New Gamin Products!

jcc123

I can get a CD with the US for about $100 and probably load a bigger area than they are going to sell me for about $86. I guess I'm wondering why I'd buy a preload?

I'd guess that this will only appeal to the part of the market that really doesn't want to mess around with computer connections and installing software.

I certainly prefer the flexibility of putting whatever maps I want on a single card. Typically that involves a mix of streetmaps and topos. And I'm sure that right after buying a particular region I'd find myself with an opportunity to go hiking somewhere else in the country.

Another reason for using preloaded map on the SD memory, is that you can add an digital signature to the SD chip, and make it imposible to copy. As long as you have an valid key, you can copy CN, MG and Bluchart, but SD maps are locked to that one chip

More information in the PressRoom.

Also microSD cards preloaded with topo maps.

When I was looking at a Lowrance product the salesperson said that the reason they sold preloaded chips was because some people didn't want to have to deal with a computer. The pre-loaded chips cost a lot more money than buying the chip and software separately. By the fact that anybody reading this must first have a computer and must have some knowledge of how to use it, I would guess that the pre-loaded chips are meant for other people. In other words, it's nothing to get excited about unless you own shares in Garmin.

In other words, it's nothing to get excited about unless you own shares in Garmin.

It may also be something to get excited about in a less positive way if you were hoping for future map updates to start covering additional areas as NavTeq expands their database.

The CitySelect/Navigator-Europe maps have to date only covered Western Europe (and not even all of it) despite the more inclusive name. So for the last few releases there has been some hope that countries in Eastern Europe would eventually be included. Release 8 was just released last week and rather disappointingly had very little new coverage. Then today Garmin and NavTeq announced a new series of maps for many Eastern European countries to be available on preloaded SD and microSD cards:

"The enhanced coverage will be available [in] formats that include

pre-programmed accessory SD or microSD cards, or pre-loaded in selected

StreetPilotR and nüviT personal navigation devices (PNDs). The enhanced

cartography is expected to be available in March 2006."

At least it gives additional options for users of the GPS receivers that use such cards, albeit for significantly more $$. But unless they offer a CDROM/DVD version as well it leaves owners of their other receiver models without any means of using these maps.

A similar situation exists for the recently announced Garmin maps of Malaysia/Singapore.