Is "expert Gps" S/w Program Any Good?

Has anyone ever used the software program "Expert GPS" mapping program? See expertgps.com. It's "only" $59.99- a bargain, it seems, if it's any good. Would appreciate any feedback on this program.

Yeah, its a good bit of software. It is stable and well featured. I personally think it excels in making uploading and downloading data to and from your gps's a breeze, especially if you have multiple gps's. They have trial download.

Though I think i bought mine for $40 back in the day, $60 seems rather steep.

And along a similar vien, be sure to check out Topofusion :) I own both and find myself using expertgps to download stuff from my units and topofusion for management, analysis and editing and such.

It's good. I think it offers one of the best track editing set of tools around. Dan, the author, hangs out here and is very responsive to suggestions. Because it downloads maps and photos from the internet, broadband enhances it's usefulness.

The map database it uses is old. I actually like this, because sometimes I don't want to see how things are but rather how they were years ago.

Edit: as mentioned, it is trialware.

Edited by embra

A couple months ago, I upgraded ExpertGPS from an ancient version I had (1.3something?) to the latest at the time (2.1?). I absolutely LOVED the old version, but the new version ran slow as molasses. It downloads map pieces at a snails pace and is very slugglish when trying to zoom in or out or pan around (can see it using tons of CPU in Windows task manager). I've got a 3.8ghz PC with 2GB ram, so it's not my PC. IMO, it's pretty much unusable; I'll stick with the old version. At the time, I had found a note buried on the website stating that the software was pretty much rewritten in 2.0. So I suppose it lost some optimizations in that rewrite. Unless/until that's corrected, I don't think it's worth it.

But I believe the software is free to use for the first 30 days after installation (at least it used to be), so try it and decide for yourself.

Edited by Jeeters