4" Plastic Cap Usgs

dzrtrat

:P While wandering in the desert, came across a us dept. of interior geological survey marker. It is marked 7RLM with a triangle in the middle. I read many of the forum posts but was unable to find a simular marker. Is RLM same as RM? As you can see I am new to Bench Marks but willing to learn.

:rolleyes: While wandering in the desert, came across a us dept. of interior geological survey marker. It is marked 7RLM with a triangle in the middle. I read many of the forum posts but was unable to find a simular marker. Is RLM same as RM? As you can see I am new to Bench Marks but willing to learn.

So I assume this is not a bench mark, as the coordinates did not appear on the geological website. The sign in your photo appears to be the same as the one neer this mark on a steel pole but is all shot up. Nice of the geological Survey to put a target. We should put up signs that can shoot back at these great hunters.

:rolleyes: While wandering in the desert, came across a us dept. of interior geological survey marker. It is marked 7RLM with a triangle in the middle. I read many of the forum posts but was unable to find a simular marker. Is RLM same as RM? As you can see I am new to Bench Marks but willing to learn.

So I assume this is not a bench mark, as the coordinates did not appear on the geological website. The sign in your photo appears to be the same as the one neer this mark on a steel pole but is all shot up. Nice of the geological Survey to put a target. We should put up signs that can shoot back at these great hunters.

Welcome to benchmark hunting dzrtrat,

This is a benchmark - just not in the NGS database that Geocaching.com uses.

A US Dept. of Interior Geological survey marker is usually placed to denote some national park or national recreation area - we have seen these here for Lake Powell - it is Glen Canyon National Recreation Area. None of these type of marks around here are included in the database.

The triangle in the middle suggests that it is a triangulation station. The number 7 is probably the 7th mark to be placed to survey a given area. We can find a line of benchmarks down a highway (with those same witness signs) that are either numbered consecutively or in alphabetical order.

This is just from our own experience with benchmarks...someone else may be able to shed some light on this mark...If you have a photo, sometimes that helps.

By the way, we have found not only those signs shot up but, the benchmarks as well. I guess when some people get really bored, anything looks like a target.

Happy caching and benchmark hunting.

Shirley~

Edited by 2oldfarts (the rockhounders)

:P While wandering in the desert, came across a us dept. of interior geological survey marker. It is marked 7RLM with a triangle in the middle. I read many of the forum posts but was unable to find a simular marker. Is RLM same as RM? As you can see I am new to Bench Marks but willing to learn.

A US Dept. of Interior Geological survey marker is usually placed to denote some national park or national recreation area - we have seen these here for Lake Powell - it is Glen Canyon National Recreation Area. None of these type of marks around here are included in the database.

The triangle in the middle suggests that it is a triangulation station. The number 7 is probably the 7th mark to be placed to survey a given area. We can find a line of benchmarks down a highway (with those same witness signs) that are either numbered consecutively or in alphabetical order.

This is just from our own experience with benchmarks...someone else may be able to shed some light on this mark...If you have a photo, sometimes that helps.

By the way, we have found not only those signs shot up but, the benchmarks as well. I guess when some people get really bored, anything looks like a target.

Shirley~

Shirley~

Shirley thanks for the reply. I want to send picture to verify, But can't find out how to down load. HELP!

Shirley thanks for the reply. I want to send picture to verify, But can't find out how to down load. HELP!

If you go to "My Account" and click on "edit my profile", then scroll about half way down the page you will find "Your Photo". Right under it is "change/edit", just click here to upload a picture of the benchmark. Once it has uploaded you link to it from the forums.

If you need more info, just ask.

Hope this helps,

John & Shirley

74b53286-312a-4e5c-a7d2-6d61eb66540e.jpg

John & Shirley, Thanks for the help. Picture loaded small, but it did load. The coordinates are 35*19.708N 117*57.040W These coordinates did not match anything on the geological survey. Is this a Bench Mark? I plan on doing a cache at this location, and whould like to be accurate as to what this is. Again THANK YOU

DZRTRAT

From what you describe, it is a benchmark, just not one listed with the NGS. There are many different agencies that set benchmarks and have their own databases for them. We are not aware of a database for the Dept. of Inter., though we have recovered some that made it into the NGS files.

If you go to 'Waymarking.com' you could log the benchmark there. This would then give you a link to use for your cache if needed. Haven't used Waymarking, so someone else would need to fill-in the info for logging there.

Good luck with your cache hide. It always adds a nice touch to a cache to have a benchmark used as part of the cache.

John

That depends on who you ask and what they consider "benchmark hunting". To me a non-NGS bench mark plays no role, since my primary reason to hunt benchmarks is to report them to the NGS for the benefit of surveyors. I put my finds on Geocaching because it is a place to post pics and to interact with others share my passion.

Others here will tell you how and where you can log that station.

Black Dog Tracker has a waymark on the sister site of Waymarking.com.

You could log your benchmark (click here) and include the info on your cache page, so the finders could go there to log that they found it and introduce them into benchmark hunting.

It would be just another fun thing for the cachers to do. We (and other BM hunters) have placed a cache close to a mark or included a mark as a clue for an offset or multi. We have seen people who will log their first BM and then go on to find others or at the very least, have their new Icon.

Later, maybe some surveyors will utilize Waymarking.com the way some do now of our logs for the NGS database on the Geocaching site.

Anyway - this is my thinking on the subject.

Shirley!