1gig Transflash/microsd Cards On Preorder

I ended up placing an order through outpost. I have never had any issues with them and on a couple other preorders they delivered the item before it was schedulded to be due. So I hope this item comes in quickly!

**edit** Oh and as for most preorders they have a limit. If outpost reaches that limit I would recommend going with Amazon as they are reputable and usually offer free standard shipping with orders over 25 bucks.

Edited by mlk3454

If, by the term "FULLY", you mean loading 2,026 map segments or more, then the answer is NO.

Changes made from version 2.50 to 2.60:

° Increase loadable maps to 2025

There is still a limit of 2,025 map segments.

Garmin's Topo East (100k) maps contain over 2,500 segments alone, but will only use about 650MB of space.

Edited by Neo_Geo

Here is an image of what you would see on a Transflash card, after you take it out of the GPS, and put it into an adaptor:

The64mbmicroSDmemorycard.jpg

The 64 meg Transflash card had 2 compressed files on it

gmapsupp.img

poi.gpi

The POI file is highly compressed, and cannot be edited.

Edited by GOT GPS?

Also just went to buy a higher capacity microsd and saw the pre-order on amazon for the 1gig card.

If I understand right:

- The X series will take them

- You may not be able to use the full card capacity due to segment limitations

Is that right? I think I'm going to pop for the 1 gig and tough it out with my 64 for another month or so if that's the case.

The 2,025 segment limitation is a problem if you're gonna load all Topo maps or WorldMap maps. If you load a lot of City Select or City Navigator maps, then space would be the issue rather than segment numbers. By my calculations, if the map segments average 500kB or less each, then the segment numbers limitation will be an issue. City Select v5 segments average about 1.3MB each.

I believe there was something like 1,050 segment limitation before the firmware update. With that, even City Select would've had problems with the limitation.

Edited by Neo_Geo

mik, from what I know the card stores only the maps. Everything else is stored somewhere else in the unit.

The card stores maps as well as custom POIs. Waypoints, Routes and tracks are stored internally.

Now this is weird. Why not letting us store routes and tracks as well into the card? <puzzled>

I posted this in a couple of other threads, and I figured maybe I should post it in this one as well:

Apparently there IS a limitation of maximum capacity in MapSource. As Lignumaqua learned the hard way, he was only able to send 256MB directly to his unit. If he tried to send any more than that, MapSource would just hang while erasing the old map set. CLICK HERE to read thread...

I was able to send 400MB to my 512MB card. I suspect that I was able to do that because I have the latest MapSource update (6.10.2 as of March 17, 2006) installed.

======

Change so that MapSource is compatible with 512 MB Garmin data cards when the card is in the unit and data is transferred to the unit (via USB or serial). The 512 MB Garmin data cards are not currently compatible with the USB data card programmer.

Lignumaqua got around the issue by loading the maps via a USB card reader/writer which apparently also cut's the map upload time by 80%!

From Peter in one of the other threads:

Change so that MapSource is compatible with 512 MB Garmin data cards when the card is in the unit and data is transferred to the unit (via USB or serial). The 512 MB Garmin data cards are not currently compatible with the USB data card programmer.

This was a separate issue with MapSource that has nothing to do with the microSD cards. The change refers to the proprietary Garmin Data Cards used in the older Street Pilots and models like the 276. Garmin came out with a larger 512 MB version of these but there were some compatibility issues with MapSource that were addressed with this release.

As to the microSD card sizes, I've heard a few isolated cases of people, like Lignumaqua, who had problems, but others aren't seeing such issues.

That's exactly what I thought at first, but when Lignumaqua mentioned he had a 256MB limit with his TransFlash, then I thought it must be 256MB limit for all cards... :D

Hook up your card reader with a card inserted, and MapSource will find it. I already have the full gambit of data on my card - maps, custom POIs and tracks, so MapSource even found the proper folder and everything. I can't say what would happen if you started with a blank card. I imagine it would create the proper file/folder structure.

Once you send the data to your card, it will only work in units that the data has been unlocked to. You could take your card and put it in your unit and it'd work fine. If you let me borrow your card, and I put it in my unit, then I'd get a "cannot unlock maps" error on the GPSr.

A local Seattle area retailer (Fry's in Renton) is advertising a SanDisk 1G Micro SD card for $39 ($59 - $20 rebate). Looks like the market will be pushing the price down for these now.

I just checked with Fry's and they had the miniSD not the microSD on sale.

Before you buy check.

The miniSD 1GB is now $26.50 after rebate. I'm going to tell my son, he uses them in his phone.

Outpost just emailed me on my 1GB micro sd order and says they're on back order and dont know when they will have them. I cancelled and ordered one off ebay for 67bucks delivered

A local Seattle area retailer (Fry's in Renton) is advertising a SanDisk 1G Micro SD card for $39 ($59 - $20 rebate). Looks like the market will be pushing the price down for these now.

I just checked with Fry's and they had the miniSD not the microSD on sale.

Before you buy check.

The miniSD 1GB is now $26.50 after rebate. I'm going to tell my son, he uses them in his phone.

I'm still waiting on ebay "fastmemoryman" to ship mine..purchased last thursday and they say they ship same day as payment??? Only been 3 business days so no worries. Funny, this guy ships from ohio and I'm in Indiana but still get charged like 15 british pounds (like 25 bucks shipping). Sounds like he's scamming ebay for shipping. Anyway, the final price was in line so I bought.

Hope it gets here soon.

is ebay shipping now? They have them in stock?

I'm still waiting on ebay "fastmemoryman" to ship mine..purchased last thursday and they say they ship same day as payment??? Only been 3 business days so no worries. Funny, this guy ships from ohio and I'm in Indiana but still get charged like 15 british pounds (like 25 bucks shipping). Sounds like he's scamming ebay for shipping. Anyway, the final price was in line so I bought.

Hope it gets here soon.

Just received mine from Ebay (TSystemonline). Loaded 950 mb of maps via card reader then to my Cx60. Works perfectly!

I lookd for your auction and cant find it..was wondering how good of feedback TSystemonline

has/had? For some reason I find no auctions for TSystemonline. Can you give me a link to your auction.

Hope it gets here soon.

Just received mine from Ebay (TSystemonline). Loaded 950 mb of maps via card reader then to my Cx60. Works perfectly!

TSystemonline seems to be charging a lot for shipping too don't you think?

I have a 1 gig MicroSD on pre-order from Amazon... they are not saying when they are going to ship yet, but if others are shipping them out I am hoping that it can not be too far away..

Has anybody else done a pre-order someplace and gotten theirs?

Shipping charges should always be added to your final bid to arrive at your "bottom line" price. It IS a sneaky tactic to squeeze out a few extra dollars from an unsuspecting new-comer to eBay, but they shipping cost is right there in black-and-white in that listing.

Sometimes that tactic actually backfires - a lot of people simply ignore listings with high shipping prices, and then the product ends up going for a low bid making the entire bottom line cost lower than listings with "fair and balanced" shipping charges.

I have a 1 gig MicroSD on pre-order from Amazon... they are not saying when they are going to ship yet, but if others are shipping them out I am hoping that it can not be too far away..

Has anybody else done a pre-order someplace and gotten theirs?

I just put a 1 gig on order at Amazon today, and my conformation email said the expected ship date was May 30. Needless to say I'm hoping for sooner than that. I also ordered a 5-in-1 card reader direct from Sandisk, and they came back and said 4-6 weeks for that! Just can't win! :lol:

Rick

Edited by rstickle

Okay.... called Outpost... they said nope it is still backordered... so I asked if I should cancel that order and order off the website again where it says that it is available... she says "that might work, would you like me to cancel this order" ... I say ok... then AFTER (my mistake) I ask if she is SURE that this will get me my order the fastest... "well sir, I've already cancelled the order so there isn't another option"

I'll _NEVER_ order from Outpost again. HOPEFULLY I get my 1GB microSD card from them tomorrow.

I just called them myself as I pre-ordered one from them too. The guy I talked to said, "Yeah - looks like they just came in today. Your item should go out today."

If it takes 'em a day or two, ain't no big thing to me! I think my original estimated ship date was April 2nd or 3rd when I placed the order. Then they sent a letter on March 15th saying that they hoped to fulfill the order within 30 days. I was expecting to have to wait another two to four weeks! So if it takes 'em a couple of days to unpack 'em and get 'em into inventory or whatever they gotta do, then I'm still gonna come out waaaay ahead! :lol:

Yeap... I'm only upset because of the Customer Service Rep who wasn't giving me good advice as to how to make sure I got my order the quickest. Hopefully it still arrives tomorrow and I'm not out of luck from them cancelling my March 10th pre-order.

I lookd for your auction and cant find it..was wondering how good of feedback TSystemonline

has/had? For some reason I find no auctions for TSystemonline. Can you give me a link to your auction.

Hope it gets here soon.

Here is the link:http://cgi.ebay.com/New-SanDisk-1-GB-TransFlash-microSD-Card-1GB-T-Flash_W0QQitemZ5878931615QQcategoryZ118260QQtcZphotoQQcmdZViewItem

I used the best offer. Shipping took about one week

I bought from "fastmemoryguy"...looks like a big mistake. His NEGs are mounting aothough he has many positives.

I've not seen my chip for 6 days and they say they ship as soon as payment is made. Also, no response to my two emails so far.

Now it loooks like there are those who have them in stock and are shipping them (the reason I went with fast memory man and cancled outpost).

That always happens to me when I switch lines at the grocery too..LOL..

Just tracked my shipment with DHL/Airborne Express ... will be here in the next couple of hours! Wooooooot! A week earlier than I was expecting. :( Still hate that they cancelled my order... better be glad I'm still getting it or I'd be REALLY pissed at OUTPOST. :unsure: But yay! Lots of maps to carry with me now!

I actually had to take my significant other to the doctor this morning, she's all done now and my afternoon at work was just sitting at an All Hands event and Beer Bash, so I'm just watching the webcast and waiting for my 1GB card to show up! :D

Ug, wish I was using my game computer for GPS stuff instead of my bill paying computer. :D I'm sure the 3.4Ghz Extreme Edition CPU would be a LOT faster than the old P4 1.8Ghz.

Anyway, I'm waiting for 30 minutes while it builds the maps. Using a card reader, just selected the target device as the H:\ drive. Selected all of the East Coast Topo maps first. Will add in California, Texas, Washington, Colorado after this as those about the only likely place I'll be anytime soon for the west maps. All of east coast was 658MB.

Woooooot!

Ug, then 10 minutes to transfer them to the flash card. :D Maybe I'm not loading anything other than east coast. I'll just wait till I pick up the next version of City Navigator when it comes out to use the rest of the space with.

Edited by jaym

Got it this morning. Loaded 950MB of CitySelect/Topo/Tides for all of Eastern Canada, the entire east coast of the US as far west as Detroit (had to leave a little room for tracks and POI). Tried out a route from Halifax, Nova Scotia to Miami. Now using my 512MB in my phone. Life is wonderful.