Benchmark Sites

I'm trying to find any sites for looking up benchmark information. We found one at almost 5000' in the mountains near Eagle River in Alaska. We'd like to add it to the lists, but we didn't have our gps to take a reading when we found it. We have a very good photo though and would like to look it up to see if we can find the coords. Any ideas?

I'm trying to find any sites for looking up benchmark information. We found one at almost 5000' in the mountains near Eagle River in Alaska. We'd like to add it to the lists, but we didn't have our gps to take a reading when we found it. We have a very good photo though and would like to look it up to see if we can find the coords. Any ideas?

Can you approximate the coordinates using a mapping program? This will help.

Also, each benchmark should have an identifier stamped on it. If you can make it out in the picture, check www.ngs.noaa.gov to look it up by that identifier. If you email me the picture (lsumonica@gmail.com) I can help.

Also remember that the Waymarking benchmarks are for those not found in the BENCHMARKS section of geocaching.com. The benchmark may be in that database ready for you to post a "found it" log and the picture.

Maybe this thread should be moved to the Benchmarking forum? We'd be glad to help out over there!

Can you approximate the coordinates using a mapping program? This will help.

Also, each benchmark should have an identifier stamped on it. If you can make it out in the picture, check www.ngs.noaa.gov to look it up by that identifier. If you email me the picture (lsumonica@gmail.com) I can help.

Also remember that the Waymarking benchmarks are for those not found in the BENCHMARKS section of geocaching.com. The benchmark may be in that database ready for you to post a "found it" log and the picture.

I did not know that! I thought benchmarks were now located on Waymarking.com according to all the hubbub on the forums. I'll go check, thanks - Hound