Magellan Explorist 200 Or Lowrance Ifinder Go2?

ninorth

I would like a GPS just for geocashing. Witch unit is better.. Magellan eXplorist 200 or Lowrance iFinder GO2? Both are under 100 bucks. Is there a big downfall about eather of them? I like the Magellan eXplorist 200, but is the Lowrance iFinder GO2 better?

Edited by ninorth

Do either of those connect to a computer? That is a really important thing to consider.

I would put the Garmin eTrex Legend on your short list of GPSrs to consider. It comes with the computer cable and can be purchased for around $130.00.

It can also accept maps if you decide to purchase those someday.

Do either of those connect to a computer? That is a really important thing to consider.

I would put the Garmin eTrex Legend on your short list of GPSrs to consider. It comes with the computer cable and can be purchased for around $130.00.

It can also accept maps if you decide to purchase those someday.

I only have 100 to spend. I was looking to get a GPS about 3 years ago I was going to get a Magellan eXplorist 200. Now there is the Lowrance iFinder GO2. None od them conect to the computer.

I have read lots of good things on these Forums about the Lowrance.

Since you will be entering the coordinates by hand, be very careful to make sure you get the numbers correct. One number off and you could find yourself anywhere from 100's of feet away from where you are supposed to be to several miles away from where you want to be. :(

Ask me how I know . . . <_<

I have a eXplorist 200 and like it better than the iFinder GO2. It has a much better map and a better zoom range. The iFinder GO models only go down to .8th of a mile. The eXplorist goes down to 100 feet. The screen is easier to read and I think it is bigger. I find manually entering waypoints relatively easy. Practice avoids errors. There is a possibilty that I may be selling mine soon.

Edited by Dwoodford

I have a eXplorist 200 and like it better than the iFinder GO2. It has a much better map and a better zoom range. The iFinder GO models only go down to .8th of a mile. The eXplorist goes down to 100 feet. The screen is easier to read and I think it is bigger.

I like the Lowrance maps better. It's basemap is 32MB, while the Explorist's is only 4MB. Lowrance gives you much more detail in their basemaps.

The lowrance has 16 level grayscale and the Explorist only has 4 level grayscale. The Lowrance scales down to .2 miles, too, not .8.

Although the Explorist's screen is a bit larger (2.25" or so versus 2"), the Lowrance has a higher resolution (160x122 vs 200x140).

I like the user interface of the Explorist much better, both software-wise and hardware-wise (buttons).