The Project A.p.e. Geocoin

Semper Questio

The Project A.P.E. caches have become something special to a lot of cachers for a lot of different reasons. So during this, the 5th anniversary of their placement, I present to you

The Project A.P.E. Commemorative Geocoin

apedieart.gif

These coins are in the final stages of development. Although I am not quite yet ready to take orders, I expect to be very soon (within the next two weeks or so). When that happens, this thread will be locked and a new one will be started with all the information you need to order your very own Project A.P.E. coin.

OK, so here are the particulars:

• A rectangular shape and green background color on the front to represent the containers and the cache icon.
  • Front: Features the handprint of the mountain gorilla.
  • Back: Features a world map showing the APE cache locations:
    • Red dots to show the locations of archived APE caches.
    • Green inlaid 'jewels' to show the locations of active APE caches.

[*]Two metal editions, gold and nickel, in quantities yet to be determined.

• Gold: For APE cache finders only (finds as of today), in very limited quantities, and limited to 1 per mailing address. The gold coin is meant as a finder's commemorative.
    • Nickel: Available to everyone, in not-so-limited quantities, and limited to 2 per mailing address.

[*]Trackable on Geocaching.com with a unique icon.

[*]Cost will be all-inclusive (mialing, insurance, etc.)

• United States: $9.00
    • International $11.00

Edited by Semper Questio

The APE caches have an actual monkey on the front of the ammo can, not a print. Would that be an acceptable change?

Not with the lawyers since fox owns the rights to those images... Although, I was told that using Project A.P.E on the coin was probably not acceptable also so what do I know.

Are these official?

Well, "official" in that contact was made with Groundspeak, they are aware of the project, and only voiced a concern over use of the "crazy ape" logo.

The APE caches have an actual monkey on the front of the ammo can, not a print. Would that be an acceptable change?

I wanted to use the "crazy ape" , but that is a registered logo belonging to Fox and it could not be used without lawyering-up and, I'm sure, involving large sums of money.

Although, I was told that using Project A.P.E on the coin was probably not acceptable also so what do I know.

There was no objection raised to use of the text "Project A.P.E."

Great idea- I've heard about this idea from a few folks.

Glad I have an APE under my belt (strange visual..... :D )

Anyway, if you're taking feedbcak on the coin I think it needs a bit of work as well.

And I'm not sure how everybody else feels but for me I prefer the traditional round coins to all of the shapes coming out lately.

In all, though - a good idea.

Just be prepared for the questions that are no doubt coming (not from me, mind you):

"Why exlcude people who haven't found an APE cache from the LE?"

"that's not fair"

etc.

I like this idea. However, is there a way to make this more official?

I'd be willing to pay the extra $ for an official one, since I'm sure there will be some resources spent to deal with any legal issues. If this causes production delays, then I'm willing to wait - it'd be worth it.

That's a good question and one I should have addressed at the outset.

The gold coin is not intended to be regarded as the usual LE. Rather, it is meant to be more along th elines of an APE cache finder's commemorative piece.

That's a good question and one I should have addressed at the outset.

The gold coin is not intended to be regarded as the usual LE. Rather, it is meant to be more along th elines of an APE cache finder's commemorative piece.

Don't get me wrong - I agree with the concept. But there are those that don't and I was just preparing you for those questions :D .

I wanted to use the "crazy ape" , but that is a registered logo belonging to Fox and it could not be used without lawyering-up and, I'm sure, involving large sums of money.

Ok, so you couldn't use 29778313_f884126f65_m.jpg

What is the hand print? I guess I'm not up on my APE history... is there some place that explains what the images on the coin are, and why they were used? To me a handprint and a worldmap seems... vauge?

is there some place that explains what the images on the coin are, and why they were used? To me a handprint and a worldmap seems... vauge?

Nothing explained the handprint, but the map yes.

The map shows the locations of the caches. Kinda hard ot see on th eimage, but the archived caches are a red dot. The currently active caches will be inlaid green 'jewels'. The point of this side is to reflect the global nature of these caches and to commemorate all of them, not just the one I did.

OK, the deal with the other side.

Due to the somewhat militaristic bent of the original cache theme and movie, I wanted a more stark, militaristic primary side of the coin. I REALLY wanted to use the "crazy ape", but we've covered that. I then went looking for another suitable image. I wanted a fierce-looking gorilla, but everythig looked like King Kong. Then I found the handprint. Of course, anyone that's seen the POTA movies knows of the significance of the gorillas in the movies, and the open hand just seemed to "fit" the concept and the gorillas' role in the movie.

Does that help?

And I'm not sure how everybody else feels but for me I prefer the traditional round coins to all of the shapes coming out lately.

Normally I would agree with you on this point but because the APE caches are skinny themselves, this may be appropiate. I like this one too.

AG: Mark it down on your scorecard. I said something positive about a coin today. :D

You say "Very Limited Quantities" for the gold...any way to get a better read on that?...OR...

If this is, as you say, "...meant to be more along th elines of an APE cache finder's commemorative piece. ", shouldn't there be a VERY good (i.e. 100%) chance that all of us that have found at least one of the APE caches (and collect coins) are able to get them?

Would it be possible to sign up in advance?

Since you limit the LE to those with a "found" icon as of today and backward, it's easy enough to check the online cache logs to verify who has the right to order the LE.

Heck, I'd even offer to do the "look up" service just to make sure it's fair. How about it?

Thanks in advance.

Great idea!... Was lucky enought to log an Ape Cache with some of my best friends... Lots of good memories... I would like 1 gold and 2 silver please... Thanks!.......... Triffid

I'll trade you my gold for your gold, my friend.

:D

You say "Very Limited Quantities" for the gold...any way to get a better read on that?...OR...

If this is, as you say, "...meant to be more along th elines of an APE cache finder's commemorative piece. ", shouldn't there be a VERY good (i.e. 100%) chance that all of us that have found at least one of the APE caches (and collect coins) are able to get them?

Would it be possible to sign up in advance?

Since you limit the LE to those with a "found" icon as of today and backward, it's easy enough to check the online cache logs to verify who has the right to order the LE.

Heck, I'd even offer to do the "look up" service just to make sure it's fair. How about it?

Thanks in advance.

"Very Limited Quantities" means far fewer than the Nickel and it will be a 1-time run.

Basing the number of golds to make on the number of finds logged is not very viable since there have been over 3,000 finds on APE caches to date and there is no way to know how many of those finders are still cachers, much less interested in coins. And that is the reason for the 1 coin limit. This will be a limited run, but I want to give max opportunity for finders to get 1. There will also be a mechanism for multiple cache finders to get on a waiting list to get a coin for their additional finds if there are any coins left.

When someone orders a gold coin, their status as an APE finder WILL be verified before they are invoiced for payment for their gold coin.