Opinions On A Missing Tb

Beffums

Hi all,

I'm searching for some advice on a TB of mine that was in a cache that has been muggled. The cache owner has verified that the cache container is completely gone. Some random bits of the cache were found in the general area, but no TB's (there were several in there along with geocoins, sigh).

First, how long would you wait before starting the copy tag? Am I being presumptuous (sp??) by thinking to send out a replacement now, when the cache was reported muggled on Feb 7th? (none of the recent logs mentioned snagging Chilly Willy, so it seems a fairly safe bet that my little penguin was there when the cache disappeared)

Second, after I wait an acceptable period of time, would you a) send out the actual copy tag or :) create a mock-tag to send in it's place? I've seen both on TB's that I've found, and was just wondering what other's thoughts were. I have the copy tag, and now that the number is on the cache page I guess I can always use a mock-tag for my third attempt if need be (I hope not!!).

Third - let me just state up front that I'm 100% not upset with the cache owner. Muggles happen. The cache appears to have been in a perfectly acceptable place and I really hope that the discussion does not turn into a vent against TBs in poor caches, etc etc. I'm just looking for ideas on when and how to send off a new penguin into the world. Luckily, the creche here at home has many many penguins currently, so finding a replacement is definitely possible.

Thanks in advance for the opinions.

edit: someday I will learn how to type

Edited by Beffums

Is the muggled cache location anywhere near you? If so you might want to travel to it and search the surrounding area to see if by chance you could find your TB or others on the ground. If it isn't close then I'm with BlueDuce, give it a month and then release another one.

Is the muggled cache location anywhere near you? If so you might want to travel to it and search the surrounding area to see if by chance you could find your TB or others on the ground. If it isn't close then I'm with BlueDuce, give it a month and then release another one.

Unfortunately, it's about 2.5-3 hours away (not too far, but just far enough to make you debate the trip). I'm debating it for the weekend if the weather clears up though. The cache owner did do a fairly thorough search (or says they did), and since all of the other missing bugs were theirs (and were much tinier), I'm hoping they searched well.

Thanks to all who've given advice so far.