Another Mountain Bike Coin On Ebay

MedicOne

Possession is 9/10ths of the law but with that said I for one would like to have karma on my side. I am not sure if I see the difference between keeping a rare coin that has been activated and selling it. Does anyone get upset if a Moun10bike is kept in a personal collection? Even the original post in this thread stated they should have kept this in their collection. Again if I was the holder of this coin I would tend to keep karma on my side and move it along. I produced the Prime Meridian coin. I activated 2 for myself. I was so pleased to learn that one of them has been moved twice in the last 48 hours. If I turn this on myself would I be upset if either of those coins showed up on Ebay, yes I would be pissed off but there is not much I could do about it other than move on. Definitely a debateable topic.

The only thing I find interesting about this is WHO bid on it.

Some of the usual suspects, for sure (understandably) but I find it interesting that a few people who have said that they are no longer collecting coins bid a large sum of money on this coin.

If this person realy need the money to pay the bills then why does he have a Reserve on the coin. If he did need the money that bad then I would think he would take what he can get.

I wonder what the reserve is set at, and if it will be met in 20 hours... :)

--Marky

The only thing I find interesting about this is WHO bid on it.

Some of the usual suspects, for sure (understandably) but I find it interesting that a few people who have said that they are no longer collecting coins bid a large sum of money on this coin.

That would be me :anicute::anicute::) . I am the WHO :) . No secrets here. Yes its true I am no longer collecting geocoins, but however I can still buy what ever I want when I want...

Besides I been outbid so who cares?

I was more than a little upset to see yet another Moun10Bike series one coin, this one #103 on the ebay auction block. I was the last cacher to hold this coin prior to the owner who is currently selling. I sure hate seeing these being sold at auction and this one in particular. Wish now I had kept it safe on my mantle. Didn't know then what I know now or I most certainly would not have placed it on top of Illinois Peak!

I just looked at the history of #103. I wonder what happened to the Pinewood Derby Racer the Geocoin was attached to?

It would have been nice if #103 ended up as a prize for a contest or a challenge, or was passed onto a very dedicated Geocacher without the $hassles$ of eBay. I'm indifferent to his reason for selling, since everyone needs to pay bills - at least it's not a charity auction. Besides, it's not as if he's giving excuses for getting a tan after another bereavement leave for the n-th grandmother. :)

My wish is for the winning bidder to not go into a financial duress of his own. It would be nice to see #103 end up in hands of a Geocacher who'll appreciate it for more than its monetary value.

I'd really enjoy reading what the person who originally put the coin out thinks.

Wisely, I suspect that Moun10Bike has chosen not to chime in on this. Notice that the thread title has the word "another" in it. If you want to see what Moun10Bike had to say the other time, use the search function. I doubt his position has shifted (much).

Hmmm... I spent a while searching, but couldn't find the link you were mentioned.

This may be the thread - http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php...opic=117918&hl= . I don't know if there are others.

I wonder what the reserve is set at, and if it will be met in 20 hours... :rolleyes:

--Marky

I was thinking it was set at at least 1K, which is the only reason I bid on it in the first place. I knew the reserve was higher than I'd ever bid on a coin :unsure:

Heh, yeah, I was tempted to bid $900, but if that was the reserve, then I'd regret it (or maybe Joani would make me regret it). I wouldn't want to pay that much for a Moun10Bike coin that had white paint over the 3 anyway... :huh::huh:

--Marky

I wonder what the reserve is set at, and if it will be met in 20 hours... :P

--Marky

I was thinking it was set at at least 1K, which is the only reason I bid on it in the first place. I knew the reserve was higher than I'd ever bid on a coin :P

I'm just curious why you would assist the seller and bid on it, thus raising the price for them.

--Marky

I was thinking it was set at at least 1K, which is the only reason I bid on it in the first place. I knew the reserve was higher than I'd ever bid on a coin :P

I'm just curious why you would assist the seller and bid on it, thus raising the price for them.

why not? if it doesn't make reserve , it won't sell anyway.

--Marky

why not? if it doesn't make reserve , it won't sell anyway.

Not true. It can still sell, but the high bidder can opt out if they so choose.

i can't believe people will pay for $850 for a coin that they won't even officially own. now if a group of 50 people all decided to pay $20 and they pass it around at events... that would be cool.

i just can't see how a person can justify dropping a grand on a coin with no monetary value.

ben

I find it amusing that people think that owning the tracking number associated with a coin means you own the coin. Who could possibly care if the coin sitting on their shelf is "officially" owned by themself or someone else that has activated the darn thing. Just because a coin has "ownership" associated with this website doesn't make it any less real when you're the one holding it. I of course think it is sacrilege to exchange money for a moun10bike coin - but let's not forget that it takes more than just a seller to make that exchange.

No monetary value? It appears a handful of people would disagree with you. Don't get too caught up with the last four letters of the word: geocoin. Too many of them aren't even representative of that term anyway. We need a new term: geotoken, geomedallion or something :P

I find it amusing that people think that owning the tracking number associated with a coin means you own the coin. Who could possibly care if the coin sitting on their shelf is "officially" owned by themself or someone else that has activated the darn thing. Just because a coin has "ownership" associated with this website doesn't make it any less real when you're the one holding it. I of course think it is sacrilege to exchange money for a moun10bike coin - but let's not forget that it takes more than just a seller to make that exchange.

I consider all travelbugs I put out to be my property. People have my permission to move them from cache to cache. They don't have my permission to keep them or sell them. This is the same way I feel about coins I release to move from cache to cache. Am I the only one who thinks this way?

--Marky

I consider all travelbugs I put out to be my property. People have my permission to move them from cache to cache. They don't have my permission to keep them or sell them. This is the same way I feel about coins I release to move from cache to cache. Am I the only one who thinks this way?

--Marky

When the coin's page has information indicating that moving it along isn't required, then it must be assumed that the finder can also be the keeper. Most TB's have a little tag indicating otherwise :(

Of course for those foolish enough to drop a coin in a cache without any additional written info accompanying it, you gotta know that it's likely never to see another cache. But that's a different topic.

How about listing him, then seeing what you get. Then, if it's enough do the deed :(

You'd have to guarantee to the buyer that you could deliver him in the appropriate amount of time. You know, so you don't get in trouble with Ebay/PayPal. :o

Nah... production problems obtaining the proof :(

i can't believe people will pay for $850 for a coin that they won't even officially own. now if a group of 50 people all decided to pay $20 and they pass it around at events... that would be cool.

i just can't see how a person can justify dropping a grand on a coin with no monetary value.

ben

Why not? If you can afford something and you want it, why not? People pay extra for leather interiors on their cars. Is that wrong? People pay extra for a super duper stereo system. Is that wrong? People will pay big dollars for a fancy dinner out. Is that wrong? The answer is no. You may not be able to spend your money that way, or even have the money to spend that way... but it doesn't make it wrong.

What I don't understand is how people can make comments that they can't believe what others will pay for something they want. Heck, I've got some plastic baseball figures called Hartlands that sold for around $5.00 back in the sixties. Now they go for hundreds, up to over a thousand for the real rare ones. Why not?

Most of my geocoins are gifts from generous geocachers who have given me their personal geocoins. Since I don't have a personal geocoin to trade these are just that, GIFTS to me. I would no more think of selling one of these geocoins than I would think of taking a gift given me by my wife, sons or family and taking it and selling it for money. The prices some coins are bringing are tempting when you are hard up for money but it is just the idea of selling a gift given by a friend for a profit which goes against my personality.

But that is just me.

team sidewinder

Most of my geocoins are gifts from generous geocachers who have given me their personal geocoins. Since I don't have a personal geocoin to trade these are just that, GIFTS to me. I would no more think of selling one of these geocoins than I would think of taking a gift given me by my wife, sons or family and taking it and selling it for money. The prices some coins are bringing are tempting when you are hard up for money but it is just the idea of selling a gift given by a friend for a profit which goes against my personality.

But that is just me.

team sidewinder

I agree with what you said, however few Geocachers have Geocoin collections made up of gift Geocoins. They either traded for them, bought them, or were lucky enough to find them. That's REAL different than receiving them as a gift.

What no reserve this time? Wouldn't it be somethin' if it sold for LESS than the last high bid?! ;)

That WOULD be nice...but I highlly supect that there are some shenanagins (sp?) going on here. Scope out the names of the other bidders. Hmmmmmm? I wonder who they are?

It's been relisted again as he didn't meet reserve again.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...=ADME:B:SS:US:1

Hhhmmmmm ;):D;):D

Ya...and I am the current high bidder right now....only 3 days left...I seriously doubt that I will win this one. Just had to bid on a M10B Coin once in my lifetime...kinda like the playing the lottery. :D

I've bid higher before, but I think you deserve this coin, so I'm not going to outbid you. Maybe other people will follow my lead. :D

--Marky

Why not? If you can afford something and you want it, why not? People pay extra for leather interiors on their cars. Is that wrong? People pay extra for a super duper stereo system. Is that wrong? People will pay big dollars for a fancy dinner out. Is that wrong? The answer is no. You may not be able to spend your money that way, or even have the money to spend that way... but it doesn't make it wrong.

What I don't understand is how people can make comments that they can't believe what others will pay for something they want. Heck, I've got some plastic baseball figures called Hartlands that sold for around $5.00 back in the sixties. Now they go for hundreds, up to over a thousand for the real rare ones. Why not?

maybe i'm wrong and this coin will be worth thousands of dollars in the future.

but then again, maybe it will be worth nothing...

the rarest beanie babies would have sold for $750 ten years ago, and they aren't worth a fraction of that now.

there's also a difference from buying $5 action figures and a $850 coin... i don't think inflation's been THAT bad.

i doubt most people bidding on this coin want it for an investment.

so if they want to spend a grand on two inches of metal just so they can have it, fine. i'm sure they can afford it. i guess i'm just caught up in the real coins you could buy with $850. heh.

ben

Edited by benji55545

Closing this thread so as not to give further publicity to a coin sale that is not permitted to be advertised in these forums per the following guideline:

Links to Ebay sales of trackable geocoins are permitted, but only for unactivated coins or sales where the seller is the actual coin owner or the coin owner has granted explicit permission for the sale of their coin.

Lest anybody think that we (the Moderating Team) are acting unfairly - Moun10Bike has contacted the Moderating Team to inform us that he has not consented to this sale (nor any sale of his coins).

This should clear up any speculation on the ownership of these coins as well as the guidelines surrounding the advertisement of the selling of these coins.

- Your Friendly Neighborhood Pastafarian