The Project A.p.e. Geocoin

Semper Questio

And I'm not sure how everybody else feels but for me I prefer the traditional round coins to all of the shapes coming out lately.

Normally I would agree with you on this point but because the APE caches are skinny themselves, this may be appropiate. I like this one too.

AG: Mark it down on your scorecard. I said something positive about a coin today. :D

Skinny?? :D The Maryland APE cache is huge.

I prefer standard round coins. It does seem a shame to not have an ape of some sort on the coin but I like the idea of the locations on a map

Nothing explained the handprint, but the map yes.

The map shows the locations of the caches. Kinda hard ot see on th eimage, but the archived caches are a red dot. The currently active caches will be inlaid green 'jewels'. The point of this side is to reflect the global nature of these caches and to commemorate all of them, not just the one I did.

OK, the deal with the other side.

Due to the somewhat militaristic bent of the original cache theme and movie, I wanted a more stark, militaristic primary side of the coin. I REALLY wanted to use the "crazy ape", but we've covered that. I then went looking for another suitable image. I wanted a fierce-looking gorilla, but everythig looked like King Kong. Then I found the handprint. Of course, anyone that's seen the POTA movies knows of the significance of the gorillas in the movies, and the open hand just seemed to "fit" the concept and the gorillas' role in the movie.

Does that help?

Yes somewhat, hand print = militaristic gorilla... Anyway to get that info on the coin? :D

Thank you for the explaintion.

I love the coin and will need a gold. What I don't like are all the people that are complaining about it. If you don't like it then don't order one. If your obsession with collecting coins is clouding your views of what you like and don't like that is a shame. If you can design a better coin then do it.

I love the coin and will need a gold. What I don't like are all the people that are complaining about it. If you don't like it then don't order one. If your obsession with collecting coins is clouding your views of what you like and don't like that is a shame. If you can design a better coin then do it.

Very Well Said!!!

Do you put a system in place to stop people from backdating logs?

I already have a lsit of all finds on all APE caches from their initial placement to today. A 100% flawless system? Probably not, but if someone claims to be a finder but they aren't on my list already, their claim is suspect and will warrant further investigation.

Also, if there is a log editing timestamp after today, that would raise more warning flags.

Edit for a correction of terminology.

Edited by Semper Questio

Yes, how dare you all have an opinion and give constructive criticism. Don't you know that's not allowed on these forums?

I would like to see an ape on there, though. You could just stylize the existing logo and use that. Anyway, I'll buy one of the LE when they're made. I really like your method of choosing who to sell them to.

Now...you get on the list for Gold by age, right?

The oldest on top....the youngest at the bottom? After all it is about the amount of effort put out to nab one of these APE Caches.......I had to walk thru a 2+ mile tunnel in the dark to get mine....that ought to count for something....and, I'm an "old guy"...I don't see too well in the dark. Not like you "young" guys hat can read a Comic Book under the covers, without a flashlight. :laughing:

If I were interested I would want 2 gold. But you say only 1 per mailing address. Both my son (10) and I have found the A.P.E. cache here in Illinois. The second one would be for him. In advance: yes, he has his own account. So, would we be able to get 2 or only 1? Sorry if this was already covered.

I wrestled with this very thing for quite a while. I settled on 1 per address at the outset because of the limited number that will be produced and to give the maximum opportunity to get at least 1 gold to each family/team that has found at least 1 cache.

At first, I was going to do 1 per logged acccount holder, but then you get into those that have accounts for their dogs, trucks, and whatever else you can come up with that could potentially be taking coins out of the hands of human "finders". So in the interest of trying to balance all-around fairness and opportunity I chose this path.

A few of quick points....

* To give as many individual finders and finding families as possible an opportunity to get one of the gold coins, it's going to be 1 gold per address regardless of the number of APE caches found. This was a hard issue to wrestle with and I considered many other options, but no matter how you slice it one person's "fair" is another's "bogus" so I decided to go this way.

* The prefix and icon for gc.com tracking are not finalized yet.

* I see a lot of folks want several of each metal. I REALLY appreciate the interest and enthusiam, but as stated in the OP, it's gonna be a limit of 1 gold and 2 nickels per address for the same reason as above - max opportunity for people to acquire a coin.

* Will the buying limits be eased or lifted later? Only time will tell. All I can say with 100% certainty at this moment is that the limits are in place now and that I have no intention of making gold coins available to anyone who has not found at least 1 APE cache. So with that out there, if you have an interest in them, I suggest getting what you can and then seeing how things develop later if you want more.

Sorry to be short, but I gotta get back to work. :anicute: