Ramada Limited

Travelodge (not recommended)

Kelso:

Red Lion

Comfort Inn

Guesthouse

Super 8

Best Western

Best Value Inn (this location is not listed on the Best Value Inn website, not sure why)

Motel 6 (thanks Jester)

Longview doesn't really have a lot of hotel options, and the one's they have are mostly bad. There's the fancy Monticello Hotel but I've heard it looks very nice from the outside and in the foyer but the rooms aren't the best. And it doesn't seem to have a website so really how good could it be. B)

Kelso has the hotels because Kelso is on the freeway. The cities are right next to each other so other than where the tax dollars go it really doesn't matter.

We've stayed at the Red Lion and it was nice. Weyerhaeuser usually suggests Guesthouse for travellers. We've also stayed at the Travelodge and while it's cheap and probably the closest (not by much) I wouldn't recommend it.

Edited by Stump

Some questions:

• There is a cache on an island in a small lake. You'll be at the launching spot for another cache anyway but it would take about 15-20 minutes to paddle over grab the cache and come back and . If I had someone with a 3 person raft would people be interested in this cache being on the route? (of course, this is weather permitting)

• I plan to include most of the multis and puzzle caches on the route. Part of this is because we don't have that many caches around here (I think it's only about 65 on the route including multis). Part of it is that at other machines it seems most people seem to want to do them regardless of whether they're on the machine or not. But mostly, it's because they're fairly quick/easy and don't take any prep work beforehand (no puzzles to solve!!). Anyone have a problem with this?

• I have found someone willng to host a coffee stop on the route. Is this something people want to see in a cache machine? At about 10 AM? I assume so but wanted to make sure. I like the idea of it being an alternative meet up spot for people running late or smart enough to sleep in on Saturday.

• There are about 6 caches between Castle Rock and about 16 minutes east of Castle Rock . Castle Rock is about 10 minutes north of Longview. Are people interested in a mini-machine Friday night before the real machine and then maybe pizza afterwards?

1) Yes!

2) Cool with us!

3) Sounds great! Coffee will be needed by then!

4) What time would this start? Can our group just show up for pizza? We are coming over from Spokane that day and may be running late if we cache too much along the way.

Looking to borrow a local for navigational purposes. Will offer Beer! Must be familiar with the area and willing to hang out with goofy Montana people. Only room for 1.

If no locals are interested, we will happily have someone join us in the vehicle if they want to cache-pool!

-J

Just heard on the news today that they found 6 East Asian Wasps on a ship in Longview WA. They will be watching to see if anymore are around. They say they carry quite a wallop when they sting. Wonder if it is as bad as the wallop we get when we get stung by the local WSP. ;)

The reason we chose Ramada because they had a Microwave and Fridge in the room. On our recent trip to Wenatchee that came in handy. Always cold beer and pop at night and cold milk in the morning for cereal. It was also alot easier to make sandwiches for the day. If staying an extra day we just popped dinner in the mircowave.

Mr. WD likes the Wi-Fi.... he stays up all night playing with the laptop. I have to drag him out of bed in the morning! <_<

I can't wait, this is going to be fun! :lol:

I can't wait, this is going to be fun! <_<

I certainly hope so. The event mini-buttons have arrived! The weather is clearing up and if it keeps up we'll have a raft available to use to get a cache on an island in a small lake. Culp686 is graciously hosting a coffee stop for everyone.

Unfortunately, for some reason a lot of caches are going missing right now down here. Not sure why, they're a variety of types of hides, hiders, and locations so no common reason other than it's spring. But it doesn't seem to be the work of a cache pirate though. I'm replacing one more tonight and three more tomorrow.

Looks like we'll have one cache (Littlest Venice) out of comission because the city is doing work there. Hopefully they'll return the hiding spot to it's location but it's been a couple of weeks and they haven't.

I didn't hear much response on a Friday night dinner or caching in Castle Rock so don't have any plans for that.

It should be a good time. It's a good route that will allow people to just do the Washington state, just do Washington state/Rainier, OR, or to be adventurous and explore Hwy 30 down to St. Helens, OR.

If it's a clear day I'd really recommend everyone go to the four mountain view cache. If a view of the four mountains (Hood, Adams, St. Helens, Rainier) is something you'd enjoy.

There is one last cache that will be added to the route before I can come up with a final route. Hopefully that will be done this weekend.

The only "significant" walking will be up Mt. Solo. It's a short (1/4-1/2 mile) trek up a large hill to get two caches. It's iffy for a cache machine but far easier than some caches on other machines.

I believe all driving will be on paved roads, nothing needing high clearance vehicles.

And I think this is the first machine without any virtuals!

Edited by Stump
No Virtuals in Wenatchee.

Oh yeah, that's right! Though the bus stop cache was really close to a virtual for some of us until Robin saved the day. <_<

I love hearing No Virtuals!!!

Actually, I like the idea of virtuals and am disappointed in their departure. But that's for another thread.

We were definately hoping for dinner on Friday night. Doesn't need to be anything organized, just name a spot.

We'll also be staying at the Ramada.

Ditto

Patudles AND Team Noltex want a friday night dinner. How can I turn them down?

Dinner will be at 6:30 at Izzy's Pizza in Kelso (it's right off the freeway so it's convenient for everyone). I'll post the coordinates on the event page.

Edited by Stump

We were definately hoping for dinner on Friday night. Doesn't need to be anything organized, just name a spot.

We'll also be staying at the Ramada.

Ditto

Dinner will be at 6:30 at Izzy's Pizza in Kelso (it's right off the freeway so it's convenient for everyone). I'll post the coordinates on the event page.

Sounds good kids! Hopefully we can make it there in time! :mad:

We'll be there too!

Mmmm.... Pizza!

You'd better be there Jester. I was thinking of you when I chose Izzy's. :mad: (okay, mostly I was thinking about location)

The last cache has been hidden and approved so hoping to get the final draft done tonight. If not tonight then it will be posted tomorrow.

Also working on a .loc file with all the waypoints and parking spots with the caches numbered. I will also post the .est file for those who want it.

Thanks to Culp686 graciously allowing cache machiners to get the final coordinates to his long (and very good) multi The BURNHAM cache all the caches in the area except one will be on the route. The one that won't be there (Goble Falls) requires you to walk through a stream. Fun and my favorite cache in the area, but probably not something you want to do on a machine.

Right now the weather for Saturday is looking like warm but cloudy. Hopefully it'll be clear enough to at least see Mt. St. Helens as you drive around. It sure is cool looking this time of year when it's bright white instead of dull gray. Probably asking too much for us to be able to see all the way to Mt. Rainier like we did last weekend but maybe.

The coffee spot (a big thanks to the Culp crew) will be about 10 AM and it looks like the weather will be nice enough to bring the boat to get the quick island cache.

Edited by Stump

Are there coordinates for the coffee stop?

Yes.

Okay, I left myself wide open for that one.

Let me rephrase the question.

Are you going to post coordinates for the coffee stop?

:huh: Yes, the coordinates for the coffee stop have been posted. But you won't need to worry about them. As I posted on the event page we put the coffee stop on the route where you'll be passing right by to do the What comes around goes around multi-cache. In fact, one of the waypoints is right at the coffee stop.

A heads up for everyone. The maps in the Longview area for some reason really stink. The roads have been around for over 50 years yet the routing software still screws up a lot of spots. The important ones for the machine are:

1) Gerhart Gardens - There's an exit off the highway right to the park but it's not on the maps so I had to move the cache across the river so it would route to it

2) Lewis and Clark bridge - The bridge only exits to Hwy 30 but the software thinks you can turn right onto a side road. I added an extra stop for a map correction so that you'll be taken the correct way.

Also, a note on lunch. There are plenty of spots in Longview/Kelso (along Washington Way and Ocean Beach Hwy) to eat but once you cross the bridge to Oregon you're choices are limited until you get to St. Helens at the southern end of the route. There are a couple of nice delis in downtown Longview (near intersection of Commerce & Broadway) if you'd like to get away from fast food. There's also free WiFi at Sunset Bagels in Kelso (503 Allen St), they serve lunch and dinner. And if you want coffee there's free WiFi at Common Ground (1333 Broadway).

And lastly, if you see furry creatures swimming in Lake Sacajawea (and you probably will) they aren't beavers they're nutria. If you think they're cute (Mrs. Stump does) and want to catch one and take it home with you the city would be glad to let you. :laughing:

We'll be there too!

Mmmm.... Pizza!

You'd better be there Jester. I was thinking of you when I chose Izzy's. :) (okay, mostly I was thinking about location)

I even got my wife to leave work early so we can make easily!

Mmmmm ... Izzy's (the only one nearby closed a couple of years ago :blink::D )

Noob here. Who all is invited? or is it an open invitation?

Everyone is invited, WK02. Especially the locals!

You can just show up Friday night for dinner, Saturday night for dinner, or Saturday morning at 6 AM. Or if you'd like, just show up at the coffee stop (north end of the Lake) around 10 AM.

Everyone is invited, WK02. Especially the locals!

You can just show up Friday night for dinner, Saturday night for dinner, or Saturday morning at 6 AM. Or if you'd like, just show up at the coffee stop (north end of the Lake) around 10 AM.

Ok, that would be great :huh: I work 12 mid. - 7:00ish a.m. both Fri. & Sat. so I will keep you informed on when I will be showing up.

Can't wait to meet you folks.

Best Regards,

WK02

I was watching the news and it looks like the Louis and Clark bridge will be closed Friday at 2 due to a large crain being shipped up the river. I seem to be having problems finding a text of the news cast and it didn't say how long the bridge would be shut down. Hopefully someone can confirm that I heard this correctly.

Hey WK02!

Of course you are invited. It's an open invitation to all geocahers. I think you will have fun. Plus it will give you the opportunity to meet some of us zaney geocachers. :huh:

Welcome and hope to see you there.

Donna (Wienerdog) :P

I was watching the news and it looks like the Louis and Clark bridge will be closed Friday at 2 due to a large crain being shipped up the river. I seem to be having problems finding a text of the news cast and it didn't say how long the bridge would be shut down. Hopefully someone can confirm that I heard this correctly.

It'll be closed for about an hour from 1-2. There will only be about 3 feet clearance between the crane and the bridge so they want to make sure the bridge is empty. It's tide dependent so unless the bridge collapses it won't be more than an hour or so. The crane has been waiting in Seattle for about a week for the river to be low enough.

The weather is supposed to be 64º with clouds and sunshine interspersed.

Gee, it sounds just like the weather during the Bellingham Cache Machine :huh:B):P

I won't be making the Longview machine, so you guys all have a good time and drive safe!

Well I'm sure we'll be having fun, driving safe, now that's another story. :P

Gee, it sounds just like the weather during the Bellingham Cache Machine :huh:B):P

I won't be making the Longview machine, so you guys all have a good time and drive safe!

Well I'm sure we'll be having fun, driving safe, now that's another story. :P

Hmmm... Would be safer to be ahead or behind LR? B)