Going Paperless, Palm Tungsten E2 Any Good?

bocody

I'm seriously considering going paperless and was wondering if anyone has had any experience with a Palm Tungsten E2? I'm sure it is adequate, just wondering if anyone has one and how you like it. Also which software to you prefer? Thanks in advance for the help.

Bob

I and my wife have a Tungsten E2 and I love it. I haven't cached with it yet (a little scared to take it out in the wild) but I'm sure with cahemate and other programs out there it will work fine. Palm makes a metal hard case that would hold up pretty well. The Tungsten is relatively inexpensive for all it does. I think you will be happy with it.

Good luck.

edit: spelling

Edited by Torchbearer

I'm seriously considering going paperless and was wondering if anyone has had any experience with a Palm Tungsten E2? I'm sure it is adequate, just wondering if anyone has one and how you like it. Also which software to you prefer? Thanks in advance for the help.

Bob

I started out with a Palm Zire 31. While it was perfectly adequate for paperless caching, and all the other things I used it for, I wanted to upgrade. The failing of the Zire 31, and the reason for the upgrade, was the screen. It was extremely difficult to read in the bright sunshine. I don't have that problem with the E2.

As for software, I'm still using the same one I used on the Zire 31. Cachemate was the only one I used for a long time, and just recently I started using GSAK as a compliment to Cachemate. They do everything I need. GSAK has a bit of a learning curve, but it's not difficult. Personally, I think the Palm's are great. The battery life is superior to the IPAQ my husband had. He's upgraded to a TX and loves it.

Just make sure that you put a screen protector on whatever you get, and a good case is a must.

We have the TX, but the E2 should be ok. We just finished our first substantial paperless expedition (to Myrtle Beach SC). It was wonderfull! Once you try it you will never look back. We took paper as a backup and never looked at it. We use GSAK and Cachemate. They work together seamlessly. GSAK will export a .PDB file that loads into Cachemate in the Palm when you hot sync. We also use GSAK to export waypoints into our GPS. Cachemate is one slick application. You can set up separate databases for different areas of interest and add catagories within the database if you want to. For instance we had about 60 caches in the database and added a "To Find" catagory that we moved caches to the night before that we were going to look for the next day.

The E2 is the replacement to the E which I previously used. I stepped up to the TX after I lost the Tungsten E. I actually prefer the E over the tx because I had such high expectations of the TX. I have used cachemate on both units and loved them both, but I lean more toward the E / E2.

BUT! If you are going to use the E2 for other things - fine. But if it is just for caching, then you can set your sights a lot lower. Any of the older palms do just fine. I run around with an older M515 and have stored up to 3000 caches on it without a problem. Think you can find the M500 series on e-bay for less than $50. Or, if you are hell bent on a newer palm, try out the new Z22. It's only $99, has plenty of horsepower, and you can stick it in a zip-loc baggy for those rainy sessions.

:D I used a Tungsten E (not an E2) for awhile. Then I got a mapping program for it, but was disappointed in the speed of the map redraws. I then upgraded to a Tungsten T5 and was still disappointed in the software performance. So I believe that it was really a case of crummy software. The E2 should be a great unit. Like others have said, get a carrying case. I use a metal T5 case and it has saved my unit during some harmful drops onto rocks.

I am using an E2 for caching and it is awesome! I'm running Cache Mate, and it works great. It has other great features too! I use it for work also.

I've got mine up and running and it's working great. I'm using Cachemate as of now. A bit of a learning curve for an old guy but I think I've got it!

I'm using a Tungsten E, Cachemate, GSAK, with the aluminum case. Well, I was, until it died and now I have another used one on the way that I won on eBay last night... But my question to everyone here who's paperless: What do you do for maps? I still have to print out paper maps because my eTrex Summit doesn't have mapping, and I have yet to find the right map software for the PDA. Do y'all use mapping GPS receivers?

I'm using a Tungsten E, Cachemate, GSAK, with the aluminum case. Well, I was, until it died and now I have another used one on the way that I won on eBay last night... But my question to everyone here who's paperless: What do you do for maps? I still have to print out paper maps because my eTrex Summit doesn't have mapping, and I have yet to find the right map software for the PDA. Do y'all use mapping GPS receivers?

I use a Quest to get to the location and a Geko 301 on trail. I've never missed maps on my TE.