60csx Waas Woes

LaneO

If I understand correctly, when WAAS correction is active on the 60CSx that small "D's" will appear under the satellite numbers on the Satellite page. I have never had this occur on my new unit with either the original firmware or revisions 2.5 and 2.6.

WAAS / EGNOS is enabled in setup. I am located in S. Louisiana and have used it on drives to Houston. It has plenty of run time but never has a WAAS lock been encountered.

Should I have a problem receiving WAAS signals in this area or is there possibly a problem with the unit?

Edited by LaneO

one of mine did that awhile ago. I started it up with out a clear view of the sky. I did a master reset and when starting up first time after I brought it too a place with a clear view of the sky.

If you don't do a reset try leaving it on for hours undisturbed with a clear view.

one of mine did that awhile ago. I started it up with out a clear view of the sky. I did a master reset and when starting up first time after I brought it too a place with a clear view of the sky.

If you don't do a reset try leaving it on for hours undisturbed with a clear view.

Thanks Capt! I have left it outside for numerous hours and still no lock. Which satellite numbers have the WAAS signal? I see 35 only briefly (I understand it is being moved).

Thanks Capt! I have left it outside for numerous hours and still no lock. Which satellite numbers have the WAAS signal? I see 35 only briefly (I understand it is being moved).

Same issue here. I'm in central Minnesota (minneapolis area), and I do occasionally see 35, but for seconds at time, sometimes maybe for a minute or so.

I never see the "D's" where I live, but had six or seven showing on a recent trip to the Olympic Peninsula, along the west coast. It seems the situation is strongly dependent on your location. Around here (no "D's") my Map60CS shows +/- 20 ft... on the OP (with lots of "D's) the error showed +/- 12 ft.

If I understand correctly, when WAAS correction is active on the 60CSx that small "D's" will appear under the satellite numbers on the Satellite page. I have never had this occur on my new unit with either the original firmware or revisions 2.5 and 2.6.

WAAS / EGNOS is enabled in setup. I am located in S. Louisiana and have used it on drives to Houston. It has plenty of run time but never has a WAAS lock been encountered.

Should I have a problem receiving WAAS signals in this area or is there possibly a problem with the unit?

I'm surprised no one has chimed in were you live to verify if WAAS comes in for you. I would think either 35 or 33 would. 33 comes in on the West coast I believe.

Try a master reset on it and take it to a high hill with a clear view of the sky. Turn it on for about 20 min. without WAAS eneabled. Then when you have a fix enable WAAS and wait another 30 min. or so for it to find either 33 or 35. Make sure you have a clear view and keep the gps straight up.

Master reseting for the unit I believe can be found at www.gpsinformation.net amoung others as well on the net or even Garmins site.

I'm surprised no one has chimed in were you live to verify if WAAS comes in for you. I would think either 35 or 33 would. 33 comes in on the West coast I believe.

Try a master reset on it and take it to a high hill with a clear view of the sky. Turn it on for about 20 min. without WAAS eneabled. Then when you have a fix enable WAAS and wait another 30 min. or so for it to find either 33 or 35. Make sure you have a clear view and keep the gps straight up.

Master reseting for the unit I believe can be found at www.gpsinformation.net amoung others as well on the net or even Garmins site.

I live in Southern Oregon near Medford. I get 35 occasionally but it disappears quickly. 47 also shows up. I believe this is the one I get my "D" from for the signal strength. This gives me a +/- 9 feet accuracy.

47 was located low on the western horizon.

I've got my 60cx outside now, and it is showing 35, but it blinks, about every 3/4 of a sec or so, both the sat logo and the signal strenth bar blinks. I've got min of 4 lines of signal strenth. No 'D' yet on anything. Any clue on what the blinking sat means? Does it mean it is reading the almanac (or ephiderides?)?

FWIW, when I'm driving on the freeway, I often get +/- 8 feet. Not bad.

Is there an indicator on the 60CSx that lets you know when you are receiving a signal from one of the ground based WAAS reference stations?

On the GPS satellite page you will get a "D" in the bar when you get WAAS or Egnos correction

However you will never receive a signal from the ground based reference stations. They are only received by the WAAS satellites. They are used as a point of reference by the WAAS satellites to determine the interference from the atmosphere to create a reference signal that the WAAS satellite then sends to your unit.

At least this is how I understand it.

However you will never receive a signal from the ground based reference stations. They are only received by the WAAS satellites. They are used as a point of reference by the WAAS satellites to determine the interference from the atmosphere to create a reference signal that the WAAS satellite then sends to your unit.

At least this is how I understand it.

Thanks! :D

I have read most of the posts in this thread and others on the WAAS problems, but I am still confused! I have my 60cs and my 60csx sitting side by side and although the 60csx locks on sat's almost immediately on start up it still doesn’t lock on any WAAS sat's, that I am aware of. What are the WAAS sat's numbers? My 60cs on the other hand locks on 35 with no problem, WAAS is enabled in both units, and I have done a master reset on both units, (at least I think I did) not too sure about that, any information about the hidden Garmin options would be appreciated also. Anyway, just not sure what to think about this situation, I am aware of the 35 move and possible intermittent correction data, but my 60cs is sure locking on to it. I have loaded Garmins latest firmware 2.6 on the 60csx with the same results. Perhaps this is a larger problem that Garmin will have to address!

Edited by Oneyedjack

I have read most of the posts in this thread and others on the WAAS problems, but I am still confused! I have my 60cs and my 60csx sitting side by side and although the 60csx locks on sat's almost imediatly on start up it still doesnt lock on any WAAS sat's, that I am aware of. What are the WAAS sat's numbers? My 60cs on the other hand locks on 35 with no problem, WAAS is enabled in both units, and I have done a master reset on both units, (at least I think I did) not too sure about that, any information about the hidden Garmin options would be appreciated also. Anyway, just not sure what to think about this situation, I am aware of the 35 move and possible intermitant correction data, but my 60cs is sure locking on to it. I have loaded Garmins lates firmware 2.6 on the 60csx with the same results. Perhaps this is a larger problem that Garmin will have to address!

"They are depicted on the GPS as Satellite IDs 33-51 which is actually a NMEA convention. Each WAAS/EGNOS/MSAS satellite will have its own unique PRN"...

The text above is an excerpt from an article I have been reading about WAAS and handheld receivers. ID's 33 through 51 on Garmin units are for WAAS utilization. (The link to the full article is provided below). Like you I am still uncertain if I should be able to receive a WAAS signal at this time with my 60CSx at my geographic location.

WAAS and its Relation to Enabled Hand-Held GPS Receivers

Edited by LaneO

I have read most of the posts in this thread and others on the WAAS problems, but I am still confused! I have my 60cs and my 60csx sitting side by side and although the 60csx locks on sat's almost immediately on start up it still doesn’t lock on any WAAS sat's, that I am aware of. What are the WAAS sat's numbers? My 60cs on the other hand locks on 35 with no problem, WAAS is enabled in both units, and I have done a master reset on both units, (at least I think I did) not too sure about that, any information about the hidden Garmin options would be appreciated also. Anyway, just not sure what to think about this situation, I am aware of the 35 move and possible intermittent correction data, but my 60cs is sure locking on to it. I have loaded Garmins latest firmware 2.6 on the 60csx with the same results. Perhaps this is a larger problem that Garmin will have to address!

"They are depicted on the GPS as Satellite IDs 33-51 which is actually a NMEA convention. Each WAAS/EGNOS/MSAS satellite will have its own unique PRN"...

The text above is an excerpt from an article I have been reading about WAAS and handheld receivers. ID's 33 through 51 on Garmin units are for WAAS utilization. (The link to the full article is provided below). Like you I am still uncertain if I should be able to receive a WAAS signal at this time with my 60CSx at my geographic location.

WAAS and its Relation to Enabled Hand-Held GPS Receivers

I did notice tonight after work that my 60cs was picking up 35 and 48, my 60csx neither, and as a mater of fact the 60csx was only picking up 10 sat's not 12 like the 60cs. I powered the 60csx off and on, drove home and it's now starting to pick up 35 but very intermittently. I also noticed that as both units picked up 35 they both dropped 19. I will let it set for some time to see if I am able to get all the data to set in. I do not remember seeing 48 before, but it must be that I was never looking for it either. Thanks for everyone’s help in these threads, I have learned a lot the last couple of days.

My deck has a clear view of where 35 is, so I put my 60cx outside, and it saw 35 no problem. After about an hour I routinely get 35 now, even inside near a window (8 foot or so). Problem is no 'D' indication. It just flashes. I'm in the Minneapolis area. I've zapped garmin an email, so when I get a reply I'll post that too.

My deck has a clear view of where 35 is, so I put my 60cx outside, and it saw 35 no problem. After about an hour I routinely get 35 now, even inside near a window (8 foot or so). Problem is no 'D' indication. It just flashes. I'm in the Minneapolis area. I've zapped garmin an email, so when I get a reply I'll post that too.

My 60cs does pick up 35 with the "D" indicators and seems to work just fine; I noticed tonight the accuracy +- was at 6ft. 60csx every so often would act like it was starting to receive 35 but after a short time it was gone, and never did have the "D" indicators show up!

If you get the signal, and then it quickly releases it again, it may be that the satellite is broadcasting the "don't use" status signal. A Garmin unit will then read the satellite, check the status and then release the channel again, since it finds it of no value.

#33 is an Egnos satellite, appropriate if you are in Europe. If the GPS receives that in the US (should be on the east coast, then), it should release it rather quickly, when it determines it's outside the service volume of the satellite.

If you get the signal, and then it quickly releases it again, it may be that the satellite is broadcasting the "don't use" status signal. A Garmin unit will then read the satellite, check the status and then release the channel again, since it finds it of no value.

#33 is an Egnos satellite, appropriate if you are in Europe. If the GPS receives that in the US (should be on the east coast, then), it should release it rather quickly, when it determines it's outside the service volume of the satellite.

Yes, but both of my receivers were side by side and the 60cs had a good lock on 35 and the 60csx didn’t. In fact the 60csx was only locking onto 10 or 11 sat's not the full slate of 12 like the 60cs.

Over the weekend me and my wife were out and I got a lock on 35 on my 60cx. The D appeared on the sat. page. A week before that I was out and got a lock on 33. I am near pittsburgh pa. I do not see it all the time but have been picking it up lately. Sometimes I will see the 35 come and go but never get a lock. But I can get a lock also. Just my 2 cents.