I Want To Make A Cache At A Level 5 Terrain

I want to make a cash at a level 5 train shouuld i make them rock climb to find it :P plz reply

I am assuming, per the forum topic, that you mean that you are considering placing a geocache with a level 5 Terrain rating, and that it might involve rock-climbing. If so, I would say: Go for it! There are plenty such caches, just as there are plenty of other Terrain 5 caches in places such as:

• underwater, accessible only to those with SCUBA or snorkeling gear
  • deep in storm drains (x)
  • 25 feet above the ground in trees and up lamp posts (x)
  • over two miles under the sea, at the mouth of a hydrothermal vent, accessible only via a mini-submarine capable of diving to great depths
  • deep in caves
  • on the steel structure under abandoned railroad bridges, high over a river gorge (x)
  • on a rotting abandoned wooden bridge 20 feet above a swamp
  • in abandoned nuclear reactor containment buildings which are contaminated with radioactive and chemical waste (x)
  • in nearly-inaccessible, dark, dingy and dirty underground tunnels in a city park where drug dealing, drug use, sex cruising and prostitution are rampant. (x)

In fact, we currently have successful cache placements at each of the list items above which are marked with an (x) at the end of the item.

The big thing, at least to my way of thinking, in such placments is to be sure to:

• assign the appropriate Difficulty and Terrain rating to the cache
  • use the appropriate attribute icons on the cache listing page to disclose hazards
  • disclose hazards, risks and gear needed, as appropriate, on the cache listing page
  • completely disclose to the reviewer, via reviewer notes, everything that a good and competent and curious reviewer would want to know about this cache and its placement. In other words, err on the side of telling the reviewer too much rather than too little, and make sure that there are no secrets, i.e., pieces of information which you are hiding from the reviewer. The latter will cause your reviewer and other reviewers to lose confidence and trust in you very quickly, and then you will have a devil of a time even getting 1/1 cache listings approved and published.

If you wish to get an idea of how some placers of Terrain 5 caches disclose hazards, cautions, risks and equipment needed on their cache listing pages, feel free to take a look at the listings for our Psycho Urban Cache series, particularly for #2 and higher.

Lastly, if you have never placed a cache before, rather than jump right into placing a Terrain 5 cache, it may help to build reviewer trust and confidence if you first exhibit competence in placing and listing some lo local lower-rated (Difficulty and Terrain rating, that is) caches first, just so the reviewers can get a feel for your style and your level of trustworthiness.

Place a 4.5 terrain instead. They are usually harder then a 5. A 5 star terrain just means you need special equiptment to reach the cache. Something like a boat, SCUBA gear, rappelling, etc. If you already own and know how to use the special equiptment, it's probably not all that hard to reach the cache. Now, a real terrain 4.5; thats a cache! Extreme hiking, 10 miles, up hill, both ways!

A 5 star terrain just means you need special equiptment to reach the cache. Something like a boat, SCUBA gear, rappelling, etc.

A level 5 can be done without any special equipment.

According to Clayjar.

"Requires specialized equipment and knowledge or experience, (boat, 4WD, rock climbing, SCUBA, etc) or is otherwise extremely difficult.

I have several level 5 caches that require the use of a jeep. But once you get there, big deal, take a small hike.

But it is possible to make them a level 5, make them hike up one big hill, hike down, drive to another hill, hike up again and then hike down again. And put about 12 waypoints between the start and the finish, make the altitude greater than 9,000 ft. and it will be extremely difficult

I wonder if a backpack full of the necessary supplies. And the knowledge how to use what you pack to keep you alive while hiking in the backcountry of CO. be considered special equipment. Or will a vest and fanny pack be sufficent equipment.

The whole idea of rating terrain difficulty can be interesting at times. I recently found a cache rated 3 for terrain. I thought that was too high as it was just a short easy hike up to the cache. (1/2 mile). I am middle aged and do not do regular exercise and it took just a few minutes to get up there and find it without even breaking a sweat. Later when logging it, I saw that others had commented on the difficulty of the hike. One had even suggested it be rated higher!

Edited by Cheminer Will