Logging Your Own Cache

I am about to place my first cache, i am wondering if it is ok to log it as found on the web site even thouht I did not actually "Find It." Just hoping for some feedback.

It seems as if you answered your own question. You didn't actually find it. So why would you log it as a find?

Just looking for some feed back no need to get all snipy.

It's very difficult to read "snippy" in an online forum...unless you know the tone the "snippy poster" normally takes.

So far I haven't seen anything here I would call snippy. Rather, the question is being raise, "how do you find something that you yourself placed?" That's the typical response when this question is raised.

I recall an instance several years ago where a cacher logged his own cache as a legitimate find. I think the cache had washed away in a flood. He found it quite a far distance away.

I'm too lazy to search the forums right now...sorry.

Bret

I am about to place my first cache, i am wondering if it is ok to log it as found on the web site even thouht I did not actually "Find It." Just hoping for some feedback.

It seems as if you answered your own question. You didn't actually find it. So why would you log it as a find?

Just looking for some feed back no need to get all snipy.

The issue has been addressed many, many times. Some folks get tired of answering yet again.

To answer your query, no, don't log your own cache as a find. I wouldn't log one of mine as a find under any circumstances, but as CYBret points out some do.

To answer your query, no, don't log your own cache as a find. I wouldn't log one of mine as a find under any circumstances, but as CYBret points out some do.

I've been kind of wondering how to handle an unusual situation. Another cacher left the area and asked us to adopt several of his caches. One of them we never even looked for, but obviously now we will need to visit it for maintenance. As others have said, the numbers aren't that important and I probably won't log it that way, but would it be reasonable to log the cache as a find the first time we go out to check on it?

Edited by ikim & noj
As others have said, the numbers aren't that important and I probably won't log it that way, but would it be reasonable to log the cache as a find the first time we go out to check on it?

If I found it like normal, I would. The end result is the same as a similar situation we were in, caches we own than we've previously logged. That's because we ended up adopting them after we found them.

The fine distinction, I feel, is if you place it, you don't find it.

But like I said before, if I place a cache and even if I have to go and hunt it down to put it back where it belongs, I won't log it as a find.

I've been kind of wondering how to handle an unusual situation. Another cacher left the area and asked us to adopt several of his caches. One of them we never even looked for, but obviously now we will need to visit it for maintenance. As others have said, the numbers aren't that important and I probably won't log it that way, but would it be reasonable to log the cache as a find the first time we go out to check on it?

I think its reaonable to log a find on those caches. Its not like you placed it and know where it is.

The website does not prevent you from logging your own cache. Perhaps this is because of the many "special" circumstances that can occur. For example, you adopt someone else's cache and then go find it. Some people tend to get snippy when this sort of question is asked. The problem is that some geocachers are "puritans". They have a clear vision of what it means to find a cache and there are no exceptions. They tend to answer these question very brusquely. The best advice that I can give a newbie (other than don't ask in the forums :P) is a find log means you found the cache. If you're not sure, you can post a note.

Logging your own cache would be like.....taking your sister to the prom! :P

Chuck

In this case, wouldn't a better analogy be taking a new step-sister that I've never met to the prom? Not sure how that would come about, but it still seems a closer parallel.

Someone once used the answer to this as their signature line for a while:

Finding your own caches is kind of like finding your own easter eggs. You can do it, but people will begin to talk about you. :)

Of course the corollary is that Easter is the #1 most popular holiday at the Alheizemer's Treatment facility for that very reason. :P

Edited by wimseyguy

Our friend hid a cache, and we were with him when he hid it. We thought it would be cheating if we logged it right away, so we waited a year before doing so. Even though we saw exsactly where the cache was placed at the time, when we went back we had to search alittle. :D

The problem is that some geocachers are "puritans". They have a clear vision of what it means to find a cache and there are no exceptions.

Since you always seem to have a need for labelling people, lets just call us "traditionalists". In the beginning the sport was about finding caches and the point of the logs were to relate the results of your search to the rest of the community. Find a cache and you log "Found it" , don't find it and you log a "Didn't find it".

Over the years some people have hijacked the concept of a "find" and decided that it can mean all kinds of things. Often that doesn't even involve finding a cache. Since we're tossing labels around we can call this faction the "subursives".

Edited by briansnat

From someone smart, posted on another thread:

Ways to cheat at geocaching:

Log a cache as found that you saw but didn’t, wouldn’t, or couldn’t retrieve.

Log a cache as found when all you found was the place where you’re sure it used to be.

Log a cache as found when you made a darn good attempt.

Log a cache as found when you clearly didn’t, but were given permission to do so by the cache owner.

Log an event (or any cache for that matter) multiple times.

Log a cache as found that you hid, or helped hide.

"Owning" the cache means little, the important thing is the hiding. If you took part in the hide, it's kind of silly to log it as "found".

JMHO

The problem is that some geocachers are "puritans". They have a clear vision of what it means to find a cache and there are no exceptions.

Since you always seem to have a need for labelling people, lets just call us "traditionalists". In the beginning the sport was about finding caches and the point of the logs were to relate the results of your search to the rest of the community. Find a cache and you log "Found it" , don't find it and you log a "Didn't find it".

The "puritan" label is meant in fun. In another thread, I satirically wrote rules based on what the website allows you to log rather than what you should log. But I added what the "purist" would have you do. Perhaps I should have used "traditionalist" there instead; there was a lot of objection to the use of "purist". Huge Jazz changed my "purist" to "puritan" and I liked that as I think the point is to have fun and not to worry so much if its okay to log a find in some particular situation. Perhaps I'm not as subversive as you think. You failed to quote the rest of my post where I give the following advice

....a find log means you found the cache

You might as well go ahead and tell me im being snippy too because I don't understand why your question was even asked. The answer is obvious. :lol:

That being said,, it doesnt matter one iota or affect anyone else whether you log a find on it or not. :laughing:

...In another thread, I satirically wrote rules based on what the website allows you to log rather than what you should log...

YES! You totally cracked me up...

:laughing:

As far as logging your own cache, I would normally say "no" except... I am guilty of doing it! Well, sort of anyway...

One half of Team Snorkasaurus (me) created and hid a cache, the other half (spouse) had to find and log it without any help. It was done in a tongue-in-cheek kinda way and was LOTS of fun! Since the other half of the team did actually hunt and successfully find the cache we felt no conflict in logging it. If we had both placed it then neither of us would have been able to "find" it. I am sure there are folks who wouldn't agree with that, but that's O.K. The point is do what YOU believe to be the correct thing and don't worry too much about other folks opinions. Except mine, of course...

(tee-hee)

Happy Trails!

Edited by Team Snorkasaurus

Never log a "found it" on your own cache. Even if someone else moved it and you had to look around for it.

What he said.

I once performed maintence a cache I owned and when I went to log the maintence I mis-selected and had selected "found it" by mistake. I quickly changed it to the maintence tab.

The question was, if I hide a cache, can I log it, and the answer is, you kind, but it is not in good taste to. Like people have said and I've done my mistake there is nothing on gc.com that prevents you from actually logging your own cache. Now if you did, don't be shocked if people say not so nice things about you.

In the situation where a cache has been adoptived and the people adoptiving it have not yet found it. I think in this case it is a judgement call for those people. The owner picked people he trusted to maintain the cache, and it is a cache the owner wants to keep up and going in the area. So if they log it, I do not see any problems with it. Like people have said, they did not hide it, and it is not fair to penalizie someone for doing a good deed and taking over a cache.

Here's a tangent for comment. I know of teams of cachers who use a shared geocaching name. If one hid the cache without the others knowing, then when its found by one of the others (without assistance) they claim a find.

Do people think that's Ok? The finders weren't the placers in this case.

JDandDD

Sure it's fine to log your own cache. I don't see a problem with that as long as you don't see a problem with me logging a find on your cache without actually finding it or even traveling to the state it will be placed in. I'll use Google Earth to find it. Its just like being there! :anicute:

Here's a tangent for comment. I know of teams of cachers who use a shared geocaching name. If one hid the cache without the others knowing, then when its found by one of the others (without assistance) they claim a find.

JDandDD

As long as the 'finders' weren't involved in the hide I see nothing wrong with it.

Some "local" cachers actually live in Texas and asked my help to get two approved (and their family will help care for them). The first cache I logged, because all I did was place the physical cache at the location which I had to find. The second one, I will never log, because I placed the physical cache and selected the location for it, though they worked out the multi-cache details and numbers.

Edited by Robespierre

JDandDD

As long as the 'finders' weren't involved in the hide I see nothing wrong with it.

I don't see anything wrong with this either, but it's not something i would do myself. Having my stats be right is a part of the game that i enjoy. Me hiding a cache and my wife finding it is fine, but i wouldnt want that find on my stats because it would throw things off, at least to my way of thinking. If my wife wanted to log a find on my cache then i would rather her go ahead and set up her own account to keep everything straight. IMHO :rolleyes:

JDandDD

Though it may appear cheesy to people who don't know you, I think its ethically fine. But its reasons like this that my wife and I have separate accounts.

gc.com cache sites provide ample opportunity to pad you stats, not just claiming your own cache. You can claim the same cache many times if the owner doesn't delete the posts. You can claim caches you never found unless the owner checks the log book and deletes your post. I call that cheating but the numbers you have for finds are only valid for you. They mean nothing to me (And vice versa). In the end, you must decide how much integrity you have vis a vis your numbers.