Gpsr And Compass

Poidawg

We very seldom bring a compass with us while on an actual hunt. The GPSr does good when moving so that works whenever we do end up needing one. (actually, my Garmin has the built in electronic compass but i never even turn that thing on)!

Never tried orienteering but from what little i know about it, it sounds like alot of fun.

Yes. My Foretrex 201 lacks an internal magnetic compass, and on steep, rocky terrain it can be hard to get the GPS-derived compass to point consistently in the right direction. So I've set up the navigation page (the one with the pointer) to display distance and bearing. I can then take a quick compass reading to the next landmark.

I carry map and compass as a backup to GPS anyway, so it makes sense to use 'em.

I use my dad's old compass:

Picture10.jpg

Picture9.jpg

It's older than I am, probably made sometime in the 1950's or early 1960's. Still works better than any other compass I've ever used. Totally flawless, fast, liquid needle that settles in exactly and never wavers.

Also, my dad died a few years ago, and this was something I remember from a very early age as bein "daddy's". He'd let me play with it, but I had to be extra careful with it.

It's kind of a reminder of him every time I open it.

I ALWAYS carry a compass on wildeness caches...a good idea is to note your bearing to the cache(a map helps a lot) and use the reverse, or back-bearing as a safety bearing. That way...should your gps fail, or your forget to mark your car or start point, all you have to do is back-bearing all the way back. You can also note bearings to nearby streets or lakes or any prominent features...once you know where you are, you can always get back...remember a compass paired with a map is worth its weight in gold.

Evil Homer

Edited by Evil Homer

We placed a cache based on the very concept of the compass/GPS symbiosis question. It's GCKFMV My Dad's Compass . I got the idea from the fact that my Dad's old Boy Scout compass (it's a Silva) got us out of deep trouble on several occasions when our GPS lost satellite contact (for various reasons, be it low batteries or too many trees, or a snowstorm). A few of these "lost signal" situations happened on night caches too when we were deep into the spooky forest, which of course raises the :laughing: !PANIC! :( feeling that one extra notch...of course it helps if you know how to use a compass BEFORE you walk into the National Park at night! :unsure:

63ccf370-ca85-498b-a1c8-5d0086864cad.jpg

Edited by TinyMoon & The Pumpkin King

Cyclometh,

My father has a compass just like the one your father left you. It's great to see someone with similar memories from childhood. Having said that, I carry a compass (not that one) with me at all times in the woods, no matter how long or short a hike it is. Some things in life are constant; Death, Taxes, Getting stuck at every light on the one morning you absolutley had to be on time and.......A trusty magnetic compass.

It's cheap insurance that you'll find your way out.

Just my $.02,

-Cracker

I have a compass but don't usually carry it with me unless I'm headed for a large wilderness area. I usually have pretty good sense of direction, but I do get turned around once and a while.

once asked of daniel boone if he was ever lost, after scratching his head for a while, he replied, nope, a might bit bewildered for 1 or 2 months at a time, but never lost! :P

I carry one as well even though I'm not very good using it. Usually by the time we get to the cache area and I take a reading, adjust the compass and start looking I hear "Found It!" from my wife :P

Something else I'm doing before any hunt where it's more than a couple hundred feet from the car to the cache is marking a waypoint for the car. Last week we went a short 3/10 of a mile away from car to cache and I'm so glad I had the waypoint. Without it we would have been lost for sure.

I had an old lensatic compass for years and years. Took it on climbs all over the Hawaiian Islands, the Applachians, Death Valley, etc. Of course it got lost in one of my moves. The only items that get stolen on moves are those with sentimental value...

I was looking at eBay and found a few US military surplus lensatic compasses, so I'll probably pick one up in a week or so.

I do carry a compass with me as a backup. I mainly do more remote caches (soon to get a bit more remote) so it is nice to know it is there just in case it is needed. When my kids get a bit older I'll teach them how to use it. Right now they are totally keyed on the cool electronic GPSr's :P

I was looking at eBay and found a few US military surplus lensatic compasses...

In AF survival school in the 80s I dropped one of those GI lensatic compasses down a gopher hole and couldn't retrieve it. Reported the loss and had to pay for the darn thing. Don't recall the amount, but I do recall that it really pinched at the time. If only I could have bought an Ebay replacement rather than paying the full-Uncle-Sam cost... And invested the savings in Microsoft...

Yes, I bring one and use it all the time. When I am always looking at my GPS I get turned around a bit. Always need to know what direction I am facing. :P

I also create caches that might require the cacher to move 120 feet 132 degrees from north. Or what ever direction I choose.

So yes I always have one.

I've never used anything but a lensatic compass before except to take really simple bearings. I wouldn't know how to put a different type to work. :P

All that time in the artillery, I guess. When I'm taking a bearing I still have to keep myself from doing it in MILS.