Another Newbie Needs Advice - Motorcycle & Geocaching

Ok, Gurus! Tell me which units I should look at. I ride motorcycles and want to combine that with geocaching. Questions:

Should I buy a GPS that goes on the motorcycle to get me close and then have a handheld when I get off to find the geocache? Any favorites?

Any units that work well on the bike and can be used as a handheld? Favorites?

I can either mount the unit on the handlebars or put it in my tankbag which has a clear top map pocket that I can see through. So... are there small computers/PDA units that would fit in my tank bag? I can get power to it easily by hooking a cord into a side power outlet.

Here are my preferences in no particular order:

Should be water resistant at least, waterproof probably needed

large color screen that can be viewed well in full sunlight as I ride

sensitive enough under tree cover

can download and use the location files on Geocaching.com

I am pretty good with computers so using 3rd party software and maps would be OK like Delorme mappng or some of the freeware that I saw on this site somewhere. But what would you use?

Cost - important but would spend what is necessary to get a really good, reliable, useful system that would last for years.

Thanks in advance for any advice!

I have the Garmin Vista C and really like it. You can get a mount for it for handlebars. It accepts the City Select maps for auto-routing. It is small, but the screen is easy to read in bright sunlight.

It is very durable and gets good reception for Geocaching. <_<

Your choice will depend on how much you want to spend. The new Garmin GPSMap60CSx units are really fantastic.

I became a Premium Member of this site so I could get Pocket Queries with 500 caches in each file that is emailed to me.

I also have an inexpensive Palm M500 for all the Geocaching info. I use Cachemate on the PDA and use GSAK on my PC to organize the cache data.

I use a Honda 250 Big Ruckus, which looks enough like a motorcycle that the BIG BoYS wave at me, to Geocache. I have a mount mounted on the handlebars that holds my Garmin 76C and use it for routing to the parking lot and then take it off and look for the cache. If I hadn't bought the Big Ruckus I would have enough money to buy a new 76Cx. Once you have a routing -turn by turn GPS you really don't want to leave home without it. Good luck. Dick

I ride a Honda VTX 1300 C and geocache with a Garmin eTrex Legend. Any eTrex or Vista is good for a bike. GET A RAM MOUNT. Don't bother with the rest because they don't work well on a bike. The arm/vise has a hand screw so if you like a sleek cruiser look (or whatever you are into) the RAM mount comes off and noone knows of your other hobby.

the eTrex get me close on the bike and then I pop it off to get me the rest of the way.

If I hadn't bought the Big Ruckus I would have enough money to buy a new 76Cx.

Sounds like you made the right choice! :rolleyes: I love riding and stopping for a quick cache. I would like to get a Vino 125 for caching in the city. A 700# bike is a bit much for STOP / U TURN :huh:

If I hadn't bought the Big Ruckus I would have enough money to buy a new 76Cx.

Sounds like you made the right choice! :rolleyes: I love riding and stopping for a quick cache. I would like to get a Vino 125 for caching in the city. A 700# bike is a bit much for STOP / U TURN :huh:

Thanks, I will be 81 next month and the wife will be 80 in August. We only live an hours ferry ride west of downtown Seattle. We love to trailer the Big Ruckus to places like Whidbey Island and stay in the state parks and ride the scooter around looking for caches. It has enough power and is stable enough to go 60 mph or so. We prefer to cruise along the back roads about 30 to 35 mph and enjoy the countryside. The 76C does a nice job routing us. I use it for geocaching and the XYL (wife) uses my older 76S. Dick

Ok, Gurus! Tell me which units I should look at. I ride motorcycles and want to combine that with geocaching.

Here is the set up on my Goldwing;

Ram Handlebar mount

Garmin GPS - started as a III+. then a V now a 60CS

12v Poer coord run to the accessory block.

plastic baggie To cover HF Radio and GPS, however I have rarely used as the fairing protects in motion and the come off and go in the bags when I am away from the bike.

MVC-166L.JPG

pics are with the III+

The full view of the bike can be found here.

Issues;

Vibration. on the III+ and the V they use a spring loaded, 4 aa battery set-up. the vibration occasionally cause poor contact for the batteries. A call to Garmin and they send you a spacer kit for no charge that fixes it.

Impression:

The RAM mount is the way to go. Sturdy and easy in and out. They have a lifetime warranty. If the mount breaks, you take a picture, send it to them, they send you a new part. I also have a suction cup mount in my vehicle. I simply take the arm and bracket and move them from vehicle to vehicle. I should say DID, because now I have mounts in all vehicles.

I have friends that have used tank bags with clear tops that work well, I just don't like looking down like that.

I have probably done around 100 finds this way, most of my out of states, and hand no problem. I have more of a problem taking the helmet on and off and disconnecting (I run a XM Radio as well as Ameteur HF radio on the bike, wired to them helmet.) then issues with the GPS. I have done this for almost 5 years now, prior to getting into GC, and it works well.

Reccomendation: If you want collor, the Garmin 60C will do what you need, however B&W is easier to view, this can be set both ways. RAM mount and 12v cord (fused) wired to the bike. Batteries will work, but why waste them on the ride.

Edited by baloo&bd

Thanks to all for your responses! I may just do the Lowrance Baja color unit as it is so rugged and has a large color screen. I can put it in my tankbag or get a ram mount. Also I can take it off and go looking for caches! I just bought an etrex just to mess around with. I need to do a bunch of caches before buying the Baja. It might not be the best one and it is not cheap!

A similar question was asked a few weeks ago. You may find that thread - 'Advice On New Gps Please?' - helpful. This was my reply, which may help answer many of your questions.

I use a Magellan Meridian Gold that spends much of its time attached to the handlebars of a motorcycle. The screen is large and easy to read, and the buttons are big enough to use at freeway speeds with winter gloves on. It does well enough under tree cover that I have no complaints, but the truth is, tree cover will give EVERY GPSr fits, regardless of make or claims. (That includes the very high-dollar, survey-grade GPS systems.) Some recreational units just handle it better than others and the MeriGold does fine, particularly if the WAAS is locked on.

The MeriGold is an older unit, but it has SD expandable memory, computer connectivity, and can be powered externally. Mine is more than three years old and is seemingly bullet-proof. I use mine for commuting, traveling and for work, and there are many days where the unit is left running for 8-10 hours at at time. Prices are in the $200-$300 +/- range.

If you want to stick with Garmin, I know that the GPS V is an excellent unit, and can be attached to a motorcycle easily. Price and features (and age) are similar to the Meridian Gold. I think the buttons would be a bit small to use while riding though.

25945_1600.JPG

25945_1700.JPG

25945_400.jpg

- Kewaneh

My two cents. I ride a FLTH (Harley Touring) and have a Magellan Sport Trak mounted to the handbars. Works pretty good and I haven't had any problems with vibrations that other riders I know have had.

IF I was to get a new GPS today I would go with the Gramin Quest, Water Proof, Light weight good battery life. I think it is the perfect fit for Riding and Caching.

If I was to gat a New Bike Today it would be a FLHTC or Goldwing.

"Wherever you go, There you are"

Jac in Da Box

Well I looked at the Lowrance Baja 480 and it is not for me. I like that it is rugged and waterproof but it has a GPS dongle antenna that must be placed somewhere. I don't know where I would put that on the motorcycle and it takes hard wired 12 volts. So I'll look elsewhere, maybe the quest but am also looking at the Lowrance H2O C Plus which is only about 300 smackers. But I sure would like a huge screen.

Another bike? Probably a Kawasaki Concours or a BMW RT. I have the Beemer cruiser (R1200C) and love it although it only has 60 hp.