Cost To Unlock Mapsource A Third Time?

My husband and I each have Garmin 60Cs and used both of the unlock codes in our City Select software for them. Now I'm drooling over the new 60CSx, but it's going to take some financial finagling and the last thing I want to do is pay again for maps I already bought. :anicute: Garmin says I need to buy another unlock code anyway, and they aren't telling me how much it will cost.

Anybody that has had to do this, how much did they charge you?

Thanks! :wub:

Hi,

A couple of weeks ago someone posted about actually deactvitaing a code through garmin, therefore freeing it up for a new unit. I did a quick search with no luck.

What I'm hoping is that the person who posted the method will see this thread. Good luck!

Randy

Hi,

A couple of weeks ago someone posted about actually deactvitaing a code through garmin, therefore freeing it up for a new unit. I did a quick search with no luck.

What I'm hoping is that the person who posted the method will see this thread. Good luck!

Randy

I think this in one of those situations that Garmin does not have a stated policy on, but if you call them they will work with you.

Hi,

Randy

It would take talking to Garmin. The unlock code is associated with your specific gps so they would have to Un-associate it to use it on another GPS. They might do it, they might not.

and $75 per unlock code sounds about right.

If you have a CS version older than 7 then you could get the upgrade to version 7 for $50 per Garmin website. I am certain that from this you would be able to unlock your primary 60CS plus one other unit which could be your new 60CSX. Your second 60CS would continue to be unlocked for the older CS but would not for version 7.

If you already have the latest CS then I agree that calling Garmin is wise. They have a reputation of being quite accomodating in special cases like this.

Cheers, Olar

If you have a CS version older than 7 then you could get the upgrade to version 7 for $50 per Garmin website. I am certain that from this you would be able to unlock your primary 60CS plus one other unit which could be your new 60CSX. Your second 60CS would continue to be unlocked for the older CS but would not for version 7.

If you already have the latest CS then I agree that calling Garmin is wise. They have a reputation of being quite accomodating in special cases like this.

Cheers, Olar

hmmm I'm not so sure the CS upgrade offer new unlock codes. At least not when I upgraded.

Nothing wrong with upgrading of course.

Cheers, Olar

hmmm I'm not so sure the CS upgrade offer new unlock codes. At least not when I upgraded.

I originally got my City Select with my GPS V; since then I've gone through a 60C and a 60CSx; Garmin would not allow me to deactivate the GPS V, even though I no longer use it - so when I upgraded to City Select 7, I was able to unlock it for the GPS V - which is sitting in a drawer, and the 60CSx. The 60C is unlocked for City Select 6, the old version. I asked Garmin if there was a way to deactivate the GPS V so I could use City Select 7 on the 60C and the 60CSx, and was told no, the only way to do that would be to buy a new unlock code, for around $115.

John Stork

My husband and I each have Garmin 60Cs and used both of the unlock codes in our City Select software for them. Now I'm drooling over the new 60CSx, but it's going to take some financial finagling and the last thing I want to do is pay again for maps I already bought. :anicute: Garmin says I need to buy another unlock code anyway, and they aren't telling me how much it will cost.

Anybody that has had to do this, how much did they charge you?

Thanks! :wub:

I hope you can find a package that will include the map software. Also I hope to see you and your new 60CSx at the Expert Site in the GPS Accuracy Game at the Spring Fling next month. Dick

Cheers, Olar

I originally got my City Select with my GPS V; since then I've gone through a 60C and a 60CSx; Garmin would not allow me to deactivate the GPS V, even though I no longer use it - so when I upgraded to City Select 7, I was able to unlock it for the GPS V - which is sitting in a drawer, and the 60CSx. The 60C is unlocked for City Select 6, the old version. I asked Garmin if there was a way to deactivate the GPS V so I could use City Select 7 on the 60C and the 60CSx, and was told no, the only way to do that would be to buy a new unlock code, for around $115.

John Stork

Ok, interesting. Like I said I wasn't sure. I would like to pindown Garmin on the issue.

I see that somebody really does read these threads. Yes I did get Garmin to eliminate my GPS 18 code in CS 6.0. I was told by a Garmin Tech that as long as installed my two 60 CSX and not use my GPS 18 when I installed the CS for the first time that I would be able to use the two unlock codes for the 2 CSX. This was not the case when I installed CS 6.0. I only had one unlock code left so I called Garmin and the tech I talked to the second time had to verify that the first tech told me I could use the two codes for the 60 Csxs. They deleated the gps 18 in there mainframe and manually installed my second 60 Csx unit serial number. Much to my surprise my GPS 18 still works with the CS 6 but not with CS 7. The CS upgrade does not come with unlock codes. It uses the unlock codes from the 6.0 since the 7.0 is just an upgrade.

I did ask about purchasing another unlock code and I was told it would be about $140.00 or the full price of CS 7. I do have a friend who had an Ique, 76 cs and an etrex. Then he bought a 60 csx and sold his 76 cs and Ique. He talked with garmin and they did issue him one more code for one unit. The Ique was eliminated but the 76 cs still was fully unlocked with CS 7 even thou he doesn't own it anymore. The map and code goes with the unit.

The moral of the story is that it can be done. It just depends on the garmin tech and how much leeway the tech feels he or she has.

The Tech I talked to name was Karvette. But like I stated, she had to verify the situation I was in and told.

Good luck. I hope Garmin helps you. They have been pretty good with me so far.

Edited by Fred Flintstone

In Fred's case a garmin tech made an error and that's why they're helping him in this way. Garmin will not migrate an unlock from one gps to another without a very good reason to do so - and customer satisfaction doesn't seem to be a good enough reason.

Bluechart is worse than City Select or Navigator. You get two unlocks for an extremely small segment of planet earth and if you buy your third chartplotter, yup, you're buying it again and it's not cheap - same or higher than CS or CN.

This is not to say that Garmin is worse than anyone else - they are not, and in my opinion are better than most.

If the raw data for CS/CN and Bluechart were actually Garmin's, and if they weren't publicly-traded and accordingly driven to show ever-increasing revenues I'm sure they would be much more accomodating to us. But they are - so I guess we have to "deal with it".

Flame - suit - on...?

Edited by Vlad

If the raw data for CS/CN and Bluechart were actually Garmin's, and if they weren't publicly-traded and accordingly driven to show ever-increasing revenues I'm sure they would be much more accomodating to us.

I agree and note that Garmin does not put these 'lock code' restrictions on the map data they get from other sources such as the USGS data used in the topo maps and the TIGER data used in the old Roads&Rec maps. The lock codes are used on the routable maps from NavTeq and the marine charts so it appears the restrictions are based on agreements Garmin has with those data suppliers.