Waymarking Site

Is anyone else having difficulty with this? I was perusing the list of waymarks when I would occasionally click on one to see if I could match the criteria in my local area. When I click the "back" button on my browser (IE), I would get "Warning, page expired" and couldn't get back to the list. I would have to go back to the Waymarking front page and get to the list and continue browsing. It was getting annoying! I never did reach the PA Historical Marker waymark listing. I was looking for that one as I took the time to photograph two markers yesterday.

Is there any way to make this easier??

I will mumble the word "viewstates" because that is the limit of my technical knowledge of what causes the "page expired" screen. A practical example: I am interested in tracking the growth of categories and for that I view the directory sorted by "largest" (number of waymarks in the categories). Once you get to page two of the sorted results, if you click on a category to read about it, and then press the "back" button, it says the page is expired and you need to hit the refresh key. That solves it, but it's two extra keystrokes and a surfer-unfriendly white "error" sort of screen. I know of no other way to return from a category's description page back to the sorted directory.

I'm not on the technical side of things so I'm unfamiliar with the reasons the "page expired" page is necessary, but here's a good browsing tip that I use for this and every website I visit:

Hold the [shift] key when clicking a link and the page will open in a new window. When you're finished with that page simply close the window and you'll be back where you began. If your shift key is broken you can right-click the link and select "Open In New Window". Happy Waymarking.

Hold the [shift] key when clicking a link and the page will open in a new window. When you're finished with that page simply close the window and you'll be back where you began. If your shift key is broken you can right-click the link and select "Open In New Window". Happy Waymarking.

Using Firefox you can ctrl-click to open in a new tab.

:P

For me, I prefer just clicking the HTML tags at the top that take me back to the topic. BACK has never proven itself to be 100%.

When I'm looking at THINGS>HISTORIC MARKERS>ONTARIO HISTORIC PLAQUES>Waymark I'm looking at

I click the level I want to look at.... so if I want to jump to Leprechaun's Pennsylvania Historic Markers then I would click on HISTORIC MARKERS in the grey box at the top of the screen, that frames the Waymark... and it takes me right there.

:laughing: The Blue Quasar

removed my attempt at inserting an image

Edited by The Blue Quasar

Though perhaps not specifically related to the OP, I do tend to find searching on the site a bit cumbersome. I have trouble homing in on anything near me even when I know nearby waymarks exist. And with all the categories, it's hard to decide what interesting things might be listed under which category.

I'm sure there must be an easier way to search for waymarks, but it eludes me. What I'd really love to see if the same search functions as we use on geocaching.com. They work well and are easy to use.

Edited by wandererrob

Well the usual problems are "Popularity Filter" {I don't use this feature... I wanna judge for myself what is cool}

If your PF is set to remove the less than desirable ones, you will miss them when you search.

I think the best recommendation is to create multiple ORIGINS using either coordinates or Waymarks you know about or have found.

When I look, I use HOME and WORK (I work about 30 miles (50 kilometers) from home) so I can easily check. The default area is 10 kilometers (which doesn't work perfectly I have read), but at the bottom of the page is also 50 km and 100 km, which are clickable.

I don't know if you are using imperial (US) measurements if it changes to 6 miles, 30 miles, 60 miles... I assume so.

Also if you look on the right hand side, you will see WAYMARK SEARCH... which works really well.

:rolleyes: The Blue Quasar

Though perhaps not specifically related to the OP, I do tend to find searching on the site a bit cumbersome. I have trouble homing in on anything near me even when I know nearby waymarks exist. And with all the categories, it's hard to decide what interesting things might be listed under which category.

I'm sure there must be an easier way to search for waymarks, but it eludes me. What I'd really love to see if the same search functions as we use on geocaching.com. They work well and are easy to use.

Another way is to go to a cache page for a cache near you. If you scroll down to just below the hints, you'll find a "Find..." Click the link that says "...all nearby waymarks on Waymarking.com". Love that feature. :rolleyes: