Route 66 Search Help

JADAS

Hey all. My family is new to geocaching. Is there anyway to do a search for caches on route 66 between Chicago and Springfield, IL? We are taking a little trip to Springfield for spring break to do a few days of caching. Thought it would be extra fun to take Route 66 and see what we can find. Any pointers on how to do an easy search like that. Thank you!!

Jen

Is there anyway to do a search for caches on route 66 between Chicago and Springfield, IL?

The way I have done it in the past is to pick points along the route that are about 100 miles apart and do multiple PQ's with a radius of 75 miles (you will have overlap) and set the query for the max 500. You can adjust the overlap by looking at a preview of the query and adjusting your mileage and or points used aloing the route.

If you use GSAK, you can set up a filter to look at all the caches with X miles of the route and look taht way.

If you don't use GSAK, you can load them in your favorite mape program and look at them that way to see the ones closest to the road. There are a bunch both along the rtt 66 route as well as if you jump on the I55 route.

I could go into more detail if you need on either of these methods. What software/GPS are you using?

Edited by baloo&bd

I am using GSAK and Garmin etrex legend C. I was only wanting it to be a few miles off of Route 66, didn't want to make long detours off of it.

Thanks for helping with this!!

Jen

OK, you would still set up PQ's similar to what I said. Then go here for a more detailed explanation of how to filter along a route.