Finally Playing How I Want

As I approach 300 cache finds, I've started playing a new way: doing only the caches I want to do.

I know that sounds weird, but there was a time when I would find EVERYTHING around me, just to be a completist. But after finding so many weak micros, trash dump caches and other things I don't enjoy, I've decided to go after only the caches I think I'll really enjoy. I know some people enjoy all the micros, and I also know it could be argued that I may miss great caches that way, but really, that's the way I want to do it.

It's really liberating, actually: instead of griping about the poor quality of caches, I just plan better and have stopped being so numbers-oriented. I watch the logs and if people are just writing TNLNSL on the logs, then it's probably not good. If the log is nine miles long and talks about how great an adventure was had, that's probably my kind of cache.

All kinds of urban micros are popping up around me. The descriptions say terse things like "in parking lot look under bush." The hides are in coffee cans. And I feel fine about it because I'm IGNORING them.

I've discovered that my ideal cache is this:

1. In the woods. I just can't get excited about urban caches anymore.

2. Involves a hike.

3. Takes me to a very special scenic spot, or place of historical significance.

4. Is at least ammo can sized.

So those are the ones I'm hunting. It isn't that I think others should be abolished, or that Groundspeak should adopt a ratings system, or anything like that. It's just that after doing some biggies like Black Mesa Cache, I am no longer interested in anything that doesn't challenge me. I hope you are getting the same enjoyment out of the game as I am, playing it YOUR WAY.

Edited by Kiamichi Muskrat

Congrats on completing the 12-step program! I'm much the same way, I just go out to have fun and enjoy being with friends. If we don't want to do a particular cache, we skip it. If I don't feel right about searching in a particular spot, I skip it. Much like the forums, if there's a thread on a topic I don't find interesting, I don't read it, because I don't have to.

Everything's a lot more fun that way. When you start forcing yourself to do everything is when the game isn't as fun anymore.

:D

As I approach 300 cache finds, I've started playing a new way: doing only the caches I want to do.

Good for you! In general, I enjoy those types the best too. For *me*, a 3.5 terrain or higher, 2.5 difficulty or lower (hey, after all that work getting there, I wanna find it!) traditional regular sized cache is my fave. Make it a scenic hike and I barely care if I find the cache or not.

HOWEVER......

There are still times when I enjoy running around a town I've never been in, exploring all the little suburban parks, and I even enjoy a rest area micro to let me stop and stretch my legs. I had a blast walking around Washington DC one day doing all the virtuals. Thankfully, people hide all kinds of caches, and I can pick and choose what I want, when I want.

This is how I have approached caching from the beggining- thus, my low numbers.

Numbers are not why I cache.

As I look over my finds- I can see I slipped a few times and grabbed a couple local hides- but otherwise most have been out in the woods-

once i found 350ish i kind of hit a wall and have come to the same conclusion that you have. i need to do it the way i want (or rather the ones i want) to keep enjoying this game.

and i won't mind doing the urban caches when i'm in a different area, but i'm kind of over doing them in my home area. i hope to hit some longer hikes this weekend with my caching buddies. it's nice to enjoy settling into caching enjoyment again.

Well, I am kind of there. I have slowly been working out in a radius from my home finding every single cache. The big thing for me is that I pick and choose which ones I attempt and when I want to try them but I still want to find them all. There is a nice local n00b who has placed some 20 new caches all within my instant strike zone but I decided not to "run out the door" to grab them. I decided to start a monster multi that I have wanted to tackle from the day I started caching and I am glad I did - not a muggle in site and today I saw my first robbin of the spring. Two days working on it and more to come.

Good for you! In general, I enjoy those types the best too. For *me*, a 3.5 terrain or higher, 2.5 difficulty or lower (hey, after all that work getting there, I wanna find it!) traditional regular sized cache is my fave. Make it a scenic hike and I barely care if I find the cache or not.

HOWEVER......

There are still times when I enjoy running around a town I've never been in, exploring all the little suburban parks, and I even enjoy a rest area micro to let me stop and stretch my legs. I had a blast walking around Washington DC one day doing all the virtuals. Thankfully, people hide all kinds of caches, and I can pick and choose what I want, when I want.

That's pretty much my approach as a geocacher too Mopar, but I've gotten lazy too. I have about 100-150 finds that I haven't even bothered to log. Truth be told, I've misplaced the notes on these finds (as well as 5 or 6 hides in the Sierras) from 3 cross country trips in the last 18 months. I know that I still have the notes... I may have left them in my storage area in Mammoth. Eh, I'll get 'em on my next trip home. I know that I'm over 400 finds even if my stats don't show it. What my stats mean to others matters not to me. If more people adopted the attitudes expressed in this thread, there would sure be a whole heck of a lot less angst expressed here in the forums and at events.

The hider is playing a game called geocaching. They are evidently playing it right because their cache was approved.

You are also playing a GAME (sport/hobby/obsession/etc.) evidently called MY version of Geocaching 1.5, or maybe even 2.O. You seem to be failing at your game if you are not able to enjoy it. Snoogans-(I forget when)

"Failure is a hard pill to swallow until you realize the only failure you can really have in this sport is the failure to enjoy yourself."

TotemLake 4/26/04

I know that sounds weird, but there was a time when I would find EVERYTHING around me, just to be a completist. But after finding so many weak micros, trash dump caches and other things I don't enjoy, I've decided to go after only the caches I think I'll really enjoy. I know some people enjoy all the micros, and I also know it could be argued that I may miss great caches that way, but really, that's the way I want to do it.

It's really liberating, actually: instead of griping about the poor quality of caches, I just plan better and have stopped being so numbers-oriented. I watch the logs and if people are just writing TNLNSL on the logs, then it's probably not good. If the log is nine miles long and talks about how great an adventure was had, that's probably my kind of cache.

All kinds of urban micros are popping up around me. The descriptions say terse things like "in parking lot look under bush." The hides are in coffee cans. And I feel fine about it because I'm IGNORING them.

I've discovered that my ideal cache is this:

1. In the woods. I just can't get excited about urban caches anymore.

2. Involves a hike.

3. Takes me to a very special scenic spot, or place of historical significance.

4. Is at least ammo can sized.

So those are the ones I'm hunting. It isn't that I think others should be abolished, or that Groundspeak should adopt a ratings system, or anything like that. It's just that after doing some biggies like Black Mesa Cache, I am no longer interested in anything that doesn't challenge me. I hope you are getting the same enjoyment out of the game as I am, playing it YOUR WAY.

I very much agree with doing it your own way; I call it following your Heart, and I do the same; I have done so for a long time. I also tend to check in with my gut sense when we arrive at a prospective cache site, and if I have a funny feeling about a cache site or get a sense that either the parking situation may be illegal, that the cache placement may be grossly illegal, or that the neighbors or locals (or property owners) really don't want us hunting caches there, I do not hesitate to turn around and leave; I am simply not a caching addict. I tend to only go after caches which appeal to me; that can include any and all of the following:

• really creative hides
  • hides in places which are beautiful or very interesting
  • wilderness or backcountry caches
  • extreme caches
  • adventure caches
  • caches which demand a lot of creativity and wit
  • caches that are unique in some way
  • caches in a new area (region, state, province or country) that I am visiting that will give me a chance to see parts of that area which I would not have seen otherwise
  • caches at beaches where there is a women's beach volleyball game underway :D
  • caches at nude beaches, such as near South Beach, Florida :D

I also tend to place the same types of caches that I like; witness our Psycho Urban Cache series and our Psycho Backcountry Cache series and some of our wilderness hides. Anyway, these are just my preferences; I do not judge other types of caches nor the people who place them, and I do not judge people who like other types of caches. My wife Sue, who loves puzzle caches (can't stand most of 'em myself...) and also shares many of my tastes in caches, is a near-total caching addict, and tends to go after any cache within 100 miles. She could easily spend 18 hours per day for the rest of her life cache hunting, even looking for micros in urban parking lots. Me, I can go for weeks at a time without looking for a cache.

I questioned the enjoyment to be had in 5 minute cache-and-dash finds as well, and then I did Vignere's Right to Bear Arms. This, I realized, was what I was looking for. A challenge to discover the location, a challenge to reach, and a challenge to find. I still do easy ones with my daughter, and I enjoy those as well, but I'll never measure a weekend by the number of caches I found.

On a semi-related note, I get a little depressed when I look at advice given regarding what GPSr a beginner should buy. Color displays, autorouting, topo maps, 2GB SD cards, integrated magnetic compasses, accurate to within .3 meters of the target, able to maintain a signal in a concrete bunker, etc. If they sold a unit that would play the Star Spangled Banner when you are standing directly on the cache, I'm sure it would sell. Where's the enjoyment in the hike, the appreciation of the view, the sense of satisfaction in finding a well hidden cache when you're totally engrossed in the the latest techno-toy that's doing all the work for you?

There are so many great things about Geocaching, and the number of caches found or the price of your equipment are not among them.

Just my opinion.

I did "selective caching" early on when I started, since I was not a Premium Member and had to get waypoints for caches in very small quantities at a time. This forced me to choose where I wanted to go, to reduce time spent sitting in front of a computer. No Pocket Queries to harrass me. :D

Competition always takes its toll, DESPITE what self-promoting books say about the "rewards" of being #1. I hope you continue to enjoy Geocaching the way you want. :D

You know, some days I'm glad that ignorance is bliss. I've been playing that way since I joined. There's caches not 10 miles from where I live that I've never even looked for because I'm not the least bit interested. That's not saying anything against the owner or type of cache, I'm merely not interested. I suspect that you're among a large, quiet number of like thinking cachers and that's the beauty of it. With the exception of the criteria for the hide itself, there are no rules to this game other than the ones you place upon yourself.

Wear your seatbelt (until you enter the parking lot)

Obey the posted speed limits (when your radar/lazer detector chirps)

Don't tresspass (when anyone is looking)

and

Trade up, trade even, or don't trade

That's pretty much my approach as a geocacher too Mopar, but I've gotten lazy too. I have about 100-150 finds that I haven't even bothered to log. Truth be told, I've misplaced the notes on these finds (as well as 5 or 6 hides in the Sierras) from 3 cross country trips in the last 18 months. I know that I still have the notes... I may have left them in my storage area in Mammoth. Eh, I'll get 'em on my next trip home. I know that I'm over 400 finds even if my stats don't show it. What my stats mean to others matters not to me. If more people adopted the attitudes expressed in this thread, there would sure be a whole heck of a lot less angst expressed here in the forums and at events.

Heh. I'm probably several hundred finds behind in logging as well. One of these days I will catch up, really.

Maybe.

Edited by Mopar

Add me to the "me too" list -- yesterday I went out for a 3-mile hike that ended in a DNF, but my log was happy one because it was such a gorgeous day and it was a really nice walk in great park. And today I went for another 3-mile hike for two caches, although this one was more strenuous; a 3.5-star terrain since it involved climbing to the top of what passes for a mountain here. These two caches were on page 5 of my "nearest unfound" search, but I haven't really felt like doing the nearer ones.

Great views, beautiful weather, good exercise, full-sized caches, all by myself out in the woods for hours -- it was ideal.

My wife Sue, who loves puzzle caches (can't stand most of 'em myself...) and also shares many of my tastes in caches, is a near-total caching addict, and tends to go after any cache within 100 miles. She could easily spend 18 hours per day for the rest of her life cache hunting, even looking for micros in urban parking lots. Me, I can go for weeks at a time without looking for a cache.

This is Sue. Tsk, my dear husband Vinny exaggerates. True I am kinda an addict but 2, MAYBE 3 days a week of 8 hours caching each day is about my limit. I mostly go after puzzle caches but will find any caches I happen to be passing or near. My favorite setting for finding caches is in forest, with no "civilization" noise, with many caches available along a long hike (rather than needing to drive to the next cache). The more wildlife, natural diverse vegetation, scenic views and sunny weather I see the better!

Sunbeams,

Sue of Vinny & Sue Team

Edited by Vinny & Sue Team

No phones, no people, no problems, out in the woods. Welcome to the better side of caching. Did I mention I hate MOST micros. There are some great Cachers in my area that do put out some GREAT micro caches. They make them easy to find so you do not disturb the area and they usually involve a good hike to a great area. That is the only ones I will go after anymore.

Great views, beautiful weather, good exercise, full-sized caches, all by myself out in the woods for hours -- it was ideal.

I second that. Weather is not that important to me though. And I am "catching it" on another thread for "going it alone".

My latest is getting park and grabs without turning on the handheld GPS. Those micros are good for something. :D

The two styles are poles apart, but a rough mix of the two is the way I choose to play...... for now.

Maybe we should start a club. :lol:

Didn't take me to 300 to come to the same conclusion as the OP, the lightbulb came on this last week for me. I have never "power cached", more of a "casual I have all my life to do this so I'm in no hurry" type of cacher. After my last outing I have decided that if I see a lot of logs that mention the need for a CITO, that one is not for me. Not that I don't want to pick up garbage but why the heck would someone hide one in a empty lot that looks like a transient camp? I do it for fun, and I'll go find the ones that look like I will have fun finding. It may be a micro :laughing: or a long hike in, but fun is fun.

Well we are still pretty new to caching so it's still fun to find it no matter what it is. At first we just went out around where we live just to see if we could find them. There are almost 150 just in the town here but by the 3rd day we decided that we would cache in an area we had planned to go not go to an area we planned to cache.

This cache was one of the best hunts I've ever experienced. In the end Skigirl and I hiked nearly 20 miles and made 4 attempts over 3 years to find it.

I wouldn't trade any one of the attempts for 500 parking lot micros.

As an aside, one of my pix from this hunt has been rotating through this website's home page for a week or so.

It's one of the lesser views along the way, but way better than any Wal-mart parking lot that I've ever seen.

8eefdf20-c310-4207-9bad-b182093ff822.jpg

Edited by briansnat

This summer my son and I are going to place a cache in OR that will require a 22 mile hike at minimun to get to it. It is on a trail that I have wanted to hike since I was a kid that makes a 22 mile loop over 3 different peaks in alpine wilderness. We are placing it somewhere in the middle of the loop, so it can be started to from either direction. Every year that I go up to this area it gets more and more beautiful. It won't be a puzzle, micro, evil pinecone hanging in a tree type of cache, just an ammo can in the woods at the most breathtaking place on this earth that I have ever been. It won't be about the cache but the journey to get there. I hope to make a favorite for those who put the effort into the hike. Just thought I'd share.

I hear ya OP!

Back when I began, almost every cache listed had at least 3, sometimes 4 of the attributes that you say makes up your favorite type of cache. Ahhhhhh the good old days!

These days, at least in my local area, that type of cache a growing rarity. It's kind of amazing when you realize that I am surrounded by more public land then anywhere else in PA, but all the new caches are showing up in the very limited "pink" areas on the map. Then again...it's not at all surprising when you realize you need a permit to place a cache on most of that public land outside the pink areas.

I'm convinced that geocache permit systems are slowly choking the game out of these areas. I also find it ironic (and a bit scary) that these are absolutly the very best places to geocache and so few new caches are showing up there! Why bother going through the hassle of a permit when you can slap a old lipstick tube with a rolled up piece of scrap paper anywhere thats quasi-public property? What seems to be happening is that the sport is being steered more and more to areas that are less than ideal areas to be hiding caches. And when did "stealth" ever become such a popular part of geocaching?

Luckily there are still cachers around like George1, PABowHunter, HolyCowboys, RGBisME and a few others who will go through the permit hassle to place a good cache. I just wish there were more cachers like them around and I had more free time to make the longer jaunts to those caches.

Until then...I'll patiently wait for the revolution! :laughing:

I'm convinced that geocache permit systems are slowly choking the game out of these areas. I also find it ironic (and a bit scary) that these are absolutly the very best places to geocache and so few new caches are showing up there! Why bother going through the hassle of a permit when you can slap a old lipstick tube with a rolled up piece of scrap paper anywhere thats quasi-public property?

I do believe that the permit system is part of the problem in your area. Though they are easy to obtain and the PA DCNR rarely turns anyone down, people appear to be unwilling to bother with the process. Which is why you will find a micro on the guardrail next to the parking lot of a gorgeous state park, with miles of great hiking trails, yet few if any caches in the park itself.

Top Ten Signs of a Caching Relapse into Old Habits:

10. Start thinking of governing rules to keep "those caches" out of MY area.

9. New club logo for "us enlightened cachers."

8. The old "itch" returns when I enter the forums.

7. Direct line to Jeremy installed.

6. (I just realized that I'm 4 steps backward down the ladder to peace..... let's see now, what was it? Oh, yeah:

aaaaaaaaahhhhhhh!

thanks for this thread.

HOWEVER......

I find I much the same as you mopar.....except I like fords

Glad you finally figured out that being HAPPY and having FUN is what it's all about! ;) I'd quote snoogans, but he's already quoted himself in this thread. Sometimes just running up my numbers is what makes me happy, sometimes it is the nice long hike.

Yesterday it was being able to leave work a little bit early, and find a few along a nice 3 mile greenway loop trail before dark, and then finding a few more parking lot micros on the way home in the dark. No way I'm doing a 3.5 terrain hike solo in the dark, but finding a few high exposure busy parking lot ones was.

Sunday it will be fun to do a cache run through a town I haven't been to in over a year with a good geopal I haven't seen in a few weeks, before we attend an event. The most fun part will be enjoying his company all day as well as the cache finds we make. Next weekend I think I will plan to do some hikes before it starts getting really warm.

You can't please everyone every time, and there is a sucker born every minute, and if you can't please yourself when you are setting out to have fun, then you are that sucker! :(:lol::o:laughing:

I do believe that the permit system is part of the problem in your area. Though they are easy to obtain and the PA DCNR rarely turns anyone down, people appear to be unwilling to bother with the process. Which is why you will find a micro on the guardrail next to the parking lot of a gorgeous state park, with miles of great hiking trails, yet few if any caches in the park itself.

My favorite is a nano-micro hidden on a steel road bridge right next to the state forest sign. Another is a ammo can hidden behind a boulder 5 feet from a paved road that runs through State Game Lands.

And you are correct....nobody around here, as far as I know, has ever been turned down for a DCNR permit except in the few off limits areas. When I do find a new DCNR permitted cache, I make it a point to thank the owner for making the effort to get the permit. Hopefully, they will place some more.

I have only done one geochache and I am already at the point to where if it doesn't have a terrain of 4 or 5 then I am not doing it. I am being extremely selective. I need the thrill. I need mean dogs, steep hills, walls to climb, mud to splash, miles and miles of endless wilderness, hillbillies that shoot, people to yell "run Forest run" while running. I'm not a guy full of hormones, just in need of a good ole' fashion adventure. I want to tell lots of stories when I get back. It makes the cache so much more exciting for me. It makes life more meaningful.

Congrats on completing the 12-step program! I'm much the same way, I just go out to have fun and enjoy being with friends. If we don't want to do a particular cache, we skip it. If I don't feel right about searching in a particular spot, I skip it. Much like the forums, if there's a thread on a topic I don't find interesting, I don't read it, because I don't have to.

Everything's a lot more fun that way. When you start forcing yourself to do everything is when the game isn't as fun anymore.

:wub:

This is like the ultimate "me too" thread. You don't really thing anyone is going to post to it and and say something like "I'm a numbers hound that will gleefully run out and find anything anyone places anywhere", do you? Fact is though, 99% of the cachers in my area are just that :anicute: I can't say I've been selective from day one, because there was no such thing as "Wally World Micros" when I started caching. (at least in my area) But I sure as heck avoid them like the plague now. I, like Mopar, will admit to finding rest area caches (great way to stetch the legs) and generally don't mind looking for small park micro's, unless they're unusually lamer than most.

[EDIT] I think I'd better clarify my thinking here :huh: What I meant was, this is the kind of thread that will tend to attract other like minded selective cachers, which I believe to be a small minority of the caching community. The cacher who would run out with a flashlight to FTF a parking lot micro at 10:00 PM would tend to ignore this thread, just as I would ignore such a cache placement.

Edited by TheWhiteUrkel

I have been at this going on four years, and [for health reasons] have a very low find count. For me it's the hiding part that gets my juices flowing.This thread has got me thinking,and I promise I will never place a lame micro,and I will do my best to make all my hides Fun, take you to wonderfull ,and beutifull places you never knew existed,and I hope to challenge you enough to make you laugh,and call me names.

The club I would like to see is a HIDERS club.So we could give you what you want.

We have 25 finds in 4 years, mostly due to not being able to get out as often as we want to. We've done a couple of park-n-grabs, but after doing them we asked, what was the point? Same thing with the small local parks, if I can walk across the whole park in 2 minutes I'm not going to cache there. I'd rather spend 18 hours hiking in the woods and maybe getting 1 find than spend 8 hours driving from park to park and guardrail to parking lot to get 100 finds anyday.

That being said, I know a lot of people like the quick, easy caches. Good for them, all of those caches in my area happen to be on my ignore list. I suppose it boils down to the fact that to me caching is a secondary activity to hiking. I'll plan for a hike, if there's a cache near it, great. I'll look for it. If not, great, I have a hike to go on.

This is like the ultimate "me too" thread. You don't really thing anyone is going to post to it and and say something like "I'm a numbers hound that will gleefully run out and find anything anyone places anywhere", do you? Fact is though, 99% of the cachers in my area are just that :anicute: I can't say I've been selective from day one, because there was no such thing as "Wally World Micros" when I started caching. (at least in my area) But I sure as heck avoid them like the plague now. I, like Mopar, will admit to finding rest area caches (great way to stetch the legs) and generally don't mind looking for small park micro's, unless they're unusually lamer than most.

[EDIT] I think I'd better clarify my thinking here :wub: What I meant was, this is the kind of thread that will tend to attract other like minded selective cachers, which I believe to be a small minority of the caching community. The cacher who would run out with a flashlight to FTF a parking lot micro at 10:00 PM would tend to ignore this thread, just as I would ignore such a cache placement.

Yeah...but its nice to know there are a few others around who think like you do. :huh:

I also like this thread. I am still fairly new to geocaching, but I have placed several and most of these involve hiking at least 3 miles. These are along the Sheltowee Trace National Rec trail. My caches have not been getting very many visits and some of them have not had an FTF as yet. I have been wondering why. They are in such beautiful areas and I feel that my descriptions do provide that information.

I began to suspect that it is because most of my caches will take at least an afternoon to complete. I further began to suspect that maybe it had something to do with the numbers game. I mean - if you take an entire afternoon to find only one (really nice) cache, then you won't be able to find those other nine you'd be able to do instead of going after these remote caches of mine.

But then - I do also enjoy watching my own numbers climb. I think a little of both is good. But I do prefer to do really nice geocaches. There are plenty of both.

Edited by Moonsovrbend

I know that sounds weird, but there was a time when I would find EVERYTHING around me, just to be a completist. But after finding so many weak micros, trash dump caches and other things I don't enjoy, I've decided to go after only the caches I think I'll really enjoy.

Did you ever know that you're my hero?

:anicute:

RJ

d82fdb95-adec-4d8a-acc6-2fc64ed463f2.jpg

This is a view from a trek to a cache that I never made it to. Too much altitude and too little oxygen. I love a cache with a 5 mile hike and a great view. But I also like the numbers game. The great thing about Geocaching is I can have my cake and eat it too. I cache at least one weekend day but more often than not I am out both days. I very seldom do an all micro trip. I will usually throw in several hiking caches. Last year I took 4 trips to the Smokies and Blue Ridge Mountains to get my mountain hiking fix. If you look at my hides most of them are in the woods with a big percentage being ammo boxes. I never brag about my numbers in fact when someone asks me how many I have I am usually embarassed to admit the depth of my addiction. Numbers are for my head but the 4 terrain cache is for my soul. Anyway that is why I do what I do. I have fallen for caching and I can't give it up.

Deermark

I also like this thread. I am still fairly new to geocaching, but I have placed several and most of these involve hiking at least 3 miles. These are along the Sheltowee Trace National Rec trail. My caches have not been getting very many visits and some of them have not had an FTF as yet. I have been wondering why. They are in such beautiful areas and I feel that my descriptions do provide that information.

I began to suspect that it is because most of my caches will take at least an afternoon to complete. I further began to suspect that maybe it had something to do with the numbers game. I mean - if you take an entire afternoon to find only one (really nice) cache, then you won't be able to find those other nine you'd be able to do instead of going after these remote caches of mine.

But then - I do also enjoy watching my own numbers climb. I think a little of both is good. But I do prefer to do really nice geocaches. There are plenty of both.

Personally, I think your "unfound" caches sound amazing. I would LOVE to head down for the FTF on them...but alas. 140 miles? as the crow flies? my "other half" would murderate me...

Hope soem one takes them on soon, tho!

It only took me 100 finds, but more than 2 years, to realize this same thing. I think it all came to a head when I came home 3 or 4 times in a row disappointed from caching, and these were cache runs that had no DNFs.

It made me think about what I like about caching and what I don't like

From now on, I'll do what I like.

This was very liberating.

Paul

[EDIT] I think I'd better clarify my thinking here :rolleyes: What I meant was, this is the kind of thread that will tend to attract other like minded selective cachers, which I believe to be a small minority of the caching community. The cacher who would run out with a flashlight to FTF a parking lot micro at 10:00 PM would tend to ignore this thread, just as I would ignore such a cache placement.

Funny.

I'm one of the poster who has decided to find the caches I want to find. To me that include hikes to interesting places, solving interesting puzzles and yes (!), getting that parking lot micro on a FTFP run. I love the thrill of the chase there, funny thing is, if I don't attempt the FTFP, then I'll likely never find that cache. They mean a lot to me when unfound, but nothing at all when found.

So I'm not disagreeing with you, not at all, just saying that as we decide to find what we want to find, all that means is that we've made a conscious decision about what caches attract us, and for me, there is a temporal element also. Interest in a cache can certainly evaporate instantly.

Funny hobby we have, huh?

Paul