Restaurant Caches

Anybody else getting fed up (not pun intended) with all the micro's in restaurant parking lots that are showing up. I've got no problem with micro's, we enjoy the challenge but what fun is it to cruise 7 parking lots in a half mile stretch of road. According to the rules:

Commercial Caches / Caches that Solicit

Commercial caches attempt to use the Geocaching.com web site cache-reporting tool directly or indirectly (intentionally or non-intentionally) to solicit customers through a Geocaching.com listing. These are NOT permitted. Examples include for-profit locations that require an entrance fee, or locations that sell products or services.

I know, if you don't like them then don't do them, well we don't do them but when we get into a new area and down load the caches it's getting where about 30% of them are this type. I waste a lot of time on GSAK reading and deleting them, it just seems to me that they're taking the sport down some.

While I'm on a rant, disregard the "THE NO TRESPASSING SIGN" I knows the owner.

Well I don't and neither do any cachers coming this way, if I'm out with the grandkids I don't want to teach them that signs and rules don't apply to us because the poster know the owner. The only time I've seen this handled properly was a cacher posted as a jpeg (so you could print it out) a typed & signed letter from the caretaker of a property, giving permission and listing a phone number to call in case there was a problem.

Gotta go it's lunchtime, think I'll go to McDonalds for a burger and a cache.

Examples include for-profit locations that require an entrance fee, or locations that sell products or services.

Restaurant parking lots generally don't charge an entrance fee, nor are products usually sold in the parking lot. However, in the few cases where they do, you might have a point. But as a general rule, nope.

Examples include for-profit locations that require an entrance fee, or locations that sell products or services.

Restaurant parking lots generally don't charge an entrance fee, nor are products usually sold in the parking lot. However, in the few cases where they do, you might have a point. But as a general rule, nope.

I've found several in parking lots that had signs that said "Parking only while shopping at xyz. Violators will be towed at owner's expense". I just park on the street and look for the cache :P . Seriously, I don't view caches in a parking lot to be commercial caches. However one does cache at one's own risk. There are no guarantees that the cache owner asked permission.

Anybody else getting fed up (not pun intended) with all the micro's in restaurant parking lots that are showing up. I've got no problem with micro's, we enjoy the challenge but what fun is it to cruise 7 parking lots in a half mile stretch of road. ...Gotta go it's lunchtime, think I'll go to McDonalds for a burger and a cache.

Beats sitting at my desk because there isn't one. Burger n Cache. I wonder if you can franchise that?

So how far is far enough away to suit you from a business for an urban cache? By the road? Across the street? In a park that the cache is by the corner that happens to have a business next door? Or farther away, but I can still see some kind of business? How about one near a steel mill. Now I know that I would just run right in there and tell them to toss a couple tons in the trunk of my car. We have urban caches and they are a fact of life.

Rather than me saying that if you don't like'm, don't do'm. I offer a suggestion.

What we should do is plead, beg and what ever is needed to get GC to add a few icons to say this one is an urban cache and also have one for micros. This would save all that wasted time for those that don't like to download all that info and then having to do it over and over again to get around those pesky caches. That could also allow for eliminating those caches when doing a PQ. All of this is just IMHO.

... What we should do is plead, beg and what ever is needed to get GC to add a few icons to say this one is an urban cache and also have one for micros. This would save all that wasted time for those that don't like to download all that info and then having to do it over and over again to get around those pesky caches. That could also allow for eliminating those caches when doing a PQ. All of this is just IMHO.

I can see micro's as their own cache type. They cause enough hate and discontent to where they really are something different than a traditional cache. The urban designation though is tougher. There are concrete jungle caches like the parking lot and urban jungle like the lava cliffs in the local park which are 100% different cache experiences. Not all urban caches are created equil and it's hard to separate them with an urban designation. In my case knowing the town and looking at a map gives me an excellent idea which is which before I look.

I think they make great waypoints to meet other cachers at. Instead of simply looking for the golden arches, we will watch the gps and pass it up at least 2 or 3 times. After a 10 minute tour of the blcok, we finally backtrack to the designated meeting spot.

So filter the micro out with your PQs.

Either that or filter them out in GSAK.

Am I the only one that saw this simple solution? :D

Yes, it will filter out the others not located in your favorite restauraunt or major store franchise, but it will handle the 30% you're complaining about.

:D

My second chance to post this today.....

The hider is playing a game called geocaching. They are evidently playing it right because their cache was approved.

You are also playing a GAME (sport/hobby/obsession/etc.) evidently called MY version of Geocaching 1.5, or maybe even 2.O. You seem to be failing at your game if you are not able to enjoy it.

Snoogans (I forget when)

"Failure is a hard pill to swallow until you realize the only failure you can really have in this sport is the failure to enjoy yourself."

TotemLake 4/26/04

Yes, I've been to too many parking lot caches. Most of them are not terribly interesting. Though the Cracker Barrel caches are not in the parking lot.

As to "No Trespassing" signs. I know several places that the state or county bought, but never took down the signs. This is usually noted int eh log pages, though.

So filter the micro out with your PQs.

Either that or filter them out in GSAK.

Am I the only one that saw this simple solution? :D

Yes, it will filter out the others not located in your favorite restauraunt or major store franchise, but it will handle the 30% you're complaining about.

Isn't it amazing what you can do with PQs and or GSAK

Kit Fox... I like your quote.

You mean this one:

My post count will never exceed my find count!

reckon we won't hear too much from him for a while, he's getting close!

maybe we should try to draw him into a flame war.

(I know what quote you mean and I agree. just having fun with it)

ARRRRGH hijacking another thread... can't quit.... must post... HELLLLLLLP!

:D

I like micros...QUALITY micros to be exact. I have NEVER done a restaurant/urban micro that sparked my interest or gave me that WOW factor. IMHO the only reason they are placed is to increase one's numbers.99% are placed WITHOUT permission and you assume all risks looking for them. I find no interest in a dumpster,drain pipe,stop sign,bush,pay phone and so forth. To each their own!!

There are a few that I would find interesting. There is one that I plan on doing that takes you an old passanger rail car converted into a diner, hear they have awesome biscuits and gravy! I cache to go caching and have fun doing it, not to piss myself off. That's called golf. :laughing:

no I mean this one

"Iran Embassy Hostages, 1979; · Beirut, Lebanon Embassy

1983; · Beirut, Lebanon Marine Barracks 1983; · Lockerbie, Scotland Pan-Am flight to New York 1988; · First New York World Trade Center attack 1993; ·Dhahran, Saudi Arabia Khobar Towers Military complex 1996; · Nairobi, Kenya US Embassy 1998; · Dares Salaam, Tanzania US Embassy 1998; · Aden, Yemen USS Cole 2000; New York World Trade Center 2001; Pentagon 2001. Some people still think terrorists aren't a threat to America"

The last Cracker Barrell cache I did stated it had permission from the corp. office, so it is possible to get permission, most people don't wanna take the time to ask.

I guess the manager at this one didn't get the word from the corp. office that it was ok.

It amazes me these are still allowed. Even the approver mentioned it as being a "business location" in their response to the placer. Isn't that the same as commercial?

Edited by Salvelinus

...It amazes me these are still allowed. Even the approver mentioned it as being a "business location" in their response to the placer. Isn't that the same as commercial?

No. Commercial is when the purpose of the cache is to entice you to buy something. A cache that just happens to be placed on land owned by a business isn't commercial.

Kit Fox... I like your quote.

You mean this one:

My post count will never exceed my find count!

reckon we won't hear too much from him for a while, he's getting close!

maybe we should try to draw him into a flame war.

(I know what quote you mean and I agree. just having fun with it)

ARRRRGH hijacking another thread... can't quit.... must post... HELLLLLLLP!

:wub:

I do a lot more lurking than posting. :unsure: I'm going on a puzzle cache marathon on the 18th. I plan on keeping a nice "buffer" between my post ceiling and my find count. I've also resorted to spending more time solving puzzle caches rather than posting here.

Edited by Kit Fox

In Nashville I've found one restaurant cache (GC53F4) that is not a micro, and is very interesting. It's in an ammo-box that is at a local theme restaurant/nightclub with the permission of the property owner. I have also seen a lot of micros hidden in busy fast-food joint parkinglots. I think some cachers enjoy the stealth part of caching, while some don't.