"wgs84 To British Grid, Is There A Formula?"

Ah - an enormous, complicated document with loads of squiggly figures on - I'll take that as a no then!! :D

Thanks Milton. :D

Edited to add: I particularly liked the Abridged Molodenskiy Datum Transformation Formulas!! :huh::D

Edited by The Golem

Just a quick query, is there an easy way of converting WGS84 datum to British Grid co-ordinates in the field? :huh:

Why not use your GPSr to do it? (If you're taking it with you.)

-Wlw

Thankyou WLW - you are my techno-guru!! :D

I didn't know you could do that - I'll get round to reading the manual one day... :D

I didn't know you could do that - I'll get round to reading the manual one day... :huh:

Heavens - where would we be if people read the manuals? :D

Enter a waypoint in in the usual way, then go into "SETTINGS"*, change the location format to "British Grid" and the datum to "OSGB", then back to the waypoint page and read off the grid ref.

Don't forget to put everything back the way it was, after.

-Wlw

* - or, SETUP or whatever.

Just store a waypoint in one format and then change to the GPS settings to other format, not forgetting the datum, and read the waypoint back. There is no simple formula that can be jotted down although I think I have seen a Java applet for a mobile before now though.

This does raise the question, do all mainstream GPSs support the OSGB system?

Edited by alistair_uk

This does raise the question, do all mainstream GPSs support the OSGB system?

AFAIK virtually all handheld units do. Many sat nav versions don't, but some have third party apps to solve that. And handheld computer based GPSr's depends on what software is installed.