To Coin Designers: Please Make Bigger Tracking Numbers!

kelly@9

After having received quite a few coins recently where the tracking numbers are barely readable, I'd like to submit a plea to the folks designing coins to please, please make the tracking numbers bigger so they are easy to read! I know you probably want to minimize the encroachment of the blank space for the numbers into your wonderful coin design, but the tracking numbers are important! :D

I have to agree with this the worst Tracking Number to read is the Selective Availability Turned Off Coin. I have seen an new coin recently posted that has a very tiny number. It is the new Serenity Geocoin which you would need a magnifying glass to read the tracking number according to the artist rendering. I think Groundspeak need to require that tracking numbers on Geocoins needs to be a certain size before they get approved.

Edited by sawblade5

I think Groundspeak need to require that tracking numbers on Geocoins needs to be a certain size before they get approved.

I would hate to see this restriction. I would rather see folks use enamel fills to make the lettering more visible.

:o Actually, it's not up to us coin designers...

The final say so on the tracking number size is gonna be you the cachers that we are designing the coins for. :laughing:

But as a coin buyer, I'd have to agree with you.

I have recieved several in the past few weeks that I had trouble reading the number.

And I have VERY GOOD eyesight.

D-man :lol:

Ask, and ye shall receive...

Behold, the "Quit Squinting" Geocoin.

largecodecoin.jpg

This coin (shown at 1/3 it's actual size) will be the world's first geocoin designed for the sight impaired. All proceeds will go towards obtaining fashionable bifocals for kelly@9, Blind Avocado, Blind Acorn, and anyone else who has trouble reading small etched tracking codes. I'd normally spring for it to have it's own icon, but 32 pixels is too small to see, so it defeats the purpose.

Call 1-866-DUH-YIME. Operators certified with 20/20 vision are standing by, so order yours today!

:laughing:

Ask, and ye shall receive...

Behold, the "Quit Squinting" Geocoin.

This coin (shown at 1/3 it's actual size) will be the world's first geocoin designed for the sight impaired. All proceeds will go towards obtaining fashionable bifocals for kelly@9, Blind Avocado, Blind Acorn, and anyone else who has trouble reading small etched tracking codes. I'd normally spring for it to have it's own icon, but 32 pixels is too small to see, so it defeats the purpose.

Call 1-866-DUH-YIME. Operators certified with 20/20 vision are standing by, so order yours today!

:laughing:

Nice coin, but it wouldn't get approved.

"Designs must be family friendly and may not include modified versions of the geocaching.com logo." :lol::o

Are you gonna really make that coin, if so I might want to get in on it. But you should make it the normal size not Mega MIGO size.

Actually, they'll need to remain very large in order to accomodate the visually challenged.

In fact, this will be an entirely new product I'm calling GEOPLATES!!! Geoplates have many, many uses:

They're great for event caches! You can conveniently carry around your hot dog or hamburger, or set down your beverage like it's a coaster with no mess!

If you get lost in the woods for a day or two, you can use the ultra shiny surface to reflect sunlight and signal helicopters that are searching for you!

No more soggy shoes! You'll keep your feet nice and dry when crossing streams because geoplates double as stepping stones!

All these practical uses in one convenient item...and it's TRACKABLE!

Call now, don't delay, only two installments of $29.99 each. Act now, and we'll throw in a GEOHUBCAB!

In fact, this will be an entirely new product I'm calling GEOPLATES!!! Geoplates have many, many uses:

That gives me an idea... there are a few shops around my parts that allow you to paint your own pottery. >:} It'd be expensive and time-consuming to create 500 geo-plates (the minimum for trackability and iconage), but maybe for the next holiday party in my area I could create a TB plate to pass around.

I could actually see myself getting one if it was normal size. Just for the pure comedy of it. Besides, I have found myself aggravated at the numbers as well. My main problem with them is the fact that they are often the same color as the area around them, so you have to angle them just right to see the etching.

When Joani and I were designing the Calif Micro geocoin art, we made sure make that tracking number as big as possible (it is probably bigger than some of the full sized coin designs!). Hopefully it will be easy to read with the black color fill on gold.

--Marky - K6FTF