Cache Cash?

bigpix

I've been noticing some significant bucks being left in caches lately. Not knowing what to do I leave it alone. Is it there for the taking or is this some sort of trick? Bogus dough?

What's the deal?

This could be paying for gas and lunch.

The only way to safely find out is for you not to disturb this potential bogus dough, call me when you come across it and I'll go collect it for "testing". :ph34r:

If it's stamped with Where's George somewhere on the bill, then it's a bonus game that a lot of cachers participate in. Exchange your Where's George bill(s) with the ones in the cache and log them at Where'sGeorge.com. Each user/player builds up a base of bills and a score. Adds even more interest for some in the caching scene.

Way more than WGs.

I can understand maybe in a newly placed cache as a FTF prize but in an existing cache?

If it's stamped with Where's George somewhere on the bill, then it's a bonus game that a lot of cachers participate in. Exchange your Where's George bill(s) with the ones in the cache and log them at Where'sGeorge.com. Each user/player builds up a base of bills and a score. Adds even more interest for some in the caching scene.

Way more than WGs.

I can understand maybe in a newly placed cache as a FTF prize but in an existing cache?

Well, paticularly if the denomination is over $100, then the bill may be a fake bill, such as those fun $1,000,000 and 1 billion dollar bills sold by novelty companies on the web. Other than that, if it looks real, it probably is. When I was out in Iowa and Wyoming a few months ago, a couple of local caches - -which had been in place for years and were hardly FTF sites -- contained hundred dollar bills, left as a trade item by a friendly local cacher. And, one cache also contained three $15 gift certificates for dinner at a semi-famous local restaurant near Jackson, WY.

Way more than WGs.

Well, paticularly if the denomination is over $100, then the bill may be a fake bill, such as those fun $1,000,000 and 1 billion dollar bills sold by novelty companies on the web. Other than that, if it looks real, it probably is. When I was out in Iowa and Wyoming a few months ago, a couple of local caches - -which had been in place for years and were hardly FTF sites -- contained hundred dollar bills, left as a trade item by a friendly local cacher. And, one cache also contained three $15 gift certificates for dinner at a semi-famous local restaurant near Jackson, WY.

These were not billion dollar bills or bogus looking.

Would it be considered bad form for me to return to these caches for the cash?

Way more than WGs.

These were not billion dollar bills or bogus looking.

Would it be considered bad form for me to return to these caches for the cash?

Remeber the 'trade even or trade up' rule. If you take $10 out of the cache, you should replace it with something worth at least 10$. If you go take the money and leave a golf ball you found on the trail? Way bad form.

Remeber the 'trade even or trade up' rule. If you take $10 out of the cache, you should replace it with something worth at least 10$. If you go take the money and leave a golf ball you found on the trail? Way bad form.

I've done the opposite. Found a tick-bite tool I wanted but didn't have anything to trade so I left $5 (there was a $3.99 sticker on it).

I've been noticing some significant bucks being left in caches lately. Not knowing what to do I leave it alone. Is it there for the taking or is this some sort of trick? Bogus dough?

What's the deal?

I don't know what kind of money you're talking about, but I often leave $1 bills in place of trade items when I run out or forget my swag in the car. For example, yesterday we did 9 caches with my 2 kids and I only had about 14 trade items in my bag. The last 4 trades were all $1 bills.

What's the deal?

I don't know what kind of money you're talking about, but I often leave $1 bills in place of trade items when I run out or forget my swag in the car. For example, yesterday we did 9 caches with my 2 kids and I only had about 14 trade items in my bag. The last 4 trades were all $1 bills.

I found three caches lately with $20 ea. in them.

Trade up? I don't think so. I'll just leave the cash and a couple of my Peanuts patches.

What's the deal?

Trade up? I don't think so. I'll just leave the cash and a couple of my Peanuts patches.

Where are you hunting caches lately? Those certainly aren't my caches :anicute: .

Outside TBs and certain geocoins, anything left in a cache is fair game to take. While trading even is a good ethic, how many of us carry trade items worth $20? I'd take the 20 and leave a few nice items and not worry if they add up to $20 in value. I know when I put nice items in my caches I don't expect someone to sit there with a calculator and figure out what an even trade is. As long as they aren't leaving a dirty golfball or pocket lint its fine. Heck, I've put some nice things in my caches and gone back for a maint visit a year later and they are still there. I put the things there for people to take!!

Edited by briansnat

Heck, I've put some nice things in my caches and gone back for a maint visit a year later and they are still there. I put the things there for people to take!!

Well, it hasn't exactly been a year on my cache (heck, it's barely been two months!), but the copies of "Patrolling with Sean Kennedy" and OC ReMix's "DooM: The Dark Side of Phobos" are still there.

I woulda thought they'd be the first things to go, not the orb puzzle, eyebolt, eight-sided die, and small screwdriver! :rolleyes:

If you try unfolding those $20 bills you will find that they are not real. Just the two outside edges, nothing in between. I'm not sure who is leaving them.

And THAT folks is the final answer to my question.

Thanks Harry.

If you try unfolding those $20 bills you will find that they are not real. Just the two outside edges, nothing in between. I'm not sure who is leaving them.

And THAT folks is the final answer to my question.

Thanks Harry.

I think Klizsch is the culprit with those.

:) Hmmmmmm......been seeing a lot of those around caches, too :(. I disagree with BrianSnat; I don't think "klizsch" is responsible! (In fact, I know SO, but cannot reveal the identity of my source) :( . Might be wise to investigate.....maybe there are "clues to unfold the mystery" :) . Could this be CSI: Geocaching? :) Any 'brave soul' unfold one? :wub::unsure::wub::(

PS for those "WheresGeorge"-ers out there, when you log your bill it is not advisible to use the word "geocache/geocaching" in your entry. Use 'caching or the waypoint number (GC _ _ _ _ ). The site has a filter to detect "geocacher" bills and not include in some bill count statistics (see site).

Edited by klizich

:huh: Hmmmmmm......been seeing a lot of those around caches, too :). I disagree with BrianSnat; I don't think "klizsch" is responsible! (In fact, I know SO, but cannot reveal the identity of my source) <_< . Might be wise to investigate.....maybe there are "clues to unfold the mystery" :o . Could this be CSI: Geocaching? :( Any 'brave soul' unfold one? :( :( :(:)

PS for those "WheresGeorge"-ers out there, when you log your bill it is not advisible to use the word "geocache/geocaching" in your entry. Use 'caching or the waypoint number (GC _ _ _ _ ). The site has a filter to detect "geocacher" bills and not include in some bill count statistics (see site).

I know what you did!

Glad I never went back for the easy money. Of course I would never have admitted being duped.

Well, I hadn't checked the reverse of the false $20 before. But I was out yesterday on a Treequest trilogy, and showed the cacher I was with the bill. The 'expletive deleted' might have been expressed at the quality of the cache (Think we were at Sentinel of Minnisink Marsh at the time), or it might have been aimed at the cacher whose name appears on the reverse of the bill. Come to think of it, the expletives directed at Treequest's hides did come earlier.

Hmmmmmmm...........I have spent the last few days pondering, okay investigating, the Cache Cash phenomenon in order to identify the culprit. All seems to be for naught and I am greatly perplexed as all clues seem to lead to a dead end. Who or What is RESPONSIBLE! This case may need Sherlock Holmes or Gil Grissom for solution. Enclosed is some of the "evidence" I have collected from various caches; perhaps you may have better luck! Of course, the "case" can certainly be considered an "X-(pletive) File"!

Oh, the humanity!

fakeklizich20.jpg

:D:P:D:rolleyes::P:unsure::D:huh::huh::D:(:(

I like to travel light, I have a hard enough time dragging myself up some trails. So, I like leaving $1 scratch-off lottery tickets in caches. They are genuine Pa. lottery tickets, so who knows, one day I may leave $10,000 in a cache.

Edited by bottlecap

Well, speaking of cash in caches....

Our newest Psycho Urban Cache, called Psycho Urban Cache #11 - Strange Island Getaway (GCVJ29; it is Premium-member-only), which is a multi located on two islands in a rough river, was published today (on 4/23/2006) and it contained a ten dollar bill and an unregistered Signal the Frog 2006 Geocoin as the FTF and 2TF prizes.

Best of all, although the cache was found today by the first three finders, they chose to take only the Signal the Frog geocoin and they deliberately and kindly left the $10 bill for a later finder, so it is still waiting there for someone else!

Incidentally, these three early finders really paid their dues today in finding this two-stage cache -- the river was almost two feet over the danger level set by NOAA and MD DNR for use of the river by humans in watercraft, and they were soaking tire, wet, muddy and quite bloody by the time they finished the challenge! (Better yet, Sue and I were there and we got to watch all the fun!) :unsure::laughing::ph34r: