Paperless Palm Troubles!

zoomman

Hello All!

I have no problem performing a pocket quary and loading cach descriptions to my palm M125 in an ebook format, but I am getting alot of unwanted symbols and marks between the actual usable descriptions. The other problem is that all the hints are comming at the end in the ebook appendex and I can't match the hint with the description. I also have to do a search for each cach title to find it? This has been way harder than just printing them out! Am I doing something wrong or is this the best I can do with a palm?? Any help will be appriciated, I really want to use my palm to avoid all the printing and paper usage!! :huh:

Thanks Zoomman

Try using a program like Cachemate. It's a LOT easier to manage. It's only $8, and well worth it. Puts them in alphabetical order, and you can catagorize them. Also has the hints included. And has a place to sketch a log. I used to do it like your doing it with ebooks, and it was a hassle.

Have to agree with the geoman. GSAK and Cachemate are the way to go. I know there are a lot of folks out there who want to do everything for free, but for $28 you get a system that just works. I've actually thought of sending more money to the authors - I love these programs that much. If you need some help setting them up, I would recommend going here for a good tutorial.

Zoomman, like JHWK I think it was the best $28 software combination around. It works, is versatile and best of all Simple! You can set up different named databases in Cachemate and add catagories for closer control of your data if desired. We will never even consider going back to paper.

my caching buddy and i just went paperless. cachemate and gsak are the way to go. we bought used palms on the e site and invested in these two programs.. we weren't info types so we had to learn a bit but it has been one of the best investments. no more sorting and looking for the sheets with descriptions and hints and logs it is all right there.

would like to learn more about filters and all the stuff i haven't even discovered about gsak..anyone know of a tutorial for the next step after setting up the basics?

:D Although I've migrated to the GSAK/Cachemate combo, I started with the Spinner/Plucker programs. Once you learned how to use them, they provided good usable input. They are free. But, I would at least go for the Cachemate software at $8 since it is fairly easy to use. As for GSAK, I just couldn't cache without it anymore.
Hello All!

I have no problem performing a pocket quary and loading cach descriptions to my palm M125 in an ebook format, but I am getting alot of unwanted symbols and marks between the actual usable descriptions. The other problem is that all the hints are comming at the end in the ebook appendex and I can't match the hint with the description. I also have to do a search for each cach title to find it? This has been way harder than just printing them out! Am I doing something wrong or is this the best I can do with a palm?? Any help will be appriciated, I really want to use my palm to avoid all the printing and paper usage!!

We have never had these probelms with the plucker/spinner combo. I use the instructions found here geocacher-u

But to each his own, I guess its whatever you get used to.

OK,

That helps! Actually after posting this last night I happened across cachmate and dtayed up to around 1:30 am downloading and setting it up and WOW! it is great. It does everything I was looking for!! I will check out gsak from what I have initially seen the filters could help as I get more into this!! I also found a used Palm M125 a few weeks ago off of ebay for $20 bucks. That is money well spent for this hobby!! Thanks again to all who responded and so fast too! :D