Legend Cx & Metroguide Europe 7

Hi All,

Its been a while since I've been on here, but I've just noticed the new Garmin X series GPS units, and am interested in upgrading to the Legend Cx.

Problem is that when you search for compatible mapping software on the Garmin site, it does not list Metroguide.

As I only got Metroguide Europe v7 last year, I do not particularly want to have to pay for an upgrade to the CitySelect or CityNavigator software that does the fancy live navigating just yet.

Does anyone out there use Metroguide on the Legend Cx?

Is this just a case of Garmin only listing the software that fully utilises all of the GPS routing functions as compatible with this unit?

Many thanks,

Adrian

You Metroguide Europe 7 will display correctly on a Legend Cx

As you already realise, it won't be able to "find address/route-to" on the unit, but everything else will work OK. The road mapping is exactly the same as City Select Eur7.

So you are right - if you don't need auto-routing, why pay for it?

-Wlw

Your Metroguide Europe 7 will display correctly on a Legend Cx

As you already realise, it won't be able to "find address/route-to" on the unit, but everything else will work OK. The road mapping is exactly the same as City Select Eur7.

Just to be clear, the LegendCx with MetroGuide-Eur will do the "find address" part and it'll show you in which direction and at what distance the found address (or POI/intersection/exit/etc.) is located. The only thing that you lose compared to CitySelect-Eur is the auto-routing feature where it determines a path with turn-by-turn directions to the destination.

[And there's even an unofficial work-around for that but you lose some of the find capabilities in the process.]

Your Metroguide Europe 7 will display correctly on a Legend Cx

Just to be clear, the LegendCx with MetroGuide-Eur will do the "find address" part and it'll show you in which direction and at what distance the found address (or POI/intersection/exit/etc.) is located. The only thing that you lose compared to CitySelect-Eur is the auto-routing feature where it determines a path with turn-by-turn directions to the destination.

[And there's even an unofficial work-around for that but you lose some of the find capabilities in the process.]

Thanks Peter & Wildlife Writer, I thought that this might be the case, and is a bit of a crafty move by Garmin only listing the more expensive, all singing and dancing software as compatible with this unit IMHO.

As I will be using the unit for mountain biking, I don't really have much use for the auto routing, though it would be nice on those nights that I go out with the club, end up at a pub, and have to work out how best to get home.

I'm interested by the unofficial workaround, can you point me in the direction of some more details?

I'm already using the free UK Topo data published by the Scottish mountaineering club to provide contour overlays to my metroguide maps, though it does take up quite a bit of extra memory on my current etrex Legend.

Thanks for your help, I've got a bonus due shortly, so I think I'll be investing in a new unit shortly.

Adrian