Plans For March 11, 2006

AndrewRJ

I have wanted to do this hike for a while and now that I have a GPS that won’t loose signal under light tree cover I am going to go do it.

March 11, 2006 8AM start time at Hiker hat trick # 1. 4 to 5 hour minimum

There is limited parking but I know where plenty of other parking is so that shouldn’t be a problem

Anyone is welcome to join me, in fact the more the merrier. There are several other caches near the top that it looks like we can branch out and get.

Here are the Hiker Hat Trick caches

Hikers Hat Trick # 1 - On the Way to Poo Poo Point

Hikers Hat Trick # 2 - Almost To Poo Poo Point

Hikers Hat Trick # 3 - On the Way Back

Edited by andrewrj

I've done the first two, and would love to do the third, but I'm skiing this weekend.

Your time estimate is about right, realistically. Otoh, MarcusArelius and I decided to do this series one evening after work a couple years ago - we had about 3 hours total (6-9 pm), including a couple other caches along the way, and it was definitely dark when we got back. That's why I haven't done #3, we had to bail on it to get back - silly us, we didn't take flashlights - and we were basically running toward the end to get back while we could still see the bumps in the steep trail. MA also claimed to hear a cougar/bear along the way in the twilight. :anicute:

I've done the first two, and would love to do the third, but I'm skiing this weekend.

Your time estimate is about right, realistically. Otoh, MarcusArelius and I decided to do this series one evening after work a couple years ago - we had about 3 hours total (6-9 pm), including a couple other caches along the way, and it was definitely dark when we got back. That's why I haven't done #3, we had to bail on it to get back - silly us, we didn't take flashlights - and we were basically running toward the end to get back while we could still see the bumps in the steep trail. MA also claimed to hear a cougar/bear along the way in the twilight. :)

Just don't mention how we got lost at the end... Sssshhh! :)

Care to post coordinates to the other parking area just in case?

47° 30.010 W 122° 01.297

Basically the plan at this point is to drop a car or two off at HHT #1 and get the info for the final. Then we will drop other cars off at Paraglider's Secret #2 Micro Style at the cords I just posted and head up the trailhead there and hike back to the first cars. This will alow us to shave a few miles off the trip and grab a few extra caches at the same time.

I will have my FRS radio on that morning just in case.

I have wanted to do this hike for a while and now that I have a GPS that won’t loose signal under light tree cover I am going to go do it.

March 11, 2006 8AM start time at Hiker hat trick # 1. 4 to 5 hour minimum

There is limited parking but I know where plenty of other parking is so that shouldn’t be a problem

Anyone is welcome to join me, in fact the more the merrier. There are several other caches near the top that it looks like we can branch out and get.

Here are the Hiker Hat Trick caches

Hikers Hat Trick # 1 - On the Way to Poo Poo Point

Hikers Hat Trick # 2 - Almost To Poo Poo Point

Hikers Hat Trick # 3 - On the Way Back

Hoping to get permission from Mama Cita to do this. Are the other caches going to be whatever we feel like, or is there going to be a planned list? Any ideas on whether or not 8 year old KidAce would be okay on this trip?

Cheers,

Poppa J

Here are the 10 caches that seem do able. Several of these we will walk right be and others are on side spurs that as a group we can decide to get or not.

HHT #1

HHT #2

HHT #3

Blue Sky

Logger's Loot

Tiger Mt. Clear Cut

Paragliders Secret #2 Micro Style

The Short Route to Poo Poo Point

Secret Squirrel Hording Stash

Great day for up

Or in convient Bookmark form

As far as an 8 year old, if you think he can make it bring him. I know that some kids can run you into the ground and be ready for more. The initial trail is steep but the rest is downhillish to the car, we are not going to be power walking up this hill. :D

Sounds like a fun collection and I would like to come.. but I don't know if I'd be in shape to do it. Also, I don't have a car so someone would have to pick me up somewhere.

What type of weather is being forecasted for the area? Last time I went on a hike (cougar mtn with frodob and dynamitecache), I overpacked and was miserable by the end. At least I have better hiking boots now (that won't cramp my feet).

Sounds like a fun collection and I would like to come.. but I don't know if I'd be in shape to do it. Also, I don't have a car so someone would have to pick me up somewhere.

What type of weather is being forecasted for the area? Last time I went on a hike (cougar mtn with frodob and dynamitecache), I overpacked and was miserable by the end. At least I have better hiking boots now (that won't cramp my feet).

A big area of low pressure off the Washington coastline is forecast to continue moving south over the weekend. It will take most of the moisture away from us and push it down to California. So we'll be dry but cool Saturday and Sunday. Morning lows will be around freezing with afternoon highs in the middle to upper 40s under partly sunny skies.

Also, I'm no longer tentative. I'm laid up at home now with a bad back.

Was it really nine miles? Whew! Puff, puff! Thanks for organizing the hike. I really enjoyed it and the good company. Mange Tusen Takk!

3/12 note - I mapped it more like six miles. Still fun!

hmm that is interesting, did you have a continuous log? I just wonder since, as I was telling you on the trail, I have a lot of wander when we started looking. It hope it didn't wander 50 percent of the total we hiked. Looking at the greens trail map it looks like we hiked about 7.6 miles. Oh well it was still fun either distance.

Edited by andrewrj

Yah, I'm not sure which was right. I simply used mapquest and followed my track log more or less using the ruller tool. Not an exact tool by any stretch of the imagination but it provides a good estimate. Thinking back at the sign post on top of Poo Poo Point, it said that it was 4.5 miles back to the HS trailhead. So I think we went somewhere between 6 and 8 miles.