Forst Gps $200 Budget

kfons

I'm looking for my first GPS with a budget of $200.

I will mainly use it for Geocaching with the kids but it would also be nice for hiking on climbing trips.

I was looking at the Magellan Explorist 210. It seems to have a lot of features for the price and come with a USB cable. I found a Garmin eTrex Legend C Handheld GPS Navigator (24 MB) on sale for $200.

Any help on choosing one of these, or what other units would people recomend with a total cost under $200 including a USB cable or SD card interface with a PC.

I'd love to get one before the weekend as it is going to be nearly 50 and would love to get out with the kids and have some fun with it.

Kevin

Edited by kfons

I'm looking for my first GPS with a budget of $200.

I will mainly use it for Geocaching with the kids but it would also be nice for hiking on climbing trips.

I was looking at the Magellan Explorist 210. It seems to have a lot of features for the price and come with a USB cable. I found a Garmin eTrex Legend C Handheld GPS Navigator (24 MB) on sale for $200.

Any help on choosing one of these, or what other units would people recomend with a total cost under $200 including a USB cable or SD card interface with a PC.

I'd love to get one before the weekend as it is going to be nearly 50 and would love to get out with the kids and have some fun with it.

Kevin

Explorist 210 is right around $200 so you may need to look around a little, but excellent choice! Very good satellite reception.

Well I bought the Garmin eTrex Legend C Handheld GPS Navigator (24 MB) at Amazon for $179.99 Shipped. It is on sale for $199, free shipping and using the code TOOLDAYS you can get it for $179.99 total. I thought the deal was too good to pass up which means that it will most likely go on sales for $50 less today - LOL

Kevin

Well I bought the Garmin eTrex Legend C Handheld GPS Navigator (24 MB) at Amazon for $179.99 Shipped. It is on sale for $199, free shipping and using the code TOOLDAYS you can get it for $179.99 total. I thought the deal was too good to pass up which means that it will most likely go on sales for $50 less today - LOL

Kevin

NO :laughing: Missed out on this deal. I've decided that I really dont need a CX but its hard not to when its just $50 more than a C. For $179 I'd jump all over a C.

I have the Legend C and really like it. The color is great, easy to use, holds a signal well. Plenty of used software out there for it at good prices. I've got 3 of them and pick up the Legend C 95 percent of the time while one of the others comes as a backup. My only complaint is the small size could be a problem if you need glasses. I can't read it with out them, but can my other 2. For the money it has a lot of features, and the USB is fast for getting wapoints.

SwampYankee

I just bought a Legend C for $199 (after debating about getting a CX for a while). The TOOLDAYS code does not work now. I think the code was dedicated for TOOLS only on Amazon, but amazon must have let a few lucky people slip through with their purchases. I have a laptop, so I could use the laptop in the field to make changes, instead having a memory card ($50 for slot, $30 for a better size, $20 for more software)

Amazon only had three left when I made my $199 purchase.

The next step up is the GPSMAP 60CX for about $150 more. As this unit has the advanced SIRF chipset for better reception under tree cover, and it has the larger screen, and it has the memory card slot.

I almost bought the Lowrance unit (100M) with voice autorouting, and large screen; but then my credit card hiccuped (had a failure) which I took as divine providence. I canceled that purchase and went with the legend C (I just sold my old Legend original).

Kevin

I just bought a Legend C for $199 (after debating about getting a CX for a while). The TOOLDAYS code does not work now. I think the code was dedicated for TOOLS only on Amazon, but amazon must have let a few lucky people slip through with their purchases. I have a laptop, so I could use the laptop in the field to make changes, instead having a memory card ($50 for slot, $30 for a better size, $20 for more software)

Amazon only had three left when I made my $199 purchase.

The next step up is the GPSMAP 60CX for about $150 more. As this unit has the advanced SIRF chipset for better reception under tree cover, and it has the larger screen, and it has the memory card slot.

I almost bought the Lowrance unit (100M) with voice autorouting, and large screen; but then my credit card hiccuped (had a failure) which I took as divine providence. I canceled that purchase and went with the legend C (I just sold my old Legend original).

I went ahead an bit the bullet on the legend C cause Amazon offered me free 2nd day air. If/when I do need expandable memory I'd upgrade to a 60cx or similar.