Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
sierra5

Ham Freq?

Hey

This is great that we now have a Ham and Geocaching forum. I am sitting here wondering if anyone brings along a ham HT when they go caching? I have been brining my FRS/GMRS but never thought to bring my VX-7. If any one does bring a HT what freq do you monitor? or is it strictly local repeaters?

Thanks

I have my VX-7R on my hip whenever I leave the house. So I guess I am a "Ham Freq".

Mine has all the local repeaters in it and the simplex freqs used in the area. I keep one VFO on the repeater I use most and scan the rest on the other.

73, KCØUYK

Local repeaters mostly, I have been leavin git in the truck since most of our area has such good cell coverage.

73 W4LHQ

Hey

This is great that we now have a Ham and Geocaching forum. I am sitting here wondering if anyone brings along a ham HT when they go caching? I have been brining my FRS/GMRS but never thought to bring my VX-7. If any one does bring a HT what freq do you monitor? or is it strictly local repeaters?

Thanks

We usually pre plan a repeater that works the area we are caching. When in the field, seems like the norm here in our area of North Carolina is 146.580 simplex. I use the VX-170, this radio was made for caching. Just added the water proof hand mic today "ouch" that was a quick $60.00 spent however, nice to know the next time it rains I wount have to hide the HT :rolleyes:

I have my VX-7R on my hip whenever I leave the house. So I guess I am a "Ham Freq".

Ditto: Usually on the local repeater, but maybe we could designate a national or international Geocaching simplex freq.

Edited: to fix quote.

Edited by rynd

Ditto: Usually on the local repeater, but maybe we could designate a national or international Geocaching simplex freq.

International might be somewhat difficult, as the frequency allocations vary. For example, the frequencies mentioned above are here outside the 2m HAM band, which is 144-146 MHz.

PMR is getting popular among cachers though. That is, the 446 MHz license free Personal Mobile Radio.

When I said international I was thinking about people who live and cache near borders with other countries. Here in Tennessee in the US it's not likely to come up very often on VHF and higher but for others I imagine it's common. I don't know what the two meters band limits are for other countries (though I probably should) but here they're 144~148. If I'm not mistaken (which I could be) I think they overlap in most places so it shouldn't be hard to find a simplex freq that we all could use. I suggest two meters simply because it's the most popular and it's where most hams here start with.

Well, if you come up to northern middle TN, we use 146.58 as our simplex freq when out 'caching...there are six or 7 local hams who cache. We also monitor a local repeater for wherever we are when we are out of simplex range.

I don't know that establishing a "national geocaching simplex" freq will catch on....some areas have different local informal agreements on use of simplex freqs. If I go to a new area, caching or not, I usually will keep an ear on 146.52, and throw my call out on there once in a while, too.

Hank/N3ORX

p.s. If you ever come up to the Montgomery county area, look for us on the 146.925 (PL 110.9) repeater.

I usually bring an HT with me when I go out caching on my motorcycle. Always have the mobile on when im in my truck .. But why not seeing about just using one of the IRLP reflectors as a 24/7 geocache chat freq? That way you can talk to a cacher around the world while your both out caching.??

Just a thought..

I usually bring an HT with me when I go out caching on my motorcycle. Always have the mobile on when im in my truck .. But why not seeing about just using one of the IRLP reflectors as a 24/7 geocache chat freq? That way you can talk to a cacher around the world while your both out caching.??

Just a thought..

You can always find a few cachers on node#1507 in New Westminster, BC. Andy's not a bad guy to talk to if you can understand the canookistan accent :mad:

I think I'll leave mine on 146.58 and split it with one of the local repeaters. I was just talking out loud to Thystle this morning about I wonder if there was a "dedicated" freq for Hamcachers. Lo'n'behold I find this topic. Since the only one mentioned is NC and TN and they seem to be on the same, it sounds like a good idea to me.

Justified

KB8PXV

i usually just scan my memories. i havnt really heard any hams on air while caching, just on the way back.

Locally I know of about 6 hams who Geocache. Compared to probably 80% of non-hams who carry GMRS/FRS I think you are much more likely to raise someone on the latter. I have a commercial handie that does UHF ham and FRS/GMRS should an emergency arrise. I've tried to get my ham friends involved in caching but have failed utterly. Someone put it this way, "How many nerds like to hike?" :P

Now I should make it clear that although I don't mind being referred to as a nerd once in a while, I don't consider myself a geek. That would be a nerd who has gone too far. :D

This topic has been beat to death once before. The general consensus was to monitor the national simplex channels. that is 146.520 on 2m, 446.000 on 70 cm, and ch-2 on FRS. there were several god reasons for sticking to the standards.

You can read about it HERE.

Enjoy.

I run around with my VX-7R on National Simplex: 146.52

I have yet to hear another cacher in Arizona though :huh:

I scan eveything on my 2M side and leave it on the Ch2 FRS on the 440 side of the FT-530 Dennis KR8U Team_Fitz