wendover

RIDGEWAY RUN - I did it Byway! Found: 2/12/2006 A run of caches along the Ridgeway long distance path, and on a byway. With a Ol' Blue Eyes slant.

THE END OF THE LINE (Bucks) Found: 2/11/2006 At the end of a line. Geographically and historically.

RIDGEWAY RUN - Watch for the Signs Found: 2/10/2006 A run of caches along the Ridgeway long distance path, and you're looking for signs

RIDGEWAY RUN - Rabbit Chicken Found: 2/5/2006 A run of caches along the Ridgeway long distance path, and close to where I played bicycle chicken with rabbits

RIDGEWAY RUN - Between the Lines Found: 2/5/2006 A run of caches along the Ridgeway long distance path, and between railway lines

RIDGEWAY RUN - The Iron Giant Found: 2/5/2006 A run of caches along the Ridgeway long distance path, and a BIG clue as to where it is

RIDGEWAY RUN - Lodged in Memory Found: 2/5/2006 A run of caches along the Ridgeway long distance path, and on Lodge Hill. A climb makes it memorable (especially if you're walking all the RR caches

RIDGEWAY RUN - Cunning, Or Similar. Found: 2/5/2006 A run of caches along the Ridgeway long distance path, and what I expect to be called when people find it

RIDGEWAY RUN - Steps Must Be Taken! Found: 2/5/2006 A run of caches along the Ridgeway long distance path, and you must takes (and count) steps

THE OTHER MUSWELL HILL (Bucks/Oxon border) Found: 2/5/2006 There's two Muswell Hills in the UK and my cache is on this one.

CACHE IN THE ATTIC (Oxon) Found: 2/4/2006 The second highest point in Oxfordshire - may be Oxfordshire's highest attic

The Wicker Man - A missing child is always trouble Found: 2/4/2006 A cache where The Wicker Man was filmed, and a line spoken in the film at that location

Puerile Photo-cache No.3 - GETTING WOOD (Bucks) Found: 2/1/2006 In a wood, but first you have to photograph an erection

THE WORLD'S TALLEST BUILDING... (Bucks) Found: 1/29/2006 You'll see the world's tallest building (of its type) along the way

LIVE BACKWARDS (Herts) Found: 1/28/2006 Is EVIL

RIDGEWAY RUN - Getting from A to B Found: 1/28/2006 A run of caches along the Ridgeway long distance path, and close to a point-to-point horse race course

THE ANGEL AND MR. O (Bucks) Found: 1/25/2006 You'll meet an Angel, and if you're lucky, Mr O

THE MEANING OF LIFE Found: 1/25/2006 At a location used in Monty Python's The Meaning of Life. Also so when someone says what do you think the meaning of life is, you can say you've found it

ROVER (Bucks) Found: 1/25/2006 A cache which Roves

DO YOU FEEL LUCKY? (Bucks) Found: 1/25/2006 Well, do ya? A cache which requires you to be lucky, or at least patient

Puerile Photo-cache No.4 - BUMP & GRIND (Oxon) Found: 1/22/2006 Another giggle, wink, wink, snap, snap cache, with bumps (in the road) and grinding (there's a windmill close by)

RIDGEWAY RUN - Mike Has It Found: 1/21/2006 A run of caches along the Ridgeway long distance path, and... well, Mike does have it!

RIDGEWAY RUN - First Past The Post Found: 1/21/2006 A run of caches along the Ridgeway long distance path, and close to Chequres. FPTP is a political term for our election system, the opposite of proportional representation

MONUMENTAL! (Bucks) Found: 1/21/2006 Based on a monument with monumental views

RIDGEWAY RUN - The Deadwood Stage Found: 1/21/2006 A run of caches along the Ridgeway long distance path, and the name is a clue to cover. It's also one stage of the RR caches, among many

UNDER LOCK... (Bucks) Found: 1/21/2006 Cache needs numbers from a trig point, which is locked away from visitors, and a key, my ...AND KEY TB

IT'S NOT AN ANORAK, IT'S A TRAVEL BUG RACE TARGET! Found: 1/15/2006 Says exactly what it is on the tin - a target for the INAAIATBR race

The Wicker Man - Our more dreadful sacrifice Found: 1/14/2006 At one of The Wicker Man filming locations in Scotland, with a line of dialogue from the film, spoken at that location

RIDGEWAY RUN - Devilishly Difficult? Doubtful! Found: 1/14/2006 A run of caches along the Ridgeway long distance path, and not *really* so hard to find

RIDGEWAY RUN - Country Style Found: 1/14/2006 A run of caches along the Ridgeway long distance path, and close to a stile, in the country

Chess themed Geocache No.9 - WHITE QUEEN (Bucks) Found: 1/11/2006 Based where Queen Liz I spent some time. Was a queen, had a lead-white face

Chess themed Geocache No.1 - BLACK ROOK (Bucks) Found: 1/8/2006 Big dark, castle-like hill

RIDGEWAY RUN - X Marks the Spot Found: 1/7/2006 A run of caches along the Ridgeway long distance path, and x does mark the spot - could use a re-paint

RIDGEWAY RUN - Tring Thing Found: 1/7/2006 A run of caches along the Ridgeway long distance path, and a thing near Tring

Chess themed Geocache No.4 - WHITE ROOK (Bucks) Found: 1/6/2006 White castles along the way?

Chess themed Geocache No.3 - BLACK KNIGHT (Bucks) Found: 1/6/2006 Black (k)night cache near an observatory

RIDGEWAY RUN - From Pillar to Post Found: 1/2/2006 A run of caches along the Ridgeway long distance path, and a pillar will send you to...

Pulpit Sermon (Bucks) Found: 1/2/2006 Was The Hornet's

RIDGEWAY RUN - Field in the Forest Found: 12/31/2005 A run of caches along the Ridgeway long distance path, and at a Field Maple in a forest (well, wood)

Chess themed Geocache No.6 - BLACK BISHOP (Bucks) Found: 12/31/2005 Lots of Black things in Oving. The Bishop's not one of them

Chess themed Geocache No.5 - WHITE KNIGHT (Bucks) Found: 12/31/2005 In Whitchurch (from White Church) featuring someone who was probably a knight

RIDGEWAY RUN - Over Wendover Found: 12/28/2005 A run of caches along the Ridgeway long distance path, and it's over Wendover. Nice ring to it.

WELL TRAINED (Beds) Found: 12/26/2005 A cache close to lots of trains

Chess themed Geocache No.7 - WHITE KING (Bucks) Found: 12/21/2005 A white monument to a King, of sorts

CATHEDRAL IN THE FIELDS (Bucks) Found: 12/17/2005 The local name for the giant church in a tint hamlet you'll visit

Canalmania 2 - LONELY CHURCH (Bucks) Found: 12/6/2005 A cache series on the canal, near a lonely church! It's not rocket science... :rolleyes:

THE CACHE OF WHICH WE DO NOT SPEAK (Herts) Found: 12/3/2005 I don't speak about this cache

UNDERWATER CACHE (Oxon) Found: 11/18/2005 Was a cache, underwater (of a sort) - a clue in the name sort of cache.

CLAYDON CONUNDRUM (Bucks) Found: 11/18/2005 Tricky cache between Claydon House and Steeple Claydon

FANTASTIC MR. DAHL (Bucks) Found: 11/16/2005 A cache about Roald Dahl, who wrote Fantastic Mr Fox. And he was fantastic.

Chess themed Geocache No.10 - BLACK KING (Bucks) Found: 11/13/2005 The Bucks County Council Building IS the Black King, and this cache is based in Aylesbury too.

The road to Applecross Found: 10/29/2005 Next to the dramatic Road To Applecross

RIDGEWAY RUN - Social Climber Found: 10/22/2005 A run of caches along the Ridgeway long distance path, and this one needs a climb

RIDGEWAY RUN - First or Last Found: 10/22/2005 A run of caches along the Ridgeway long distance path, and at the start or end of the Ridgeway

RIDGEWAY RUN - The Bigger Event Found: 9/11/2005 A run of caches along the Ridgeway long distance path, and was an event there, bigger than the last event there

Punters' Prize: Fiddling the Brooks Found: 8/28/2005 Play on words from Brooks University in Oxford...

Punters' Cache 2: River Fork Found: 8/27/2005 Reached by punt (or boat) only, close to the fork of a river

GIANTS OF BEKONSCOT (Bucks) Found: 8/2/2005 Based in a model village, which makes you feel giant

RIDGEWAY RUN - The Big Event Found: 7/26/2005 A run of caches along the Ridgeway long distance path, and an event on it. Which was big. Ish. And wet. No ish.

NETHER REGIONS (Bucks) Found: 5/30/2005 Was based in Nether Whinchendon. I liked it because folks could say 'I've done Simply Paul's Nether Regions. Chortle

MISSING CACHER (Bucks) Found: 5/29/2005 Was about a cacher, who went missing

"I AM NOT A NUMBER, I AM A FREE MAN!" (Bucks) Found: 5/1/2005 A cache based on The Prisoner 60's TV series, and that's his most famous line

MORONIC ATOMIC MINI-MICRO No. 1 Found: 3/25/2005 A silly story and a tiny, tiny cache.

ALL ROUND TO MY PLACE (Bucks) Found: 2/17/2005 Was an event in my lounge, to watch Countryfile

VISIT THE BIG HOUSE (Bucks) Found: 12/29/2004 A cache which 'forced' you to visit 'the big house' - US slang for jail (or gaol here)

Chess themed Geocache No.10 - BLACK KING (Bucks) Found: 8/30/2004 The original Black King event, in the shadow of a big tower block which I've always seen as The Black King

Good question Lester :huh:

FLY Found: 3/10/2006 - My nearest unfound for a year and one I tried maybe 10 times was by Dysdera, (spider in Latin) I wanted revenge. I knew where he lived and set this on the Isle of Wight so that it would be his closest unfound, but separated by the Solent. Clearly if he's called <<Spider>> there was only one name for this cache.

Shivering Mountain Earthcache Found: 3/7/2006 - The Location

STUMP Found: 3/4/2006 - The hide.

Holly Hill and Beyond (Hants) Found: 2/7/2006 - The Location.

Hexagons (Hants) Found: 2/3/2006 - I set this becuase I thought it would be amusing. Common comments follow the line of "I'll be seeing Hexagons in my sleep". Won't say why, it's a surprise.

ooh - time for some gratuitous cache promotion

The Only Guy in the Village - cache in the grounds of the house that Guy Fawkes and crew planned the famous events.

The World's First Cash point Cache- The site of the first cash point in the world. ALso a play on the words cache and cash. Also the title looks like somehow the cash point is involved in the finding of the cash (cache).

Forty Hall, into the woods - well you have to go into the woods, but named after one of the best musicals I have ever seen.

Whitewebbs, the holly and the ivy - hidden in a tree with ivy growing on it, next to the obvious holly bush

Flash Lane Aqueduct - err next to the aqueduct in Flash Lane

Our caches, using the format that SP used...

We try to incorporate an amusing pun in the cache title, unless we can't be bothered or the name is important finding the cache!

You Must Be Oaking Found: 3/11/2006 In Oaks Park.

2LO Found: 3/11/2006 helpful in solving the puzzle

Babbling Beverley Found: 3/11/2006 Near Beverley Brook, in Morden

Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Canons Found: 3/11/2006 Another amusing (?) pun that relates to parts of this multi

You haven't got a clue, have you? Found: 3/8/2006 Appropriate title for the crossword puzzle that makes up this mystery cache

Carew Manor (Wandle Wander Series) Found: 3/4/2006 Part of a series on the River Wandle, this one at Carew Manor

Tree's a crowd (Wandle Wander Series) Found: 2/27/2006 As above, also an amusing pun and a clue to the location

Ponds and Plaques Found: 2/27/2006 A multi in carshalton ponds, using the many plaques in the area as clues

Waddon Ponds (Wandle Wander Series) Found: 2/27/2006 at waddon ponds

Lavington Road (Wandle Wander Series) Found: 2/27/2006 'On' Lavington Road

Hilliers Lane (Wandle Wander Series) Found: 2/27/2006 Near Hilliers Lane

'X' Marks The Spot Found: 2/8/2006 not telling!

Hmmmm, this is a QI thread :rolleyes:

I wanted to do a Cat-themed cache and after browsing the local OS map my finger stabbed at the village of Catsash and the "Catsash Cats' Cache" was born.animal-smiley-027.gif Similarly, my recent Piscean Place ended up near a pond in Fishponds, Brisol.blinky.gif

"Alianore and the Swan" and "The Hermit and the Waterfall" refer to the local history at the cache locations.

"Night Glow" has some nearby glow-worms animal-smiley-075.gif if you're lucky enough to see them, "Devil's Congregation" is situated below the rock pinnacle known as the Devil's Pulpit devil.gif near Tintern.

And as for those dodgy "Reservoir Sheep" sheep.gif... well...I'm not talking :huh:

MrsB

With the exception of Jeepers creepers, which was set up to release a 'White Jeep' we use names. those relevant to the cache such as Capability Brown or Harry's Game and then family names which encourages them to take an interest and sometimes! maintain them. These are Natalie's Nest (grandaughter), Matty's Moods (Grandson), Lorna's Delight (her indoors). Whats in a Name! its the co-ords that count! :rolleyes::huh:

My cache hides, and their inspiration...

"You can see my house from here"...you can, 'nuff said

"Carve her name with pride"...named for lover's carving on a nearby stone outcrop

"Dr Beeching was here"...along the route of a former railway line

"Abberwick Mill"...the nearest location - not my most imaginative cache name

"The hills are alive with the sound of music"...a CD swap cache, up in the hills, no nuns or nazis involved

"Walking on the ridge"...on the border ridge in the Cheviot Hills. I was going to call this something else, but on the day I went to set it, an old Wilko Johnson song called 'Walking on the Edge' got stuck in my head, and that inspired the name

"It's a mystery to me"...on the splendidly named Conundrum Farm, so it just had to be done

"Moving Target"...location is given on 4 TBs which should be constantly on the move around the country