Virtual Caches And Listing Coordinates

South Surrey Scavengers

There has been some discussion in another thread about the legality of listing coordinates of locations within national parks and other places. I do not see how there can be any law against listing a lat and long of any location on Earth. It may be good marketing however to avoid listing potentially disagreeable locations for a company.

Here's a location: 53N 118W

It's in a National Park. It's also a Degree Confluence. I don't think anyone complained about the Degree Confluence visit.

Okay, what about the location that is 50 metres south of that location? What if I listed that location. It really doesn't matter what location I post coordinates for. Now, marketing wise I can see GC not wanting to post such a location since it exists within a national park. But legally there is nothing stopping them.

So whats a virtual cache? Just a location on the Earth's surface that may or may not have somthing interesting to see there. There is no law preventing the listing of those coordinates. What if I listed the coordinates of every spot on the Earths surface on a 1 km grid. Not much different than the Degree Confluence Project except that there would be a lot more locations. I'm not forcing anyone to go to all those locations. In fact I will state up front that you should respect all private property rights and any local access rights that may exist. Visit or don't visit on your own judgement. Oh, and if you happen to visit one of my locations you can post a note on my website that you visited it.

:laughing: