You Guys Are Great!

Wanted to let you guys know i found great info. :D

Being a licensed big game guide I use GPS units on a regular basis (currently i have an e-trex), i also get to see a bunch of the toys that clients bring to camp, they mostly buy these just a couple of weeks before arriving and have just barley turned them on. The one occurance i have noticed time and again is how hard it is to just turn on a magellan unit and start using it compared to a garmin. Even with that i have been considering a magellan hoping they had made some improvements. This seems not be the case after reading many post, the one thing i did see was garmin taking care of of their customers with fast replys etc. As with anything new glitches are to be expected its just the way of technolgy. :D Its how a company responds to this that matters, while there is not a perfect GPS a company that strives to keep its customers happy with a good overall unit that will handle most of what i want is a key issue. Then there are the posters on this forum who are clearly here to help with any annoying glitches that may come up and great advice on overcoming these problems KUDOS to all!!!

after reading through a FEW hundred post and looking past the obvious bashing a select few engage in. :huh: I have decided to purchase a 76csx. and would like imput on mapping software for this unit, this is something that i did not feel was adequately addressed in the post that i have viewed, as you can guess a TOPO type of mapping is very important. thanks in advance.

Intermountain Angler :D

Unless you have LOTS of spare time on your hands to "roll your own" maps, you're limited to Garmin maps. For you use, the two obvious choices are Garmin's US Topo series (which are essentially USGS 1:100K topo maps) or their 1:24K maps (East, Central or West), which cover national and some state parks.

Magellan loads elevation data onto their street maps, so the man-made info on their topo maps are more extensive. Garmin using USGS maps, is perhaps better on natural features, but like those maps, the info on made-made data is sparse and dated.

Peter has more details about the differences here.

Edited by Sputnik 57

Wanted to let you guys know i found great info. :laughing:

Being a licensed big game guide I use GPS units on a regular basis (currently i have an e-trex), i also get to see a bunch of the toys that clients bring to camp, they mostly buy these just a couple of weeks before arriving and have just barley turned them on. The one occurance i have noticed time and again is how hard it is to just turn on a magellan unit and start using it compared to a garmin. Even with that i have been considering a magellan hoping they had made some improvements. This seems not be the case after reading many post, the one thing i did see was garmin taking care of of their customers with fast replys etc. As with anything new glitches are to be expected its just the way of technolgy. :D Its how a company responds to this that matters, while there is not a perfect GPS a company that strives to keep its customers happy with a good overall unit that will handle most of what i want is a key issue. Then there are the posters on this forum who are clearly here to help with any annoying glitches that may come up and great advice on overcoming these problems KUDOS to all!!!

after reading through a FEW hundred post and looking past the obvious bashing a select few engage in. :laughing: I have decided to purchase a 76csx. and would like imput on mapping software for this unit, this is something that i did not feel was adequately addressed in the post that i have viewed, as you can guess a TOPO type of mapping is very important. thanks in advance.

Intermountain Angler :laughing:

Having a Garmin 1620 in my car, and a Magellan eXplorist 600 for field use -

I do not understand how you can say it is hard to turn on and use a Magellan...

Usability as far as I am concerned is perfect - layout of controls, and

joystick for map navigation - I really can not think of any way to inprove it.

With the downloaded topo 3D maps, I literally use this daily.

Sounded like bashing to me...

Robert

Bashing??? what a crock. get your panties out of a twist. i literally read hundreds of posts from THIS site looking for good and bad from both companies, i have done many hours of research along with real world experiences with hunters who had many problems easly using units they brought with them. sorry if your panties are in a twist on these observations. :P