The My Finds Pocket Query Can Only Run Once Every 7 Days

GWRoss

The "My Finds" Pocket Query may only be run every 7 days -- TO THE MINUTE! This means that each week, my submission has to be done later and later in the day -- until it's no longer on the same day! You should allow a grace period of perhaps five minutes or one hour -- or allow the submission at any time within the same day of the week.

Edited by GWRoss

Since you have less than 500 finds, you can use regular pocket queries quite effectively (only archived caches are excluded).

Even when you reach more than 500 finds, you can use pocket queries and the date partition workaround.

With regular PQs, you can have them scheduled and not even have to visit the PQ page.

I would advise using GSAK, pulling in all your full queries first and then setting your queries to only activity in last 7 days, which will result in much more efficient PQs after your first load.

Speaking of the My Finds PQ why do you have to manually schedule it to run?

Because of the fact it sidesteps the 500 limit rule and would cause a huge resource load on the servers if it was set to just run every week. Its intention is to run when you need it and not at any other time.

-Raine

You have logged 5 caches this year if I counted right. Whats the big deal :anicute::anicute::anibad: :

You're right. It's not that big of a deal. It's just not working the way I think it should. (If I were designing the system.) I just wanted to help the Groundspeak guys make their site even better. :yikes:

Because of the fact it sidesteps the 500 limit rule and would cause a huge resource load on the servers if it was set to just run every week. Its intention is to run when you need it and not at any other time.

Ah, excellent point! When you have some free time how about creating a "My Finds in the last 7 days" that we could run weekly to download only our latest finds.

After you run it the first time, why would you ever need to run it again? The caches that you found are already in your GSAK database. You merely have to mark them as 'found'.

Because some of us GSAK users forget to update our finds, especially since I run it at home and work.

After you run it the first time, why would you ever need to run it again? The caches that you found are already in your GSAK database. You merely have to mark them as 'found'.

I don't keep a database, I have no need to. It's all online.

:laughing:

I don't keep a database, I have no need to. It's all online.

:laughing:

Except when it's not online ;-)

But everyone keeps a database - in your GPS, on paper or a PDA. The question is how you are managing that data.

In addition, there are features which the site doesn't offer which either have to be done manually on paper or with offline tools:

Caches along a route

Intersections and unions

Advanced filters on dates and logs

These are generally facilitated by combining more than one PQ and processing them to produce the desired result.

Whether the intermediate data is thrown away or not (i.e. whatever this maintaining a database thing means), the fact remains that these features like the "my finds" PQ are necessary for people to carry out these processes in a more automated fashion so they can spend time having fun caching instead of laboriously going through each other's list of caches to determine which ones to attempt and which ones are on this route etc.

Unfortunately, a lot of people simply want to have 15,000 caches on their GPS, which is silly. They are asking the wrong question.

One of the questions they should be asking (and the site should be facilitating) is:

How can I load the caches I will have the most fun doing on this adventure in to my GPSr?

It's not a simple question and it doesn't have simple answer, but loading your PQs into GSAK and using its tools with Google Earth does goes a long way towards solving it.

Because some of us GSAK users forget to update our finds, especially since I run it at home and work.

Running in both places, you should just backup and restore, but you can simply use a dedicated gmail account for your PQs and have both GSAKs pull them down.

TO ensure you're getting them in your PQs, just bring in an old-style my finds PQ for all states with activity in last 7 days twice a week. If you have more than 500 finds, partition it using the date hidden partition workaround.

If you happen to have had a find on a cache archived after you found it and before your PQ runs, you're out of luck, since TPTB don't want you to have those, but you can just trigger the new style my finds PQ and you've got them.

The "My Finds" Pocket Query may only be run every 7 days -- TO THE MINUTE! This means that each week, my submission has to be done later and later in the day -- until it's no longer on the same day! You should allow a grace period of perhaps five minutes or one hour -- or allow the submission at any time within the same day of the week.

I see your point with this. As its your all finds PQ why not when it gets to late for you take a week off from running it ? i know its a workarround so its just a suggestion.