Wheelchair Accessible Series

FollowMeChaps

I am planning to set a series of wheelchair accessible caches along a dissused railway line which is now a footpath/cycleway. I would like to place 5 caches along a 1.5 mile stretch which offers great access and an interesting rural location. I appreciate that they will be relatively close together but as there are not may wheelchair accesssible caches in the UK I thought that it would give a great opportunity for those with limited acces to knock off a few in a single trip.

1) Is this a good/acceptable idea?

2) Is it ok to mix real and virtual caches in the series to provide variety?

3) Is it ok to add them over a 3 or 4 week period or must I get them all ready before sending them for review?

Sorry there are a few questions but thes will be my first caches and I'd like to get it right.

I am planning to set a series of wheelchair accessible caches along a dissused railway line which is now a footpath/cycleway. I would like to place 5 caches along a 1.5 mile stretch which offers great access and an interesting rural location. I appreciate that they will be relatively close together but as there are not may wheelchair accesssible caches in the UK I thought that it would give a great opportunity for those with limited acces to knock off a few in a single trip.

1) Is this a good/acceptable idea?

2) Is it ok to mix real and virtual caches in the series to provide variety?

3) Is it ok to add them over a 3 or 4 week period or must I get them all ready before sending them for review?

Sorry there are a few questions but thes will be my first caches and I'd like to get it right.

1. Chances are, your local reviewer will view this as a series and not 5 seperate caches.

2. No new virtuals are being approved.

3. You can submit them whenever you wish, but I think that the reviewer will still view them as a multi cache and have you change that. Normally caches all placed that close together aren't considered series.

Hope thats helpful!

Very thoughtful of you.

I would suggest you contact your local reviewer directly.

He/She should be able to answer your questions.

Good Luck.

Thanks - but being relatively new I don't know how to do that?

If you check the caches hidden closest to you, the very first log on (at least some of) them should simply say "published". Whoever left that log is the reviewer for your area. Some cache owners will delete the published logs, so not all will have them. Also, start by checking the logs for newer caches (in case the reviewer changed in the past 3 years or whatever).

I would think that 5 caches spaced out over 1.5 miles would not need to be all stages of a multi. 0.3 miles between caches is plenty of distance, just make sure they're all at least .1 apart. :D And, I think that it's a great idea - good luck!

Try looking for the very first post on a local cache page.

You should find a note from the reviewer.

Something like "Published"

Click on the name of the reviewer.

That should open a profile for the reviewer.

You may have to look at a couple of cache pages as some people delete that log entry.

They beat me to it.

Edited by gof1

Thanks everyone - I'll take the advice and contact my reviewer now I know how to do it. Isn't this a helpful community?!

I'm a bit saddened if lindysychris is right there are to be no more virtuals. The more challenging of these can be great fun. They can also be generally more accessible for those with disabilities - handicapped for you lot stateside. It can be difficult/impossible to reach a hidden container from a wheelchair but, for example, reading a notice board and solving a puzzle/riddle is not.

Thanks everyone - I'll take the advice and contact my reviewer now I know how to do it. Isn't this a helpful community?!

I'm a bit saddened if lindysychris is right there are to be no more virtuals. The more challenging of these can be great fun. They can also be generally more accessible for those with disabilities - handicapped for you lot stateside. It can be difficult/impossible to reach a hidden container from a wheelchair but, for example, reading a notice board and solving a puzzle/riddle is not.

Virtuals are gone, but that's not to say that you can't use notice boards and puzzles. If you want to, you can have one (or more) of the five set up as puzzle caches, where first you go to point X and read this sign, and then you use the information to figure out where the cache is.

Another point - and this will likely get me in trouble with some of the "purist" cachers out there. As the cache owner, YOU have final say in what is or is not a find on your cache. You must provide a container with a logbook, so that cachers can find and sign the logbook. That was the deal when locationless and virtuals went away. But, there is nothing that says you cannot accept - "I found the sign, it said ___. It lead me to these coords _____. I saw the container - it was here _____. But, from my wheelchair I could not physically reach it to sign."

Yes, many cachers would still say no find. BUT, as the cache owner, you can decide to accept such a find. Because no matter your good intentions, caches will fall. They'll slowly move. They'll eventually reach a place where no one who is caching alone in a whellchair could reach them. You at that point have two options. A) Tell them tough luck - no sign no find. I replaced the cache where it should be, come back and try again. or :laughing: Tell them - I understand your situation, and if you'd like to claim that as a find, I am content with you doing so (and that you have gone back out and replaced the cache in its original location).

Alternatively, put the caches in bison containers (or other metal containers). And recommend that those with limited mobility bring along an extension magnet, in case the container has fallen out of reach. Not ideal, but a little better than plastic for reaching from a distance (those extendible claws just don't seem to work as well).

Many, many thanks Beffums. This is a great help - it gives me the incentive to get on with it having been slightly deflated last night thinking puzzles were a no-go. I'm already composing an email to my reviewer and I'll certainly point him to this thread.

I'm really overcome with the help and kindness shown by cachers on these forums. Nobody knows me, yet all seem to be going out of their way to help and advise. You're all brilliant!

Happy caching!

It is our pleasure.

Most of us have received plenty of help from others and this kinda helps balance the books.

You may also wish to check out Waymarking.com

I will probably take some flack for that, but it may be more disability friendly.