Found A Brand New Cache Before It Was Posted

Last weekend, we were out searching for a location to hide a new cache, when we stumbled across a cache that had not yet been approved (GCTHTH). We could not believe it.

This was a BRAND NEW cache, not one that was being adopted. There was no way for us to know that it was there. The cache owner was as surprised as we were when we notified them via email.

So has it happened to you?

Good job. Now that is a FTF using your geo-sense. I'd claim it as found and tell the story on the log, alot of folks would get a kick out of it.

I've only found 1 section of a multi out of order that I was searching for, the spot looked like it could hold a cache and sure enough it did.

Our close encounter was pulling up to a trailhead and watching another cacher load an ammo box in their backback sitting on the tailgate of their truck. He was looking around but didn't see us. We were laughing because we had loaded our cache container in our backpack before we left home. It was the subject of much discussion. Wife thought it was a bunch of silliness - who would notice or care if we stuffed the lock-n-lock in our bag once we arrived? We watched as he disapeared down the trail and we headed off to another part of the area. We didn't even get the FTF when we came back after it was published.

A couple of weeks ago a fellow cacher and I had "dad's day off" on the same day and decided to mount a marathon caching adventure (350 miles round trip) and found a new film canister micro on the back of a sign. We signed the log as co-ftf and have been watching the GC website but still haven't seen a new post.

btw, the cache was near the intersection of Floyd, Gordon, Walker, and Chattooga counties in case the owner reads this thread and wants to e-mail me.

Greg Hall

Haven't found a new one yet, but I found an archived one. :D

While searching for a 7 leg multi about 2 months ago...I absolutely could not get past...I believe it was the third leg. I did what anyone would do and expeanded the search, and came across a Hide-a-Key rock, but it was really off from where the coords said it would be. And I guess I should have noticed the print on it was different, but who pays attention to those things? I went where they told me and again had a hard time finding it, but upon expanding my search again, came across another rock with a cap in the bottom of it. I thought for sure it was the next leg of the cache I was trying to find, but instead it had a logbook and some very small items in it.

When I had a chance to research it that night, I found out it was part of another 6 or 7 leg multi in the same park that was in the habit of losing it's second leg too many times! The owner archived it 2 years ago but never retrieved the pieces. ;)

I did finally find the cache I was looking for, but skipped about 4 legs in between. ;)

I have also passed by a perfect hiding place for a cache, on the way looking for a cache....only to find on the way back that the perfect place had a cache, too. (If that makes any sense.)

Haven't found one before it was posted, but just a few weeks ago was in a large preserve, trying to figure out the best approach to a traditional when I saw something familiar, an ammo can under a log. It was the final of a multi/puzzle in the area. After a search on the site and emailing the cache owner I figured out which one it was, then solved the puzzle to match the coords I'd seen on the ammo can.

Also found a letter box right before getting FTF on a short multi.

I managed to get to a cache location before the cache was there. In this case the owners had posted the coords but not placed the cache. Guess they figured they were going to be approved in a couple of days. So I was at the cache site searching around when they came up to actually place the cache.

Hey, has anyone ever found a cache before it was listed?

Well, I did a few days ago. On my lunch break, I went to scout an area for a future hiding place. I parked, and walked over near a End of road barrier, and looked around. Looked in the tree'e behind it, but did not see a good spot. Then I noticed some support peices of wood at the bottom of the main posts. One looked like it might be loose, so I pulled it off, to see if I could maybe carve it out for cache placement. I look, and whats this? A painted mint tin inside. Now, for a second, I thought maybe I had already placed one there and was having a senior moment. (not a senior yet though). No, thats not it. So, I open it up and there is a micro log and cache printout. I cannot believe that I have just found a cache that has not been published. It does have a waypoint #, so I jot it down and sign our name. My head is spinning, as what are the odd's of finding one before it is listed?

Turns out, some local cachers had placed it about an hour and a half before. They had actually added the side supports, on all 4 posts, even though the cache was in one. Really nice craftsmanship! It was published about midnight that night, so I logged it and told of my incredible feat. It still seems surreal, as the odd's of walking right up and finding it seem very long. Anyway, if you are interested in seeing the cache page it is :GCVREB.

Anyone have any simular experiences?

Cache On!

I remember a time when another cacher got an FTF on a cache being placed by Team "Wyle E" while the cache was still in prep stages sitting on the floor of the office. How was this find made, you ask? Larry of Team "Wyle E" had a webcam in his office, and someone spotted the ammo can with lid open and contents inside, sitting on the floor at the edge of the webcam view.

Now, a cache I was going for FTF on a few weeks ago in a very wet snowstorm had been found 2 days prior to listing because another caching team was going to place a cache there, in the exact same spot. Coming out of the cache area with soaked jeans was suddenly not very worth the effort because of the 3TF I ended up with, but kudos to them for having the same great eye as the original hider.

We once placed a cache by this great remains of a rock building. In the cache we had asked the question as to what kind of business this once was. We were not in a hurry to post the cache and several days later we got an answer to our question. It was only later that we realized we hadn't even filled out the cache page. We found out the other geocachers were looking to place a cache and found ours.

Haven't found a new one yet, but I found an archived one. :)

I too found an archived cache that had been in my gps for awhile. I think it had been around 6 months or so since it had been archived. The cache was along the Katy trail. I found some markers and a TRAVEL BUG in the spot where the cache had been. The TB had been there that long and never got muggled. Needless to say the 9 year old TB owner was very happy his bug was rescued and on the move again! :)