2006 British Columbia Geocoin

Landsharkz

Thanks for all your interest - your enthusiasm for our 2006 British Columbia Geocoin design is certainly reassuring!

We've started a spreadsheet, and from all the posts and e-mails, we have entered your name and quantity if you've stated it (Eg: I'd like 2, 3, 54, etc).

Please put me down for 3 - dang we gotta get an Alberta geocoin going!

Please put me down for 3 - dang we gotta get an Alberta geocoin going!

Wouldn't the GAS coin cover that?

Not really. The GAS coin covers mainly the South and SE protion of the province. Calgary Cachers have their own coin for their area. So far no one has has endeavoured to make a provincial coin although I suspect someone is thinking about it right now. Right guys??

I have effectively stopped geocoin collecting -- but being born and raised in BC (for 30+ years) I am down for 10 if you will let me have that many. I want one to keep forever and ever and 9 to place into caches (see my "Woss" caches!).

If you cannot allow me to have 10, then anything is appreciated. At the very least, please let me have one of these fellows.

I have effectively stopped geocoin collecting -- but being born and raised in BC (for 30+ years) I am down for 10 if you will let me have that many. I want one to keep forever and ever and 9 to place into caches (see my "Woss" caches!).

If you cannot allow me to have 10, then anything is appreciated. At the very least, please let me have one of these fellows.

We're very happy to accommodate the cachers who live in BC, or in your case were born and raised here. Your request is approved and entered in our database!

FYI, the final artwork for the coin went to the manufacturer yesterday, we should have a sample to approve in 7-10 days and then it's on to the final production run!

A trackable 2006 British Columbia geocoin will be available to order in the near future. This will be BC's first provincial geocoin! We are in the final stages of getting quotes and determining the quantity required; please contact us for more information. Thank you.

I'd like 4 please.

Hopefully this is not OT, but as an ex-BC resident (one day I will get back to Salt Spring!) I thougth it would be cool if you explained the design on the front a little.

The symbol is of a Killer Whale and the native art is also of a Killer Whale. I'll leave it to the designer to discuss the meaning of the killer whale to the natives and the origin of the art (band, location, etc).

When I lived in Whistler, I had a part-time job in a high-end art gallery specializing in native art (the owner was Haida) and the Killer Whales were always a very popular item! (not as popular as a certain Norval M., but still very popular)

Hopefully this is not OT, but as an ex-BC resident (one day I will get back to Salt Spring!) I thougth it would be cool if you explained the design on the front a little.

The symbol is of a Killer Whale and the native art is also of a Killer Whale. I'll leave it to the designer to discuss the meaning of the killer whale to the natives and the origin of the art (band, location, etc).

When I lived in Whistler, I had a part-time job in a high-end art gallery specializing in native art (the owner was Haida) and the Killer Whales were always a very popular item! (not as popular as a certain Norval M., but still very popular)

I've forwarded your request to the designer of the front of the coin and hope to have a reply to share with you soon.

I received this paragraph back from the artist who designed the orca images a few moments ago...

"The whale image is a simplified Haida design. I had to simplify it for reproduction on the coin. In Native stories the whale was a sea-going manifestation of the Wolf (a great hunter). It was said that whales had the power to overtake canoes and turn the inhabitants of the canoe into whales. This I believe is one of the reasons of the great spiritual bond between whales & humans. Like Luna (the whale that has been in the news lately) wandering whales were believed to be transformed human spirits in search of their human loved ones."

Bump

Any more news????

Well yes...since you asked...

We are expecting coin samples for us to approve by late next week, or more likely early the following week. We had to send the art back for a couple of revisions with the factory artists; they'd put a 'modified' curve in the whale's tail and changed our dogwoods (BC's Provincial Flower), to magnolias :mad:.

Thanks for all your interest - your enthusiasm for our 2006 British Columbia Geocoin design is certainly reassuring!

We've started a spreadsheet, and from all the posts and e-mails, we have entered your name and quantity if you've stated it (Eg: I'd like 2, 3, 54, etc).

Uuummm...am I on the list?

Landshrkz

I responded to your e-mail request for contact info. But still haven't got an invoice. Have you sent them out yet? Sorry to be a pest, but I just don't want to miss this coin. Thanks

Icebreaker

I have you down on the list Icebreaker :D . We are waiting to see the sample coin before we invoice anyone. Look for an invoice by the end of next week. We'll post a picture of the sample on our website (www.landsharkz.ca) and let everyone know via this thread when it's there to be viewed. After that we will begin the invoicing process and we'll post here when all the invoicing is done. If at that time, someone didn't get an invoice, please let us know.