Explorist And Usb Problems

bbyers

Just bough a new Magallan eXplorist 400 and have been having some problems and hope someone here can help.

When I connect the GPSr to my PC I get an unknown USB device problem. I have installed the Magellan software so the driver should be there.

The little pop up in the bottom right says:

One of the USB devices attached to this computer has malfuntioned and Windows does not recognize it.

I have tried connecting to different USB ports on the PC and still the same thing. From the device manager on Windows I uninstalled the "Unkown Device" and then scanned for new devices. At first a popup came up saying the usual good news of new hardware found and installed and ready etc. Then I get the same popup saying device not recognized.

I have had to remove the SD card and use a card reader to transfer my goecache points to the card and then put the card back in the GPSr but this is a real pain.

Anyone have any idea what could be causing this?

That was exactly the problem. The connector tab is very decieving...Looks like it is supposed to go with the cord sticking up.

Ummm, I think the cable is supposed to be runing DOWN the back, not up.

http://www.magellangps.com/assets/caution_eXplorist_1up.pdf

Edit: Nevermind, Misread your reply, I think you've got it right. I thought the little tab thingy was supposed to fit into the slot int eh back of the unit. ie., upsidedown. d'oh! :D

Edited by markp99

That was exactly the problem. The connector tab is very decieving...Looks like it is supposed to go with the cord sticking up.

Ummm, I think the cable is supposed to be runing DOWN the back, not up.

http://www.magellangps.com/assets/caution_eXplorist_1up.pdf

Edit: Nevermind, Misread your reply, I think you've got it right. I thought the little tab thingy was supposed to fit into the slot int eh back of the unit. ie., upsidedown. d'oh! :anicute:

Yep, at first I had the plug backwards...with cord sticking up...because the tab on the end looked to fit in that orientation. I never imagined it should go the other direction. Now I have it running down the back and works like a charm.

Thanks for the replies.

Brandon

My eXplorist 500 just started doing this. I've been connecting it to my computer with no problems for 6 or 7 months. The cable is down. I deinstalled and reinstalled the drivers...no luck. I get the "USB Device Not Recognized" error. :D Maybe I'll try buying a new cable.

My eXplorist 500 just started doing this. I've been connecting it to my computer with no problems for 6 or 7 months. The cable is down. I deinstalled and reinstalled the drivers...no luck. I get the "USB Device Not Recognized" error. :mellow: Maybe I'll try buying a new cable.

It has been awhile, but I think the following worked:

I uninstalled my Magellan software, rebooted, went into Device Manager and deleted all my usb devices, rebooted, reinstalled my Magellan software.