Best Camouflaged Cache....

i see that most caches are placed with the location or difficulty of the ground being what makes a interesting cache..i think more attention to the skill of camoflauge can make a great cache especaily when the terrain offers no logical place for a hide..you dont see many one star terrain and five star difficulty caches out there....or maybe you have....whats the best youve seen or placed ....anyone ever make a gilley suit for a ammo can....

Edited by team lagonda

I have found several highly camoed caches that vary from regular to micro, rather than provide links to the pages I can provide general descriptions. One was hidden in an oak tree (inside an acorn), one was hidden inside a hollow log (4" PVC pipe inside the log) one was hidden in plain view (an electrical service box), one was hidden in a pile of logs, one was hidden inside a hollow bolt. If you have no checked out the cool cache thread go there, you will find many fine examples.

ya,i was thinkin the real challenge would be to place the cache with as little cover as possible like in a bare open close cut field ,,maybe put cache in the ground so only top of can exposed then maybe glue grass to the lid to blend in with rest of the field so even if a muggle walked right on top of it he wouldnt notice....

The best one I ever saw was at a Chicago area picnic. The Genius who made it glued a waterproof box to the bottom of a duck decoy and had it floating in a river. Had some fishing line to pull it in.

Curious, how far from shore was this cache located?

Not more than two feet in a small calm water area. It looked like someone had lost a decoy and it had drifted downstream and got stuck there.

i see that most caches are placed with the location or difficulty of the ground being what makes a interesting cache..i think more attention to the skill of camoflauge can make a great cache especaily when the terrain offers no logical place for a hide..you dont see many one star terrain and five star difficulty caches out there....or maybe you have....whats the best youve seen or placed ....anyone ever make a gilley suit for a ammo can....

Ok, I have a 4 star difficulty with a one star terrain. No one has found it yet without very specific help, though a person in a wheelchair could get to it quite easily. There are NO trees, no bushes, and its on a busy walkway in full view. I had one finder say the only thing keeping it from a 5 star was that it didnt need a special tool to get it. I wish I could think of more like this one......These are my favorite type to find as well.

anyone ever make a gilley suit for a ammo can....

yes :):P

I just finished tying the net part. I haven't decided if I'm going to use a cloth backing or just drape the netting over the conatainer [1]. My next step is to leave the whole thing out in the weather for a few weeks [2] to see how it fares. In the mean time, I'm going to try and decide what color to paint the can. Right now I'm leaning toward a textured terracotta [3] spray paint available in Home Depot

[1] at this point it's a .30 cal. ammo can but that's subject to change if I find a better container.

[2] or after the next good rain.

[3] the swatch looks a lot like red clay. A material that's quite abundant here in Alabama

If you're using an ammo can, just close it and submerge it for 30 seconds to a minute. If it leaks, pull the seal, wipe it down with armor all exterior, flip it over, reinstall, and retest. Those cans are built to do their job for longer than most caches last. If you're using texture paint, make sure you sand it first. Priming it a similar color wouldn't hurt either. I've found that the texture paint chips quite easily, which exposes whatever color is under it. You can do basically the same thing with rustoleum spray paint and sand. Paint, sprinkle sand as soon as you get done with a section. You can build layers also by repeating in the same spot, just make sure to use a flat color. This too can chip, but when it does, it either exposes the same color paint, or sand.

There's an ammo can cache in our area that has stumped many folks,myself included. It's not painted...just your good 'ole army green, 30 cal ammo can. The owner found a depression in the ground in the woods and layed the ammo can flat in the depression. He then covered it with some "woods debris" and layed a couple of sticks over it. Almost 50% of the logs are DNF's. My wife and I hunted for an hour looking for it the first time and ended up with a DNF. Later, we went back and found it pretty quickly, thanks to a little "friendly advice". The hiding methodology is deceptively simple, but very effective. I had actually walked right over it several times. I think the "randomly placed" sticks, approximately arm-sized, was the key. Subconsciously, you would step over the cache not wanting to step on the sticks. The area looked totally normal....there wasn't anything about the hide that looked out of place. All the successful finders have apparently been very good about putting everything back just like they found it. It still remains one of the more difficult caches to find in this park.

Edited by Guitar4Him