Another Mountain Bike Coin On Ebay

MedicOne

I was more than a little upset to see yet another Moun10Bike series one coin, this one #103 on the ebay auction block. I was the last cacher to hold this coin prior to the owner who is currently selling. I sure hate seeing these being sold at auction and this one in particular. Wish now I had kept it safe on my mantle. Didn't know then what I know now or I most certainly would not have placed it on top of Illinois Peak!

Edited by MedicOne

I was more than a little upset to see yet another Moun10Bike series one coin, this one #103 on the ebay auction block. I was the last cacher to hold this coin prior to the owner who is currently selling. I sure hate seeing these being sold at auction and this one in particular. Wish now I had kept it safe on my mantle. Didn't know then what I know now or I most certainly would not have placed it on top of Illinois Peak!

I agree with you! I know my Moun10Bike V3 coin will never leave my hands or at least for more than a few minutes while a Geofriend is admiring it. It's mine and it ain't going nowhere! Thanks Moun10Bike!

I've never considered selling my MB10v3 coin. But, just in case I ever became tempted to make a quick buck, I took the extra precaution of having it surgically grafted to my ribcage. If you ever see me at an event lifting my shirt, somebody's probably logging it.

I always just thought you were flashing people :wub: or showing them your piercings :unsure:

Here's my 2cents worth. Just posted this one th auction.

You people make me SICK, you say you need the money to pay some bills....ever thought of getting a job??? instead of using someone else coin to make you some money?? Are you going to give any of the money made back to moun10bike??? i DONT think so.....I hope you choak on the money you make. !!!!! geocaching doesn't need people like YOU !!!!!

<_<:o:(:(:(:(:):huh:

When I looked at the auction, it was at $600, I'd say that IS a very high bid and how would that wreck it? It would just mean you'd end up with a tainted coin which cost you a TON of cash. I'd love to just SEE a Moun10bike coin someday. If I ever did, I'd keep it moving content in the knowledge that I had it in my hands at least for a short period of time.

*I am sure I will get flamed for this*

What if the seller in question is paying oh, I don't know, Hospital bills? What if they live in a cold climate and have to pay exhorbitant rates to heat their house and keep their family warm? Granted I do not have a moun10bike coin, I am very new to caching, but if I did, and I needed the cash that badly, I may end up selling it too. Of course my husband has had cancer 3 times and is going on a 4th hip surgery, I am a 1 time cancer survivor, we lost twin daughters in September 2004, all of which had bills to pay. So before you go judging someone on why they had to sell a coin that most likely they loved as much as you would, maybe you should step back and consider what would cause them to do such a thing. Greed isn't ALWAYS the reason. <_<

*flame on*

I've never considered selling my MB10v3 coin. But, just in case I ever became tempted to make a quick buck, I took the extra precaution of having it surgically grafted to my ribcage. If you ever see me at an event lifting my shirt, somebody's probably logging it.

I always just thought you were flashing people <_< or showing them your piercings :(

If you look at the log for this coin, he just picked the coin up in the cache that MedicOne dropped it into. This coin wasn't even traded to him with Moun10Bike, it's not his to sell! This guy's a thief!!! I'm reading this correctly aren't I? :

Retrieve it from a cache 7/17/2003 Macduff retrieved it from St Joe Lake - Illinois Peak Idaho

I will be headed East next month, and thought that the bug should come with.

Dropped off 7/16/2003 MedicOne placed it in St Joe Lake - Illinois Peak

What a freakin' thief!

So before you go judging someone on why they had to sell a coin that most likely they loved as much as you would, maybe you should step back and consider what would cause them to do such a thing. Greed isn't ALWAYS the reason. <_<

There are other ways of getting money, if you look at the guys GC.com profile he isn't even doing geocaching much any more he has moved to different stuff.

In NZ there are not a lot of geocoins but the ones that aer here KEEP moving, they don't get taken and NEVER placed again and they certainly DO NOT get sold to the highest bidder.....what ever the reason.

I mean that i could just place a bid and not pay.......but then again the guy would just re-list the coin.

and he would file a non-paying bidder alert.

obviously some people place a very high value on some coins.

I think it's all kind of silly. They may be rare, but they're not that rare, more are being released and geocoins are now common signature items for caching dogs, too.

If this coin thing gets any further out of control, Groundspeak's going to spin it off into another site.

How come nobody complains that people bid on these coins :(

I was wondering that too. <_< As of now 17 bids, some by names I recognize from this forum, which sort of surprised me.

I'm reasonably new to caching, and even newer to coin collecting, but I'm not sure what makes this coin fundamentally different than the other 539 coins currently being auctioned there. I'm just asking this as an honest question. Some collectors sell their extra coins and presumabely are making a profit, maybe they are paying their bills, maybe they are buying more coins. In any case they are not (as far as I know) giving back any of these profits to the original maker/owner of the coin.

The bidding is at $660 and the reserve has not been met. If people stopped bidding now the coin would not be sold, and the owner would be stuck with the listing fees. This particular coin will never again see a cache. In the end would be better for the seller (who seems to view the coin as a means to an end) to keep the coin or for it to go to someone else's collection presumably someone who appreciates the value of it? And they better appreciate it since it looks like it will cost them $1000 or so.

JRR

I was looking at the listing it claims that it is Uncirculated meaning that it hasn't been activated yet or had been moved from cache to cache. It is against Ebay's Policy to put false claims in their listings and this is where one is. You should report the auction to EBay right away.

If you look at the log for this coin, he just picked the coin up in the cache that MedicOne dropped it into. This coin wasn't even traded to him with Moun10Bike, it's not his to sell! This guy's a thief!!! I'm reading this correctly aren't I? :

While I do think he is being dishonest about saying it is unactivated, I looked at the log for this coin and in the description it says:

"Like a mountain bike, a Moun10Bike Geocoin yearns to roll to new, exciting destinations. Feel free to place it in a geocache, or pass it on to a friend and see where it goes! If you prefer, you are also welcome to keep it and give it a new home."

I am very new also, so I don't know if I am allowed an opinion on these coins that obviously mean alot to people, but I don't think he is a theif if the description of the coin tells the finder they can keep the coin.

I have already had a nevada coin disapear from a cache and I am bummed about it. But I think that an earlier poster is right...he kept it for 2 years...it obviously meant something to him. I have many material possessions that mean alot to me, but if my family is in trouble, they come first and I will sell things on ebay.

Now this coin can mean alot to someone else!

Vegas Librarian

I'm reasonably new to caching, and even newer to coin collecting, but I'm not sure what makes this coin fundamentally different than the other 539 coins currently being auctioned there.

From the auction listing:

This is the original Moun10Bike Geocoin. The very first geocoin ever minted.

The above quote is the truth. Moun10Bike made the very first geocoin, and even coined the term "geocoin". The version 1 coin is the most coveted of all geocoins for that reason alone. He has three versions and they get better looking each time <_< It was the only trackable geocoin on gc.com until fairly recently.

The funny thing about auctions is that it requires a minimum of 2 people to raise the price from the starting bid.

Sure it is sacrilege to sell a Moun10Bike coin, but you can't sell something if nobody buys it :(

As a recent seller of a moun10bike V3 on ebay, I see no wrong in placing coins up for auction. Moun10bike doesn't care that his coins get sold on ebay anymore than purchasing any other geocoin from ebay. If he objected to the sales, don't you think that he would get involved? If you find a geocoin that is rare and in high demand then it is only fair to say that someone is willing to pay a high price to have it. After all isn't that what drives the U.S economy? All the others on this post that are whining sound like they wish that they could have found that coin so that they might put it on ebay.

Hello zygote2k, I hope you know what you write!

You say, that everybody above will take a coin (moun10bike) out of a cache and will steal it.

Your post ia absolutly BULLs***!

I hope you are in the minority.

regards

marc

Update: A coin, which is travelling, belongs to someone and not the finder!!

Update: I found the coin. It is number 103 (TB2C6B).

See and build your own opinion. I hope the highest bidder will not pay.

Edited by Susanne&Marc

Some collectors sell their extra coins and presumabely are making a profit, maybe they are paying their bills, maybe they are buying more coins. In any case they are not (as far as I know) giving back any of these profits to the original maker/owner of the coin.

Be careful with what you say. There is a huge difference in reselling COMMERCIAL coins and reselling NON-COMMERCIAL coins. If a coin was sold and purchased to begin with, the reseller of said coin doesn't owe the original maker a thing. The original maker made their profit on the sale the first time around. You're lumping all coins into one category and that's kind of like saying apples and oranges are the same exact thing.

Some collectors sell their extra coins and presumabely are making a profit, maybe they are paying their bills, maybe they are buying more coins. In any case they are not (as far as I know) giving back any of these profits to the original maker/owner of the coin.

Be careful with what you say. There is a huge difference in reselling COMMERCIAL coins and reselling NON-COMMERCIAL coins. If a coin was sold and purchased to begin with, the reseller of said coin doesn't owe the original maker a thing. The original maker made their profit on the sale the first time around. You're lumping all coins into one category and that's kind of like saying apples and oranges are the same exact thing.

I agree with AtlantaGal!! The problem here is still the coin is a registered coin and registered to someone other than the person who is selling the coin. If we are going to sell coins we should only be able to sell unregistered coins or coins that we have registered oursleves.

I agree with AtlantaGal!! The problem here is still the coin is a registered coin and registered to someone other than the person who is selling the coin. If we are going to sell coins we should only be able to sell unregistered coins or coins that we have registered oursleves.

Problem is....selling coins on that e-place isn't illegal. As long as there are no written laws, then it's just more of a courtesy-thing than anything else. Worse case scenario...the seller gets a bad rep.

As a recent seller of a moun10bike V3 on ebay, I see no wrong in placing coins up for auction. Moun10bike doesn't care that his coins get sold on ebay anymore than purchasing any other geocoin from ebay. If he objected to the sales, don't you think that he would get involved? If you find a geocoin that is rare and in high demand then it is only fair to say that someone is willing to pay a high price to have it. After all isn't that what drives the U.S economy? All the others on this post that are whining sound like they wish that they could have found that coin so that they might put it on ebay.

That's not entirely true. Moun10bike himself bid one of these coins up to $1000 in a futile attempt to bring it back into the fold (If memory serves it eventually sold for $1250). You're probably correct in your statement on the U S Economy. Greed has driven it into the toilet; witness the debacle at Enron just as an off-the-cuff example. Randy Cunningham, one of only five Vietnam war aces will spend the rest of his life in a 10 x 10 jail sell (sic) as a result of his greed and willingness to "drive the U. S economy."

I FOUND this particular coin and did not put it up on Ebay; in fact, I put it out there for others to enjoy in accordance with the designer's orignal intent. I recently put out a V2 of the MB coin. Check out the post on the Lost Horse geocache to read what that entailed and the finder's adventure in seeking out that coin. The finder Georoo immediately put THAT coin back into circulation also - my kudos to him. I hold another in reserve and THAT coin will be placed for others to enjoy as soon as I find my next one.

Currently in Washington/Idaho there is a series of geocaches (My first Moun10bike geocoin) wherein a MB coin travels from cache to cache allowing everyone involved to initate a new cache in the series and hold one of these coins if only for a short period of time.

One last note; if one can afford the expense of geocaching (unless you WALK to all your finds the price of petrol - there goes that greedy U. S economy again - alone is a significant expense) then one probably doesn't need to sell one of these to pay his/her bills.

Edited by MedicOne

Another M10Bike coin on ebay? Again? Oh my goodness! Who should we call for help? I vote to start a geocoin investigative team to bring these people to justice for selling things found in a ammo can on public property <_< .

Man those crazy people... Who in the heck are they?

Did I miss it while I was reading? Is this coin activated? And if so, is it activated by the person who is selling it? If they are not the owner of the coin (activated in their name), then, it is not theirs to sell, plain and simple.

As I stated above:

Problem is....selling coins on that e-place isn't illegal. As long as there are no written laws, then it's just more of a courtesy-thing than anything else. Worse case scenario...the seller gets a bad rep.

E*** can't and won't enforce the Groundspeak travelbug "rule" because you can't go to jail or get fined, etc. for selling it. It's a raw deal for the person who had the coin made. Even rawer (Is that a word??) for the registered "owner". A geocoin has so little actual monetary "value" that it actually costs about the same to list it for sale as it does to have it made in many instances. Again, worse case...seller gets bad rep.

Can't say that I agree with selling a geocoin I found in a cache on ebay. <_< It isn't yours to sell, it was placed into a cache to circulate. Buying or trading a coin with a person (to me) is something wholly different since you paid for it (either in cash or barter) then you own it. But as others have said it takes two people to bid up the amount so someone obviously wants it really badly. LMK if its for a charity I will be happy to bid it higher. :(

Avroair

Oh and one other thing: the line selling this coin to pay the bills is getting so old. Please just state that you are selling the coin to profit from it as much as you can.

Hi,

If I was lucky enough to find this coin in a cache, I wouldn't sell it (or any other coin I found in a cache)...that being said, the current goal of this coin is:

Current GOAL: Like a mountain bike, a Moun10Bike Geocoin yearns to roll to new, exciting destinations. Feel free to place it in a geocache, or pass it on to a friend and see where it goes! If you prefer, you are also welcome to keep it and give it a new home.

The latest finder kept it, and will soon be giving it a new home. <_<

jamie

Moun10Bike Geocoin #103

Moun10Bike Geocoin Options

Add Comment Found It? Log it!

Edit/Watch Watch this Travel Bug

Print Bug Sheet Print Bug Sheet

View in Google Earth View in Google Earth

There are 11 users watching this listing.

Moun10bike CoinOwner: Moun10Bike

Released: Sunday, March 24, 2002

Origin: Washington, United States

Use TB2C6B to reference this travel bug.

How do Travel Bugs Work?

Recently Spotted: In the hands of Macduff

Current GOAL: Like a mountain bike, a Moun10Bike Geocoin yearns to roll to new, exciting destinations. Feel free to place it in a geocache, or pass it on to a friend and see where it goes! If you prefer, you are also welcome to keep it and give it a new home.

This coin is "owned" by moun10bike. However, as seen by my emphasis, he says you can KEEP IT. To me, that would mean if you are keeping it, you could also sell it.

Get over it folks, things like this happen. Deal with it and grow up.

However, as seen by my emphasis, he says you can KEEP IT. To me, that would mean if you are keeping it, you could also sell it.

And there are also plenty of cases where you are not allowed to re-sell items which are given away.

Not arguing for or against the sale, but some instructions on a web page are not a contract, and this is not a question of law.

I don't think when m10 bike stated that you could give it a new home, he meant by way of ebay. JMO

Yes, we all know that there is no law out there, I think that's clear and has pretty much been beat to death. The moral question is more the issue you here, and with that will always be differing opinions.

Edited by Hula Bum

Well, here I go again (giving my opinion). I was told once that opinions are like a**holes, everybody has one and they usually stink! I believe that this whole geocaching thing was founded on the principle of placing items into caches, some of which travel about so we can 'watch' them and enjoy their travels. Usually it is something of no or little value, so they travel. Now that these coins have become valuable, there are those among us who will profit from that fact. It is not ILLEGAL to do so, it may or may not even be unethical but it certainly stirs up emotions in many of us. To me, any Moun10bike coin is the holy grail and possesses a certain amount of reverence since this is where the craze began. I'm not going to join or form the geocoin police and try to get a hit out on somebody who sells these coins and makes a huge profit from that. I don't necessary like it and don't have much respect for somebody who does so but at the same time, there is little or nothing I can do about it. Just because I believe a certain way doesn't mean everybody else should feel that way, that is life in general and although it makes for lively conversation on forums such as this, we all know we can do NOTHING about it one way or the other. I would ask that Moun10bike himself get involved in this discussion so we know how he feels. The rest of us can give our opinion but these are his coins and we should take his lead in deciding if this practice is right or wrong. All I know for certain is, the only way I will possess one of these coins is to find one in a cache and it will only be in my hands for a limited period of time. I will most definitely take photos of it, of it with me holding it but it will NEVER show up on e-bay. I'm not rich by any stretch of the imagination (I have to control myself in purchasing coins when they are first released) but I don't need money badly enough to sell one of these coins. The mindset that would possess a person to spend anywhere from $600 to $1200 for one of these coins just amazes me but this is reality so one just has to marvel in it all. I guess this just shows how passionate those of us interested in this hobby can be. That is exactly the trait that I like in my fellow cachers in most instances. :rolleyes:

So, if I place an item in a cache and somebody finds it and puts it in another cache or takes it or puts it on ebay, should I be happy or sad from the reults? Neither- If you put it out there, you shouldn't put expectations on it or you will be disappointed. SERENDIPITY

Bad...this is bad...all the parsing and "law-talk" and justification...it's wrong to take an activated coin you find in a cache and sell it and all of you know it is.

*shrug* That said...I sleep good at night, don't know about the seller.

Edited by ATMouse

I'd really enjoy reading what the person who originally put the coin out thinks. To me, this is just silly. Someone wants to sell something that they found and by the previous owners own statement, they now own. That's fine folks. They aren't evil. They aren't bad. They don't have a problem with morals. It's just not a big deal. What one person will pay for something you or I might not think is worth it, also IS NO BIG DEAL. Geshhhh.

I'd really enjoy reading what the person who originally put the coin out thinks.

Wisely, I suspect that Moun10Bike has chosen not to chime in on this. Notice that the thread title has the word "another" in it. If you want to see what Moun10Bike had to say the other time, use the search function. I doubt his position has shifted (much).

I'd really enjoy reading what the person who originally put the coin out thinks.

Wisely, I suspect that Moun10Bike has chosen not to chime in on this. Notice that the thread title has the word "another" in it. If you want to see what Moun10Bike had to say the other time, use the search function. I doubt his position has shifted (much).

MTB is on vacation for 2 weeks, altho he might not choose to say anything even if he were here. As you say, he made his position known previously and it wasn't pro-sale.

Hmmm... I spent a while searching, but couldn't find the link you were mentioned.

There are multiple versions of the geocoin page for version 1. This version says it's okay give it a new home (i.e. keep it). There are other version 1s that don't have this text. If the coin being sold was one that didn't have the text, then I'd have a big problem with it. This auction seems somewhat legal, although because Moun10Bike is the 'owner' according to Groundspeak, he could shut down the auction if he wanted to. Since he has not, he must be at least somewhat okay with people doing this.

Now, if I could only find my Moun10Bike v3, which seems to have rolled away when we were reorganizing our coin binders. :rolleyes:

--Marky

I was looking at the listing it claims that it is Uncirculated meaning that it hasn't been activated yet or had been moved from cache to cache. It is against Ebay's Policy to put false claims in their listings and this is where one is. You should report the auction to EBay right away.

I asked the seller about that. Here is his reply:

"Well, my son and I collect 'regular' coins, and a circulated coin is generally considered to be one that you get as change from a transaction. This coin was in a container in a cache. Since it has not been 'circulated' per say, I just listed it as uncirculated. I suppose that it is techincally circulated, but I figured that the ebay definition of a circulated coin applies to 'regular' coins, not necessarily medallions or tokens that do not experience the wear and tear of a coin that is being used for financial transactions. I see your point, though."