$10 Fee For Placing Cache In N.y. State Park

Luckless

I just called a local state park about their policies for placing a cache in the park and was told they charge $10. Hmm, I had thought I'd like to place some in several local state parks, but now I'm not so sure. Maybe I'll place one and see how it goes. I guess that $10 is for each cache placed-probably should have asked. I also should have asked if it came with a time limit. There is one located in one of the parks here and it has only had a couple finds. $10 for a cache that isn't visited too often...hmmm...or worse yet gets muggled and disappears....hmmm. Not to mention the cost of maintenence...gas to get there... probably have to pay to get into the park unless I go at off hours.

I understand managers wanting people to report the general location of their cache hides to be sure people aren't going into sensitive areas preserved for wildlife or history.

Seems too bad if this policy keeps people from putting caches in the park. I wouldn't mind paying an entrance fee to a park and caching for the day. Seems like having numerous caches might be good for the parks. Hmmm.

NY State parks have all sorts of rules like it hasta be moved every 2 years so theres no environmental problems and its gotta be registered with a special sticker and any one owner can only have up to five caches in a single park. Id jsut try and find a nearby public prak-its a lot less hassel

I never heard of the $10 fee to place a cache in a State Park before. There is a permit that you have to fill out and have the park manager sign. Once he/she has approved the cache, they issue a sticker to be placed on the cache container. It's a fairly simple process.

I will check to see if the regulations have changed, but to my knowledge, the permit application should still be free. If I find out differently, I will post an update.

Naaa....they wanna sell the parks to developers, so they can build mini mansions.
Funny you would say that. :(

Up here in Quebec, we had been in negociation with the Bromont park

where they still had not decided wether or not they were going to allow caches.

Well, last week, or beloved premier shuffled his cabinet to change

the enviromnent minister to a puppet of his whose first decision

was to authorize the premier's friends to buy the land from the

government so they could build condos. <_<

Apparently, caches might be a threat to the environment, but bulldozers are not. :(

Edited by blackjack65

I emailed one of the Park Administrators to see if the policy had changed, and he was not aware of a fee for the geocaching permits either. He did mention that other park permits were $10, so perhaps the park manager was just not very familiar with the policy. He also suggested that we contact the regional park manager to see if it is a policy for the region.

It's all a big conspiracy. They want to charge us all to death so that eventually we'll give up and never come into the parks again and they can be reclaimed by nature. :rolleyes:

Naaa....they wanna sell the parks to developers, so they can build mini mansions.

It all depends on who you are talking to - the developers, or the environmentalists. :huh:

I emailed one of the Park Administrators to see if the policy had changed, and he was not aware of a fee for the geocaching permits either. He did mention that other park permits were $10, so perhaps the park manager was just not very familiar with the policy. He also suggested that we contact the regional park manager to see if it is a policy for the region.

I recently submitted a permit application and there was no mention of a fee. My guess is that an uninformed park employee heard the word permit and just assumed it was like any other permit where they charge $10. The permit process is fairly simple except in my region it takes 2 months to actually get the permit. Since this policy has been implemented there have been very few caches hidden on State Parklands on Long Island (like 3). So there's less cachers and more illegal ATV users. Makes a lot of sense.

Edited by JMBella

I spoke this morning with the park manager at Glimmerglass in regards to the geocaching permit. The New York State Office of Parks Recreation and Historic Preservation, the office that governs New York State parks, has recently developed permits for numerous activities within the park system. The largest share of those permits are $10.00 for a 12 month period.

The young lady Luckess had spoken with was of the understanding the geocaching permits were one of the recent $10.00 permits which it is not. After speaking with the park manager he assures me there is no charge for a geocaching permit in Glimmerglass or any other New York State park. He also added that’s not to say there won’t be in the future but that would be dictated by Albany and would be state wide.

Luckless, you should visit your prospective cache site and take the coordinates. Then print the permit JMBella linked to above (fits best on 14 inch paper) and fill it out with all the required information. Please read the permit carefully as all the rules and instructions are included. Take the permit and a park map indicating the approximate position of your proposed cache site to the park office or mail to Glimmerglass State Park, 1527 County Highway 31, Cooperstown, NY 13326. After the permit has been approved and signed by the park manager you may then return to the site and place the cache.

When the permit is approved by the park manager he will assign it a number and expiration date. To help speed your cache submission through the review process please indicate the permit number and expiration date on both the cache page and a note to reviewer.