New Cache Restrictions

Team Cinnamon

I live near Grand Rapids, MI. Yesterday, on the local news, it was pointed out that new restrictions are now in place here in Kent County relative to the placement and maintenance of GPS Caches. Some on my initial dismay is vented towards the requirement of moving a cache at least 500 Ft. each year, cannot be attached to a living tree, must be within 20 feet of an existing, official, trail, etc. etc. Is this something new that I've not been keeping up with? Is this a sign of things to come? Soon a fee will need to be paid before a person can carry a GPSr in any County/State/Federal park. For anyone who wishes to read more of the restrictions, here is the link.

http://www.accesskent.com/CultureLeisureAn.../geocaching.htm

Any comments pro or con would be interesting.

Now its not that bad, i don't agree with the moving the cache 500ft after one year, but i do understand the reasoning behind it, it to reduce any harm that may happen in the small area that the cache is hiding at,

But what you said having a fee for carrying a gpsr, thats going way to far! but i know you were just making a joke,

A lot of what they listed sound almost the same as whats in the GC.com rules for placing a cache, and a lot of it is common sense.. and just what a lot of parks would like, they just want to put it in to words is all and make it known!

a thread discussing this topic was started a few days ago on the MiGO site.

Rules, Rules, Rules --- The price of progress?

some linkage from that thread:

Kent county-

Ottawa county-

http://www.miottawa.org/ParksVI/Parks/plan/appendix.pdf

(Appendix K- sorry this is a big PDF file)

West Michigan Land Conservacy-

http://www.naturenearby.org/news/Geocaching.pdf

Weapons, and any substances or things that are illegal, hazardous, alcoholic, inflammable, threatening, sexually explicit, profane, discriminatory, or gambling-related are not allowed in any cache.

Hmm... no fireproof swag? Wait... That means Geocoins can't be placed in caches in Kent County parks. :rolleyes:

Edited by Lil Elephants
Weapons, and any substances or things that are illegal, hazardous, alcoholic, inflammable, threatening, sexually explicit, profane, discriminatory, or gambling-related are not allowed in any cache.

Hmm... no fireproof swag? Wait... That means Geocoins can't be placed in caches in Kent County parks. :rolleyes:

Isn't English just a GRAND language???

in·flam·ma·ble ( P ) Pronunciation Key (n-flm-bl)

adj.

Easily ignited and capable of burning rapidly; flammable. See Usage Note at flammable.

Quickly or easily aroused to strong emotion; excitable.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[Middle English, liable to inflammation, from Medieval Latin nflammbilis, from Latin nflammre, to inflame. See inflame.]

Isn't English just a GRAND language???

in·flam·ma·ble ( P ) Pronunciation Key (n-flm-bl)

adj.

Easily ignited and capable of burning rapidly; flammable. See Usage Note at flammable.

Quickly or easily aroused to strong emotion; excitable.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[Middle English, liable to inflammation, from Medieval Latin nflammbilis, from Latin nflammre, to inflame. See inflame.]

I stand corrected.

Now its not that bad, i don't agree with the moving the cache 500ft after one year, but i do understand the reasoning behind it, it to reduce any harm that may happen in the small area that the cache is hiding at

Indiana has a similar rule. Apart from the obvious environmental concern, it can be construed as an advertising gimmick. Imagine having to come year after year to look for new caches while saving the cache hider the cost of getting a new container! Awfully clever. B)B)B)

But what you said having a fee for carrying a gpsr, thats going way to far! but i know you were just making a joke,

Next thing you know, people will have to pay a fee to bring in radios, television sets, radar detectors, cell phones, and even atomic clocks and tooth fillings! While is seems unlikely, if rules are ever passed for carrying a GPSr, you bet that I'll be pressing for similar restrictions on other radio receivers as well. :) Just my several pence.

Edited by S Keillan

Recently the Toledo/Lucas County Metrppark system has been meeting with caches to discuss similiar rules. The one that stuck out to me was you needed to get a permit ot hide in the park and they must be within 30 ft of the trail. With all the caches already in the parks there is limited availability anyways. It is just another one of many governmental controls. I am unsure of what the final decision came to be. If anyone knows let me know.

I live near Grand Rapids, MI. Yesterday, on the local news, it was pointed out that new restrictions are now in place here in Kent County relative to the placement and maintenance of GPS Caches. Some on my initial dismay is vented towards the requirement of moving a cache at least 500 Ft. each year, cannot be attached to a living tree, must be within 20 feet of an existing, official, trail, etc. etc. Is this something new that I've not been keeping up with? Is this a sign of things to come? Soon a fee will need to be paid before a person can carry a GPSr in any County/State/Federal park. For anyone who wishes to read more of the restrictions, here is the link.

Maybe they have the wrong idea about what Geocaching is really about. I would hope they would have checked into it before making laws, but then again..... this is goverment at its best I guess. I am new at Geocaching, and I always go wiht my kids. They love it!! What a great thing for families to do together. Our society has slowly gotten away from family time together. THis type of thing can strenthen our communities. How cna you put a law on that?? It's sad!!

Isn't the purpose of a tax payer funded park to support and provide a place of recreation? Apparently paranoid park boards are selective in the types of recreation they support. I can't imagine any drastic damage that has occured as a result of geocaching. Sure, there is probably a story here or there about something but, as a whole, I've got to believe it's fairly invisible and harmless to all but those who choose to participate.

Maybe they have the wrong idea about what Geocaching is really about. I would hope they would have checked into it before making laws, but then again..... this is goverment at its best I guess. I am new at Geocaching, and I always go wiht my kids. They love it!! What a great thing for families to do together. Our society has slowly gotten away from family time together. THis type of thing can strenthen our communities. How cna you put a law on that?? It's sad!!

Isn't the purpose of a tax payer funded park to support and provide a place of recreation? Apparently paranoid park boards are selective in the types of recreation they support. I can't imagine any drastic damage that has occured as a result of geocaching. Sure, there is probably a story here or there about something but, as a whole, I've got to believe it's fairly invisible and harmless to all but those who choose to participate.

No.

Go to your local park office and ask to see a copy of their "Mission Statement" or whatever they choose to call it. For most park systems, and I'm not talking about your neighborhood "playground and picnic area", their purpose is threefold: To provide recreation, to protect the environment, and to educate people on nature and the environment. Geocaching is a recreation, so is mountain biking, and motocross, and four-wheeling.

~Moving the cache after a year makes perfect sense. I've seen numerous examples of trails formed leading to a cache. Plus it makes sure that the cache owner is getting out there to look at his cache and it gives the finders a new cache to search for.

~Why would you want to attach a cache to a living tree anyway?

~A number of parks have rules against going off-trail under any circumstances. The fact that the park allows a cache to be placed off-trail is actually a point in favor of geocaching. I found just such a cache a few months ago. One of the posted park rules was that you had to stay on the trail, but the park allowed a cache to be hidden about 40 feet off the trail.