Google Earth Query

Fellow Geocachers,

I've just been experimenting deeper into google earth.

Great I can see cars at my workplace and in my garden even horses in my field.

However from these images I estimate them to be about 18 months or more ago.

Does anyone know how often the images are updated?

Will we ever see real time? Would we want the Big Brother effect?

All theories gratfully recieved.

Regards

Colin

Since recent images are likely to be highly valuable, and real-time images ludicrously commercial, I doubt you'll see them for free :D

However, I did read recently an Australian company is planning to provide live 250m resolution imagery pushed out to 3G mobile phone.

Since recent images are likely to be highly valuable, and real-time images ludicrously commercial, I doubt you'll see them for free

However, I did read recently an Australian company is planning to provide live 250m resolution imagery pushed out to 3G mobile phone.

lordelph

Thank you for the reply.

To further my opions it would be nice to see more recent images as many of my items have long since been disposed of.

But I think real time would be much too OTT (we might even be seen planting retreiving caches).

Regards

Colin

When it first came out there was a nice piccie of my house, with my new garage, new conservatory and new pation.......magic :lol:

Then they slightly upgraded the piccies of our area and lo and behold it was an oplder one!

No new garage, no new conservatory, no new patio :laughing:

Sheesh!

i believe that another problem with real time is that there just aren't enough satellites to cover the whole planet. As I understand it, even the military have to instruct their satellites to fly over an area of interest if they want to spy on something in particular.

As for update time, the high res area of our house is probably at last two years old, and maybe a lot more. However, Mary reckons the area of her school is less than that, so i think its just random. Trying to work out what day of the week it was taken is just as random as well!

Read on on another forum that it updates on the 15th of each month, but this is obviously not true. We have heard of several instances of updates showing older pics... and some of the areas are very, very old indeed.. yet still high resolution which is interesting and proves that very high res shots have been available for a very long time.

Has anyone tried to upgrade their subscription? We tried but never received the email with the code and, thankfully, they never debited our credit card. Unfortunately, Google is such a giant organisation that it is impossible to communicate with them - all you get are automated responses. Everytime we try to re-register we get an auto response saying a code has been issued to us! Stupid or stupid??

Some very interesting replies with good sense of humour.

No new garage, no new conservatory, no new patio

I was like wise peeved as I had had a clearup and the rubbish is still visible :laughing:

I read on another forum;

Check who has the copyright for the imagery you are viewing. Should show up bottom center

Seems most areas I looked at shows a 2006 copyright date on the screen but this obviously does not relate to the image.

So I have e-mailed the appropriate company for my particular area so will wait and see if a mere mortal like me even gets a reply.

Thank you to all those that have replied so far

Regards

Colin

Well the mere mortal did get a prompt reply.

Dear Colin,

Thank you for your e-mail.

I can confirm that the imagery shown on the Google Earth website of Berkshire was captured by us in 2003. If you were to visit our on-line system you would be able to search, view and download the images you require and would be informed of the date they were captured.

We do not have firm plans to recapture this area in the near future, but would probably do so in the next few years.

I am aware that Google writes the 2006 date on all photography, and so is not an indication of the date that it was captured.

I hope my e-mail answers your queries, but if not, please do not hesitate to contact me for further information.

Kindest regards,

Beverley Donnex

Sales Executive

GeoDATA 2006 : A Clear View

FREE educational seminar series for the GIS community showcasing the application of geographic data & related technologies.

Liverpool 9 May

Glasgow 11 May

London 23 May

Cardiff 25 May

Download further information from: www.training4gis.com

The GeoInformation Group

Telford House, Cow Lane, Fulbourn, Cambridge, CB1 5HB, United Kingdom

I think you may need to register to search the database as my brief experimentation without registering didn't work too well. Not sure I want to expend the cash either but nice to get the info and so promptly.

Regards

Colin

Come on Google guys, give us some higher detail up here.

Here's a medium resolution sample of what they might soon(?) be uploading for that location:

23WardDrive.jpg

You can add this orthorectified image to Google Earth as an overlay quite easily.

Edited to add a slightly better resolution zoomin

IV67PX.jpg

Edited by The Forester