Opinions On Your Gpsr

im thinking of upgrading my etrex legend to something flash with a colour screen - and as i use my gps in woodlands much of the time (not just for geocaching) i would like something that handles heavy tree cover well.

i'd therefore be grateful for your opinions and recommendations based on what gear you use.

cheers! :wub:

im thinking of upgrading my etrex legend to something flash with a colour screen - and as i use my gps in woodlands much of the time (not just for geocaching) i would like something that handles heavy tree cover well.

i'd therefore be grateful for your opinions and recommendations based on what gear you use.

cheers! :wub:

I know a few of us here use Garmin GPSmap60Cs or CSs, which have built in quad helix aerials. I can't really explain what that means in lamen's terms, but it is supposed to be able to acquire signals where normal patch aerials struggle. It also has a lovely colour screen and autorouting capabilities for use in-car with suitable mapping software.

This should meet your requirements with the upgraded aerial and screen. The new CX or CSX models have expandable memory thanks to sd card slots and supposedly have even better reception due to some tweaks inside.

GK

EDIT: Forgot to mention that we use the 60c and are very happy with it. :unsure:

Edited by Geo-Kate

Do whatever it takes but get a Garmin 60CSx!

I got a 60CS in December and it was excellent, better than any previous GPS’r I have had, and I was quite happy with it, although it would lose the signal every now and then if there was any tree cover, unlike my sons PDA with a separate SiRFstar 3 receiver.

When I discovered the CSx in February I had to have one (It’s essential Max, must have latest technology or world will end, etc etc) so ordered one and sold the CS on eBay.

It really is a huge step forward, I can’t believe how sensitive it is, it hasn’t lost Satellite reception once in 20 caches, and on open ground usually has all 12 at good strength, something I have never seen before.

It usually acquires a 3D fix in seconds, and will hold it in my pocket, or even sitting on the stairs of my house, (nowhere near a window), although the accuracy does drop a bit!

The only slight downside is that it does “wander a bit” when you are standing still, which the CS didn’t, apparently my computer and house have moved 300feet in the last ½ an hour.

Regards

Paul

Garmin's move to incorporate microSD (formally known as Transflash) memory cards is long overdue. This upgrade fixes the greatest shortfall in the eTrex family of handheld GPS units.

I have plumped for upgrading my Vista C for a Cx model. I love the small and compact size of the unit, fits nicely onto the handlebars of my bicycle.

The 32MB card that came with the unit has already been relegated in favour of a 256MB alternative. This has loaded the whole of the UK, Ireland, Holland and big, dense chunks of Germany and Belguim from Metroguiade Europe V7.

When my upgrade to City Navigator V8 arrives, I shall be unlocking it for my Streetpilot and the Vista Cx. This will give me full autorouting on the Vista Cx on the bike and the Streetpilot in the car.

I have just bought a csx and its the dogs danglies :P

Can get a fix +- 5m sat at my kitchen table :lol:

Had to sell one of my kidneys to buy it tho :)

Im amazed that you are able to get a lock in a house! Can the unit actually 'see' sats through the roof, or was it picking up the signals through the window?

I have a 60c, and now feel quite depressed, as the new x series seem so much better! I often have momentary loss of fix in heavy tree cover, and certainly suffer from the blue circle getting to near the size of the screen. :D

One question, though. Are the new units actually faster? What I mean is; since getting the Topo UK maps installed, the extra detail on the maps makes the rendering so slow it has become all but useless for road navigation. It would be good to know Garmin have addressed this with the new chipset.

Sorry to hijack the thread, but it's not too fasr from the OP :D

Yes, my 60CSx gets a lock inside my house, the office, shopping centre etc etc. The satellite page shows that the signal comes through the roof and two floors, as well as coming through the windows. A strong signal from 5-8 satellites seems to be typical when inside.

Mapping with Topo V2 is pretty fast although I'm not making a direct comparison.

Im amazed that you are able to get a lock in a house! Can the unit actually 'see' sats through the roof, or was it picking up the signals through the window?

I have a 60c, and now feel quite depressed, as the new x series seem so much better! I often have momentary loss of fix in heavy tree cover, and certainly suffer from the blue circle getting to near the size of the screen. :mad:

One question, though. Are the new units actually faster? What I mean is; since getting the Topo UK maps installed, the extra detail on the maps makes the rendering so slow it has become all but useless for road navigation. It would be good to know Garmin have addressed this with the new chipset.

Sorry to hijack the thread, but it's not too fasr from the OP :mad:

As someone else has said, it appears to get them through the roof and windows :D

So using it in woodland should be excellent.

Have not added any mapping software yet, but will watch out for peoples posts regarding this. As your mention of it slowing the unit down is a bit worrying, hope the csx is better

just a thought! if the cache was hidden by a less accurate older device does the more accurate later device take you to the sameplace?

Should do, it depends on how well the readings were taken. If the placer of the cache took numerous readings, and then worked out the average, or even better, had a unit which can do averaging, then the readingd should be good.

If the placer just took one reading, and posted that one, there could be a hige difference.

But you are right in thinking a cache's logged location is only as good as the reading taken at that time, regardless of whic unit it is. That's why many readings should be taken.