The Plan For New Waymark Forums

This will just be a temporary area for Waymarking.com to discuss waymarks and waymark categories. In the next two months we'll be releasing a much more integrated forum application that will better handle the growing needs of the Waymarking community.

Why? The issue with Waymarking is that each individual category will need to have a location to build its own community. To lump all the different Waymarking topics into one forum section wouldn't make sense very quickly. Anticipating this need we have put together a specification to take some existing forum software and adapt it --- so when a new category is created the new forum sections will automatically be created for it.

This of course makes it a much larger forum. For that reason the different forum sections will actually be contained at each waymark category page on Waymarking.com instead of a one page behemoth. They'll be like mini forums dedicated to each topic.

We'll provide more information about these new forums as we get closer to making them available. In the meantime feel free to discuss established waymark categories in this forum section.

Thanks for setting up this new section of the forums. I imagine that some bootlicker begged for a place to take discussions that really didn't belong in a "Getting Started" section.

I had a question about the new forum structure that you describe. I agree that it would be great for the mountain biking enthusiasts to have a forum where they can talk about mountain biking in conjunction with the waymark(s) devoted to mountain biking. And so on for all the other categories. But what about topics of general interest to all waymarkers, like bug reports, feature requests, general logging ethics and some of the other stuff we've been discussing for several months? Will this section of the Groundspeak Forums still be available for that?

Lep... do you mean having a Forum for Waymarking that emulates the one for Geocaching?

If so... that would be great. Course, I would like to see a clear division between the two... Kind of a "Separatist Movement" where all Waymarking discussion was in these areas, and not on the other side of the wall so to speak.

But it is the Groundspeak Forums, so the addition of what you suggested would be really great too.

:mad: The Blue Quasar

I suppose I should create a topic here for Recovered US Benchmarks since it is the largest category so far. It seems somewhat redundant though, given that there are already 2 forums for US benchmarks.

There could be some discussion about the management (variables, scope, etc.) of the Category, I guess. However, in my opinion, general discussion of benchmarks and benchmark hunting should be in the regular Benchmark Hunting forum.

When a full forum is created (presumably) for Reovered US Benchmarks, who will be able to (decide which and) move general benchmark topics (that will occur from time to time) to the Benchmark Hunting forum?