What Makes The Mcdonald's Category So Bad?

Over the months in the Waymarking Forums, and probably elsewhere too, there have been a lot of comments (mostly negative) regarding the McDonald's category.

This is not intended to be a flame-broiled attack on any people, but a constructive discussion about what constitutes a category that meets with the approval of the Waymarking community.

So without being insulting, what do you see wrong with the idea of Commerical Waymark Categories?

Is there a way to allow these types or is it just sending the wrong message?

Is the problem that McDonald's and other huge corporations already have a huge advantage and that's what makes the independants (Mom and Pop stores) acceptable?

<_< The Blue Quasar

Over the months in the Waymarking Forums, and probably elsewhere too, there have been a lot of comments (mostly negative) regarding the McDonald's category.

This is not intended to be a flame-broiled attack on any people, but a constructive discussion about what constitutes a category that meets with the approval of the Waymarking community.

So without being insulting, what do you see wrong with the idea of Commerical Waymark Categories?

Is there a way to allow these types or is it just sending the wrong message?

Is the problem that McDonald's and other huge corporations already have a huge advantage and that's what makes the independants (Mom and Pop stores) acceptable?

<_< The Blue Quasar

I for one do not specifically like all the generic waymarks placed in the MC D category, but if I were traveling this would come in handy for a quick bite to eat. ( Especially if the kidies were with us. I personally have a waymark to add to that category it is a MCD that is a train, I personally will not create the generic ones but themed MC d's now thats another story. The one in a steamboat on the Missippi now that is another I would waymark if I get down there to snap a photo or the one that is a greenhouse up in the Northeern states or the one out west that is a saloon. Now thaose I would create. But the regular old MC D I will stay away from but I think it is good to be in this site as I said before I think in a couple of years Waymarking target audience is not just us from the geo community. I think that in time a broader community of waymarkers will enjoy these typwwe of categories because I think this site was reated not just from us who geocache but for the masses.

Yes I agree... and I don't intend for this thread to ONLY be about the McDonald category... it was just an example since people seemed really passionate about their opinions on it.

From a generic sense... are commerical waymarks going to be considered acceptable by people, or trashed openly?

I can see the use in them, but also why people might be opposed. I guess it comes down to this...

"Is there anything wrong with a category that encourages people to visit commercial locations"?

If so, what do you feel causes you concern?

<_< The Blue Quasar

McDs are just about everywhere you look around here. Some are 522 ft apart, to be exact.

28ac8fc8-1808-40a9-b294-0cd6c66f1725.jpg

To paraphrase Lewis Black (though he was referring to Starbucks)......

'I looked back and forth thinking the sun was playing tricks with my eyes. But there was a {McDonald's} across from a {McDonald's}. And that, my friends, is the End of The Universe.'

Worse yet here, a McDonald's inside a WalMart across from a McDonald's. Ouch.

Enough of my slanted contribution to this thread, just had to show this since it drives me bonkers.

I don't think it has happened yet (not to my knowledge anyway) but what is to prevent a commercial interest from "hijacking" Waymarking (McD's for example) and flooding it with the respective locations of their various stores, shops, restaurants etc. ? Wow, talk about a bonanza of free advertising.

I don't think it has happened yet (not to my knowledge anyway) but what is to prevent a commercial interest from "hijacking" Waymarking (McD's for example) and flooding it with the respective locations of their various stores, shops, restaurants etc. ? Wow, talk about a bonanza of free advertising.

Personally, I wouldn't mind in the slightest. If you're going to the category, then you are apriori looking for that commercial establishment, so it isn't really advertising (at least in the traditional sense). Of course someone could come up with a way to abuse the popularity filter, that would constitute advertising (although I imagine if McD's did it, it would probably lead to a cease and desist order, and maybe a law suit)

If McDonalds wants to tell me where all the McDonalds' are, then that is fine by me (as long as they have an accurate listing...)

The category managers, of course! Nothing gets through without their consent.

So is there something that prevents "Dunkin Donuts" from joining Waymarking and then ultimately owning a 'Dunkin Donuts' category ?

And should there be? Or would it be okay?

As a non-food example... what if Home Depot wants in on this?

Me... I don't care if they do, I don't get bent outta shape for that, there are better things to get upset over.

But could they?

:) The Blue Quasar

Well, for me, McDonalds category is terrible because they come a dime a dozen (sometimes cheaper even). Another reason is because to log, you have to eat there. That's a lame idea because people will lie just to get it logged (if they didn't eat there which will likely be the case) and it brings business to McDonalds that they otherwise wouldn't have (which would be fine if it wasn't free advertisement through Groundspeak).

I was shocked when I first saw the catagory but then realized it "fit in" with the poor eating habits and obesity in North America and of course a heart attack victim every 30 minutes. In my world I would only allow submissions of the mom and pop establishments that compete next door to the giants and usually offer better food. Who needs a waymarks, unless they're in braille, when you can spot the golden arches at most interchanges and from blocks away? Then again the McD's waymarks would narrow down the restaurant strip and the possiblility of finding better food next door by someone with the ability to manipulate this catagory. My $0.02, tks

BTW, are they were going to finish the second arch at McD's head quarters in St Louis?

dutchmaster