Easygps Vs Geocaching.com Co-ordinates

Okay, I need some help- again! I am new to geocaching and am confused. I am using (or trying to!) EasyGPS program to d/l waypoints. I click on download waypoints in Geocaching.com and select open with EasyGPS. The co-ordinates get loaded into EasyGPS. However, the co-ordinates are TOTALLY different. For instance, I d/led a cache with co-ordinates

N30 24.138, W086 36.477 from Geocaching.com. What appears in EasyGPS is N30 24 08.3, W086 36 28.6!

EasyGPS Tech Support said I had the co-ordinate format set wrong in EasyGPS, but I tried both DD DDDDD and DDD MM SS.S format- it still showed the wrong co-ordinates in EasyGPS! My question is: which one should I be using for geocaching? I'm in NW Fla if it makes a difference.

This geocaching thing is getting very frustrating! Would appreciate any help!!

For instance, I d/led a cache with co-ordinates

N30 24.138, W086 36.477 from Geocaching.com. What appears in EasyGPS is N30 24 08.3, W086 36 28.6!

EasyGPS Tech Support said I had the co-ordinate format set wrong in EasyGPS, but I tried both DD DDDDD and DDD MM SS.S format- it still showed the wrong co-ordinates in EasyGPS! My question is: which one should I be using for geocaching? I'm in NW Fla if it makes a difference.

The coordinates you show above from EasyGPS are in the degrees/minutes/seconds format (HDDD° MM' SS.s"), whereas what you entered and what the GC site uses is degrees/minutes (HDDD° MM.mmm'). You should be able to switch EasyGPS to also use the degrees/minutes format so it would be consistent with this site.

It seems to me that easy gps will without any modification to preferences or anything else, download the loc or gpx file from gc.com open it in easygps, transfer to gps. And go find it. The coords may or may not be different when viewed in the easygps screen but should transfer to gps in the correct format.

I think you will find it will work fine.

Thanks,

kg.

It seems to me that easy gps will without any modification to preferences or anything else, download the loc or gpx file from gc.com open it in easygps, transfer to gps. And go find it. The coords may or may not be different when viewed in the easygps screen but should transfer to gps in the correct format.

I think you will find it will work fine.

Thanks,

kg.

It doesn't matter what anything is set to - everything gets translated fine. I opened a geocaching.loc file in EasyGPS with it set to decimal degrees (ddd.ddddd), and then sent it to my GPSr which was set for DMS (ddd mm' ss.s"). Then I changed my GPSr to Degrees with decimal minutes (ddd mm.mmm') and sent the waypoint to MapSource which showed the proper coordinates.

CLICK HERE to learn more about position format.