Greasemonkey Scripts

Hi. Just started using Firefox and discovered these useful little scripts.Got the ones adding maps working OK but am having trouble with the one linking to Google Directions. I have added my home lat & long but when I ask for the directions it starts me off in Abbey Hulton whereas I live in Newcastle, some 8 or nine miles away. I know I sometimes work near Abbey Hulton but even Google can't work that one out can it? Is it just a limitation of the script or am I doing something wrong with inputting my details? Any help gratefully rec'd.

Thanks

RayAl&boys

Hi. Just started using Firefox and discovered these useful little scripts.Got the ones adding maps working OK but am having trouble with the one linking to Google Directions. I have added my home lat & long but when I ask for the directions it starts me off in Abbey Hulton whereas I live in Newcastle, some 8 or nine miles away. I know I sometimes work near Abbey Hulton but even Google can't work that one out can it? Is it just a limitation of the script or am I doing something wrong with inputting my details? Any help gratefully rec'd.

Thanks

RayAl&boys

Information

In Firefox go to:

Tools > User Script Commands > Change GC Google Direction settings

Edited to say whilst on a cache page

Edited by Moote.

Thanks

RayAl&boys

Information

In Firefox go to:

Thanks Moote.

that is where I went to input my home coords, which are N53 03 076 W002 15 649(input as -2 15 649)

The google directions page qoutes the start coords as 53 1 50 74 and -2 9 23 36

I dont understand why it comes up differently, unless that is as close as the system can get, which seems unlikely as using my postcode on google maps takes me straight to my road. Incidentally the destination coords show up differently as well.

Any other pointers?

Thanks

Thanks Moote.

that is where I went to input my home coords, which are N53 03 076 W002 15 649(input as -2 15 649)

I dont understand why it comes up differently, unless that is as close as the system can get, which seems unlikely as using my postcode on google maps takes me straight to my road. Incidentally the destination coords show up differently as well.

Any other pointers?

Thanks

Information

Unfortunately the format "Degrees minutes decimal seconds" does not work. N53 03 076 W002 15 649

You will have to enter the coordinates in either:

"Signed Decimal" format 53.05127, -2.26082

or

"Degree decimal minute" format N53.05127, W2.26082

Moote

PS All the given coordinates it the above examples are for the same place

Edited by Moote.

Thanks Moote.

Any other pointers?

Thanks

Information

Unfortunately the format "Degrees minutes decimal seconds" does not work. N53 03 076 W002 15 649

or

Moote

Thanks again Moote.

1st the good news.I have entered the coords in both ways you suggest/advise and both work.

The bad news. When I request directions it still gives my start point as some 8/10 miles away from where I actually live ( on the other side of the Potteries).

Any more pointers.

Thanks in anticipation

RayAl&boys

Thanks Moote.

Any other pointers?

Thanks

Information

or

Moote

Thanks again Moote.

1st the good news.I have entered the coords in both ways you suggest/advise and both work.

The bad news. When I request directions it still gives my start point as some 8/10 miles away from where I actually live ( on the other side of the Potteries).

Any more pointers.

Thanks in anticipation

RayAl&boys

Information

I have just done this task using the specified coordinates; and the start position corespondes to the same point in Memory Map, MultiMap, Street Map and Google maps. Are you sure that you have the correct home coordinates?

Thanks Moote.

Any other pointers?

Thanks

Information

or

Moote

Thanks again Moote.

Any more pointers.

Thanks in anticipation

RayAl&boys

Information

I have just done this task using the specified coordinates; and the start position corespondes to the same point in Memory Map, MultiMap, Street Map and Google maps. Are you sure that you have the correct home coordinates?

Thanks again Moote for your continued help.

My home coords are53.03076,-2.15649. Mapsource & a postcode search on multimap confirm this (thereabouts)

The google directions page shows my correct coords in the search box but below where it says start address it always quotes 53.15074,-2.92336 which shows up as Monsal Grove, Abbey Hulton.

Any ideas? I hope it's not something very stupid that I am doing.

Thanks again

RayAl&boys

OK not sure if the road names are correct, but they are the same waypoint on Memory Map and Google maps. Yes I see that the name is Monsal Grove could it just be named incorrect? How far is your house from the location given on Google maps? Is your GPS setup correctly with the correct datum?

OK not sure if the road names are correct, but they are the same waypoint on Memory Map and Google maps. Yes I see that the name is Monsal Grove could it just be named incorrect? How far is your house from the location given on Google maps? Is your GPS setup correctly with the correct datum?

Thanks for your further input Moote.

As the GPS/mapsource flies I live just under 5 miles away from Monsal Grove (9 miles by road) (the other side of the Potteries)

As regards the GPS setup - position format is hddd.mm/mmm and datum is WGS84.

Checked my coords this morning. They came out at 53.03073,-2.15654 which is pretty close to what I have entered into the script. My post code is ST5 7TQ. A post code for an address on Monsal Grove is ST1 6SG.

Over to you for any fresh ideas.

Thanks again for your time

RayAl&boys

In Firefox go to:

Anybody now why I don't have the "user script commands" option in Tools? Do I need to install something else first?

Steve.

Hi Steve

You need to be on a cache page and logged in as well. If everything else is loaded then this should work. Now can you help me with my problem?

RayAl&boys

As the GPS/mapsource flies I live just under 5 miles away from Monsal Grove (9 miles by road) (the other side of the Potteries)

Checked my coords this morning. They came out at 53.03073,-2.15654 which is pretty close to what I have entered into the script. My post code is ST5 7TQ. A post code for an address on Monsal Grove is ST1 6SG.

RayAl&boys

Information

Here is a MultiMap link to the coordinates you have provided

http://www.multimap.com/map/browse.cgi?lat...ale=5000&icon=x

you will see that this link is in fact Monsal Grove and the coordinates are

53.0308, -2.1565

and these very closely match the ones you recently took

53.03073,-2.15654

Google maps also give this result as do several other online mapping sites; Memory Map on my PC also gets to the same location.

I have compared these results with some know trig points in and around your area and all and without fail Multimap Google Maps etc appear to be correct. I really can only think that the issue is with your base coordinates.

The postcode you have given is around the following coordinates

http://www.multimap.com/map/browse.cgi?lat...le=10000&icon=x

53.0511, -2.2607

I can only say that the coordinates you have given if they are true WGS84 are for Monsal Grove

RayAl&boys

Information

Here is a MultiMap link to the coordinates you have provided

http://www.multimap.com/map/browse.cgi?lat...ale=5000&icon=x

you will see that this link is in fact Monsal Grove and the coordinates are

53.0308, -2.1565

and these very closely match the ones you recently took

53.03073,-2.15654

Google maps also give this result as do several other online mapping sites; Memory Map on my PC also gets to the same location.

I have compared these results with some know trig points in and around your area and all and without fail Multimap Google Maps etc appear to be correct. I really can only think that the issue is with your base coordinates.

The postcode you have given is around the following coordinates

http://www.multimap.com/map/browse.cgi?lat...le=10000&icon=x

53.0511, -2.2607

I can only say that the coordinates you have given if they are true WGS84 are for Monsal Grove

Information

I think I see where you are going wrong, it looks like you are converting the formad DDMM.mmm into DD.ddddd, by just removing the decimal point in MM.mmm. You need to use the decimal format 53.0511, -2.2607 to gain the correct location

Moote's assumption is perfectly correct. Following this through, it would appear, from the co-ords that you give, that you live in or very close to Wimberry Drive.

In one of your mails you gaive the following information:

"As regards the GPS setup - position format is hddd.mm/mmm and datum is WGS84.

Checked my coords this morning. They came out at 53.03073,-2.15654 which is pretty close to what I have entered into the script. My post code is ST5 7TQ."

The positions are in the format (d)dd mm.mmm and it is the decimal point that is fooling you. What you are seeing is 53° 03.073'N; 002° 15.654'W. Converting this position to degrees and decimals of a degree gives 53.05122°N; 002.25940°W. If you plot this position it will put you in Wimberry Drive.

Edit to add:

The position you have been keying in 53.03073°N;002.15654°W equates to 53° 01.844'N; 002° 03.392'W which equates to Monsal Grove.

Edited by Master Mariner

Moote's assumption is perfectly correct. Following this through, it would appear, from the co-ords that you give, that you live in or very close to Wimberry Drive.

In one of your mails you gaive the following information:

"As regards the GPS setup - position format is hddd.mm/mmm and datum is WGS84.

Checked my coords this morning. They came out at 53.03073,-2.15654 which is pretty close to what I have entered into the script. My post code is ST5 7TQ."

The positions are in the format (d)dd mm.mmm and it is the decimal point that is fooling you. What you are seeing is 53° 03.073'N; 002° 15.654'W. Converting this position to degrees and decimals of a degree gives 53.05122°N; 002.25940°W. If you plot this position it will put you in Wimberry Drive.

Edit to add:

The position you have been keying in 53.03073°N;002.15654°W equates to 53° 01.844'N; 002° 03.392'W which equates to Monsal Grove.

:anicute: SORTED. Many thanks Moote & Master Mariner for all the help and guidance.

I really was beginning to think the only solution was to move to 'Monsal Grove', which would be a pity because we're all very happy living where we are.

Thanks again